Good alternative to the AR... - Page 2

Good alternative to the AR...

This is a discussion on Good alternative to the AR... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mlomeli So, this isn't a which AR is better, but since AR's are in extremely short demand...if you were looking for a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Good alternative to the AR...

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    So, this isn't a which AR is better, but since AR's are in extremely short demand...if you were looking for a good rifle, but didn't get an AR "in time", what would you look at...could be a bolt, lever...

OR, would you even consider (if you own one) selling it, due to high demand and getting a decent rifle and making a few bucks.
    I don't own one but I would consider selling one, although I would wait a little while. Selling a $1200 setup for $4000 in a month would make sense to me.

Anyone thought about the Ruger Scout Rifle?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Been thinking alot about a lever action 357 myself as it would also share ammo with one of my handguns, making one less caliber I would need to stock up on.
    Good idea. Did the same thing.

Mini14 but just as hard to find. I do not agree that an AK is a replacement for an AR. I own s few Ak's but they are not replacements for an AR.
    The SKS can be a fair option. Face it if AR's are out so will most if not all other semi autos.
    Get a good bolt action and shoot them from farther away. All my 308's are bolt action.
    Not sell anything I own now or ever I am not in the gun business. I just bought another AR15 one of the best for 999 with 2 mags and a nice case on the 29th so don't fall for the double price stuff yet. It will settled down some before they are banned.AR15huldra2.jpg

A lever gun can be topped off while the gun is still in battery and capable of firing the chambered round. That's a significant advantage. And for the crazy current prices of a semi-auto military-pattern rifle, you can outfit your whole family with lever guns.

I would only lean toward a bolt action if you can see further than 300 yards in your area - though I'm not sure you could argue self defense at that range (that's a topic for another day). In that case, the bolt action's ability to use pointed spitzer bullets gives it an advantage. However, the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo gives the old lever gun some range/accuracy as well, so...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Last week I took a 20" .357 mag lever action and a 7.62x39 bolt action (5 round box magazine) to the range to have a little fun. Both were under 6 lbs, fun to shoot, and fairly fast on the shoulder. The 7.62 has a little more punch, but the .357 out of a 20" barrel is very capable.

Best of all, neither would scare the general public like an ugly military killing machine like an AR or AK, which are obviously the most powerful weapons ever devised, and just holding one can turn anyone into a homicidal maniac (sorry, been watching too much CBS).

12 gauge pump action shotgun (Either Remington or Mossberg) or a lever action in .357. Plenty of firepower to defend my home, ymmv, And if it's NOT enough firepower it's highly doubtful that a AR-15 or AK47 (both of which I also own) would have been enough.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you want a semi-auto that is affordable, fill out the CMP forms and get yourself a Field Grade or Service Grade M1 Garand.

Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

Otherwise there are lots of affordable Yugo SKS rifles floating around. I would look there. If you want a bolt-gun, the Mosin-Nagant, either 91/30 or M44, is an excellent choice for cheap. There are Yugo and Czech Mausers floating around right now as well. As others have mentioned, you can never go wrong with a nice, new .30-30 from Marlin. Good luck in your search, hopefully you find something that works for you.

Which would have better ballistics? a .357 or .45LC from a lever gun? Ammo price would have to be a fator I suppose?

Marlin 336. No where near as effective as an AR as far as capacity or speed, but that is the way I would go.

12-31-2012 At 1200 Fleet Farm had quality AR15's in stock at the same price they sold for all year come with a nice case thrown in.

VIP Member
    An affordable rifle in 30-06 or .308? Look at the Remington 7400.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    WHat are you wanting it for? HD/

You could get a High-point carbine, I would get a .45 first, then a .40
    Semi Auto Rifles for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

a Kel Sub is too expensive.
    I'd think about an SKS if you want HD, and something you can set up to go hunting with.
    Semi Auto Rifles for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If I were to get rid of my ar. Which Im not anytime soon. Id would replace it with a ruger american in 308.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    I'm thinking possibly a 30-06 or .308. Or possibly something even/better for hunting deer/elk....
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    30.06 /.308 more than enough for deer. Not sure about elk as I haven't hunted them.
    A 30-06 is plenty to take elk, or anything that is in Continental United States.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links