Good alternative to the AR...

This is a discussion on Good alternative to the AR... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Winchester 1894 30-30 is where it's at....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Good alternative to the AR...

Winchester 1894 30-30 is where it's at.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    If I were to get rid of my ar. Which Im not anytime soon. Id would replace it with a ruger american in 308.
    I don't plan on getting rid of my AR either, but I would like to add a Ruger American in 308 to my collection.

los
    M1A (M14) in any platform.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Mossberg makes a bolt action 223 that uses any AR magazines, so you can use a 30rd mag in it. If you were looking at just an inside the home defense type of gun, I would seriously consider a ruger 10/22. Get a high cap mag for it and I don't know anyone that would want to have that raining down on them. Good luck with your search!

Good alternative to the AR...

I like the Marlin 1895 in 357/38sp.

I just purchased one. I was surprised at how smooth the bolt is. 10 round polymer magazines were easy to find, it is light, mounted a scope on it (conventionally), really nice laminated stock, just need to get out and shoot it. Even wife who says every AR looks even said she really thought it was "pretty".

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Anyone thought about the Ruger Scout Rifle?

I have an M4, and like it for defensive purposes. Equipped with EoTec Optics, and a surefire light, I feel like it serves it's purpose. It's light, I can carry it, nine 30 round magazines and everything else I may need with no problem if I need to be mobile.

I've numerous hunting rifles, in various calibers, all the way up to 300 Ultra-Mag, and 45/70 that can be loaded to a 500 grain bullet. Either of those rifles will take any animal on the planet. Wouldn't want to shoot either of them a lot, and the ammo weighs quite a bit more then the small .223.

I think if I didn't have an AR/M4 carbine, I'd probably opt for the new Ruger Scout, which is chambered for the 7.62 round. It's a bolt action rifle, that appears to be very well built. It would serve as an adequate rifle for defense, and the round is heavy enough for most large game as well. Not as fast as a semi-automatic rifle, but with practice, can be very effective. It's shorter than most of my hunting guns as well, which would be handy if pressed into a defense role.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links