My choice of the top defensive rifles to own

This is a discussion on My choice of the top defensive rifles to own within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was just admiring my little collection of rifles, wiping each down with an oily rag and doing an ammo inventory of each, and was thinking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: My choice of the top defensive rifles to own

My choice of the top defensive rifles to own

Was just admiring my little collection of rifles, wiping each down with an oily rag and doing an ammo inventory of each, and was thinking about how pleased I am with everyone of them, and how any single rifle in the group could serve my purposes just as well as the next.

And so, I got to thinking of rankings for each, according to my standards, and I thought I would share with you.

1) The M1A battle rifle. To me there is not a single rifle that comes close to ruling the battlefield, as the queen in chess rules the board, as the M1A. Regardless of mag capacity, it has the range accuracy, and power to put down an opponent with finality. The bolt works well dry, and it requires minimum lube on the exterior rail. The rotating bolt and access to the chamber from the top are merits that lend themselves to a discussion of their own.
    There is IMO only one rifle to rival it, and it could just have easily have been my No 1 choice;

2) The M1 Garand. Chambered correctly for the 30-06 cartridge, with its clip loaded 8 rounds, and its obscene power in this modern area of varmit cartridges, it was designed when the object was to win wars, by killing the enemy. The clips to my mind are not a negative, and they can be carried in good numbers fully loaded in the common "britches" pocket. And...you will never have to worry about spring fatigue.

3) The 03 Springfield. Oh yes, I went there. Still chambered for the 30-06, it is truly a battle rifle. Rugged in its design with a fully adjustable aperature battle sight, this rifle can still get it done. The only one negative is not the capacity, its the thin blade of the front sight. But this can be remedied. Its 5 round fixed mag can be topped off quite easily with a stripper clip, and the action is buttery smooth, allowing a real rifleman to get off quick, well aimed shots.

4) Model 94 Winchester/Marlin 94 or 336. Both of these "ancient" designs were designed as fighting rifles from the ground up. With the ability to load as you go, without disabling the rifle, and being chambered for 30 caliber and larger cartridges, they are meant for business. Whether hide or hair, anything on the recieving end is going to be hit hard.

5) 98 Mauser or any of its variants.

6) SKS. Cheap, fires a 30 caliber bullet, and is dead nuts reliable.

And there is my top picks for rifles to have on hand. Of course its obvious I left out the varmint chambered rifles, and this was a matter of personal choice and reasoning based on what I desire and expect from rifles used for serious purposes, and not by any predjudice against them.
    If I were still in the service of the armed forces, where I had alot of firepower on my side(read that as volume of fire), then I would probably have the AR listed somewhere between 3 and 4.
    But, being on my own without the benefit of a fire team or squad, my choices tend to fall on the more powerful and decisive rounds.

Anyway, it was fun to think this thru, a mental exercise that gets you thinking about what you really need, and feel comfortable with.

Any thoughts, or comments? What are your choices and what impacts the decision? Enviroment? SHTF logistics? Because everyone else does?
    Cory1022, Hopyard, mano3 and 4 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

All great rifles. I chose an AR because I was familiar with the design from my military service. I may still get a SA M1 if available later, although it would be a different system to get familiar with. Although adding another rifle caliber means more logistics to worry about/ stock.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Glockman you failed to mention the M1A can be topped off with stripper clips. You can load either one with a single round with ease. Also you can strip down an M1 or M1A in a matter of seconds with no tools. No tiny parts to loose as I found out by reading how to disassemble my AR. Plus they shoot a real bullet really well.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    All great rifles. I chose an AR because I was familiar with the design from my military service. I may still get a SA M1 if available later, although it would be a different system to get familiar with. Although adding another rifle caliber means more logistics to worry about/ stock.
    I too am intimately familiar with the M16A2, however, it no longer factors into the scheme of things for me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    While I have never had an SKS or M1A I either own or have owned all the rifles you mentioned and agree they are some of the best battle rifles ever made. One I would add is the Mosin-Nagant also a 30 caliber and a strong and accurate rifle.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Only variance to your order would have been with the SKS in front of the '03.
    I agree with your summation of the M14, and believe it outclasses everything, and everything that comes close is just that ,close; FAL's CETEME's (HK's), AK-47(SKS), M16, Steyr AUG, with the FAL probably coming closest.
    FN SCAR will probably stand the test of time as well, once its been battle proven in harsh conditions.
    Last edited by oneshot; December 31st, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    The only one that I lack on your list is the M1A1.

I thought about it long and hard. A friend of mine has a "match" that will slap a 9" gong at 600 yards until you get bored with it. Even in rapid fire. Bang,bang,bang...twang,twang,twang...that quick.

I love that rifle. Its got a Springfield LE Scope on it and it will do whatever you ask it to do and do it with regularity.

M1 Garand. '43 Springfield. Every now and then I'll mess with and wonder about where its been.
    Mausers...got several.Got some Germans,Yugos,Turks,Swedes, a Spanish and an Argentine.
    Win 94's, got a few of them too. My favorite in that platform is the Marlin .444. Its is the deer slammingist rifle on earth.
    SKS's. Got a few. Chinese and Yugo. I like the Yugo better.
    Got an '03 and a '17 Springfield. Excelllent rifles and accurate. Made in the day when a butt smash to the head or gigging someone with an 18" long bayonet was a real possibility.

So, here I was contemplating buying an M1A1 for the simple reason that I didnt have one. I walked into the LGS one day and there sat a brand new AR10. I got it with several mags and mounted a Leupold 10X tactical on it. Its a tack driving maniac.
    Its shorter, lighter and unlike the M1A1 its infinitly customizable. That pretty much knocked the edge off my want for the M1A1.

Even so, I could see me having one someday...if your President would allow me to do so.
    OD*, oneshot, zacii and 2 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

.if your President would allow me to do so.

Hey, thems fightin words!
    nontechguy, zacii and msgt/ret like this.

Added benefit for me is my wife is familiar with the AR/M16 platform also.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    Hey, thems fightin words!
    I thought that might get your attention...
    aus71383 likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I agree with the M-14 on top spot. I carried one, with a switch on the right side, for 2 years in Vietnam. BEST BATTLE RIFLE EVER but in full auto after the second round you are shooting at the moon.
    BkCo1 and kaikane0812 like this.

My first thought is that you have a heck of a nice collection.
    Call me old fashioned, but I love my Marlin 30-30. I've bought and sold several of them down through the years, but my last is my 336SS, and it's staying with me.
    It'll take down anything I need to for food or SD/HD.

It's certainly not an AR, but I can't foresee myself making 300 yard shots anyway.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not a bad list at all
    I have the M14
    M1 Grand
    SKS in a few version
    Marlin for the 30-30
    bunch if .22's
    Enough Ar's to arm the Family and then some
    Few Ak's
    Enfields 303 They are fun
    Why limit the options and the fun, you pick up a lot of stuff over a life time.
    glockman10mm and nontechguy like this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I think I would replace the 03 or the Mauser for a enfield MK V or SMLE. That would be be bad..........The SMLE wasn't that the rifle that controlled the world for a while?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Just to share my in order of battleness..

M1A, M1A scout, M1 Garand, SCAR 16, Noveske SBR 5.56, 18 inch SPR, two more various ARs, UZI group industries F/A, keltec-sub 2000 9mm, SW MP 15-22, 700 sps tactical 223, MoSin Nagant.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links