My choice of the top defensive rifles to own - Page 2

My choice of the top defensive rifles to own

This is a discussion on My choice of the top defensive rifles to own within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man, you just didn't Yeah, you straight up called my AR a varmint rifle Hey, I do have a pre-64 '06 so maybe I ain't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: My choice of the top defensive rifles to own

Man, you just didn't

Yeah, you straight up called my AR a varmint rifle

Hey, I do have a pre-64 '06 so maybe I ain't entirely lost
    mulle46 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    No reason not to have a few 91/30's on hand either. Cheap, reliable, and lots of 7.62x54 ammo still out there. I have been thinking about cutting the barrel down on one of mine to 18 or 20" and removing the excess wood to make it lighter, freakin thing is heavy.

Good choices on rifles Glockman.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

What a hoot!

I have examples of all of your list, gman, and could live with them in your order as well.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Man, you just didn't

Yeah, you straight up called my AR a varmint rifle

Hey, I do have a pre-64 '06 so maybe I ain't entirely lost
    Well, when it's all said and done, it is a varmint cartridge, and one of the weaker ones at that:)
    If we look at the centerfire 22's from the weakest to the most powerful; the22 Hornrt,218Bee,221Fireball,219Zipper, 222, 223, 22.250, and 220Swift, even compared to the 22-250 and Swift, it's weak.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Wish I had an 03 Springfield or the Enfield. Now those are a soldier's rifle.

I think your list is spot on.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

My sentiments are very much in line with glockman's. I might trade a '17 Enfield for the Springfield, but I have to concur than when the purpose of launching rounds is to put an enemy down, the .30 cal battle rifles get my vote over the 5.56. And every time I shoot that SKS I like it more!
    oneshot likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Gman, I can see you're liking your M1A. They are great guns, shooting a real battle cartridge. I enjoy shooting my SOCOM-16 more than I do my Mini-14, but previously the price of ammo meant that I shot the Mini more often. Nowadays, even 5.56 ammo is about a buck a round, so that may change....
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

What about an FAL, or a PTR-91? or an AK-47.....AK-74?

I like all those guns. The M1 Garand is one I intend to own at some point - just for fun/history. I don't have any lever actions at all yet

Austin

Good list. I would also maybe put the SMLE over the Mauser or the '03 Springfield - smooth action and a 10-rd capacity.

I might also add the FN FAL on that list somewhere.

It would be interesting to re-order the list, factoring in current prices. For the money, I'm not sure you can beat a lever gun. Easy to mount a scope on one too, if you choose to. Not so much for some of the other options.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

OD*
    Good list, GMan, but I'd have to add "the right arm of freedom", the FN-FAL.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I like the M1A...in fact I have one and I wouldn't ever want to give it up. However, my neighbors live close so I see no role for a .308 in a typical HD role. My AR is ideal for that as far as I'm concerned. If I was way out in the country it might be a different story. My order of battle/combat rifles for, say, societal breakdown, may be as follows:

AR (bottom line: it's light, ammo is easy to find, and inside 100 yards it works quite nicely)
    AK (similar to above, but with more power...ranked lower because it's harder to shoot accurately, and frankly people think it's scarier, which could become a factor)
    M1A (need I say more?)
    SKS (ranked above the M1 because it's handier and arguably easier to reload, plus a permanent bayonet is never a bad thing)
    M1 Garand (classic)
    British Enfield .303 (my No 4 Mk II is hands-down the smoothest bolt action I've used...no other bolt-gun out there is better IMO, plus it holds twice as many rounds as most)
    M1903A3 (second smoothest bolt, good sights, especially for its era)
    Mosin-Nagant M44 (handy and very powerful, plus the permanent bayonet and easy supply of ammo)
    Mauser (works well but ammo is a bit less common, sights aren't as good as the Enfield or 1903A3, less handy than the M44)

There are surely others that would work well. I very much like the idea of a levergun in .44 magnum or in .30-30. That being said...I don't own any. The ones on the list are actually in my safe, so that makes them a bit more realistic for me.

CJM
    Scar 17 ftw!
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Good list, GMan, but I'd have to add "the right arm of freedom", the FN-FAL.
    I plum forgot that one!

Hey, is your new avatar the " jelly bean "?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I plum forgot that one!

Hey, is your new avatar the " jelly bean "?
    Yes sir, good eye, Delf A. "Jelly" Bryce.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I would select from my arsenal based on the situation, but I have several options.
    -AR15
    -AK-47
    -M1 Garand ('44)
    -M1 Carbine ('44)
    -SKS
    -Mauser 98k (German, '44)
    -91/30 ('43)
    -Rem 700

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links