Defensive Carry banner

Good alternative to the AR...

21K views 36 replies 34 participants last post by  KBSR 
#1 ·
So, this isn't a which AR is better, but since AR's are in extremely short demand...if you were looking for a good rifle, but didn't get an AR "in time", what would you look at...could be a bolt, lever...

OR, would you even consider (if you own one) selling it, due to high demand and getting a decent rifle and making a few bucks.

#2 ·
Depends on my intended use.

Defense and hunting medium game (hogs, deer) out to 200 yards, lever gun in a rifle cartridge (Win 94, Marlin 336, Savage 99, Browning BLR).

Defense and fun recreational shooting, lever gun in a handgun cartridge - .357, .44, .45.

Big game or long-range hunting, or serious target shooting, a bolt action.

#3 ·
Under normal circumstances, I'd say an AK. The two guns have been compared for decades, despite having nearly zero similarities. But they are a great alternative. As are SKS's. However now more than ever, something that will likely be much easier to get, will be a Marlin 336. Just as good in skilled hands. Shoots a more potent round (not to take anything away 5.56, as I am a fan of the 5.56), will be much easier to obtain right now, as will the ammo it shoots, and will do just as good of a job defending you as an AR15 will. I do think the AR has the edge on a lever gun, but lever guns still have a place in defensive use.

#4 ·
I think first you must take into consideration where you stand with the AR platform. To most, it is the "Hammer of Thor". To people such as myself, it is nothing more than a coyote rifle.
I like the AR, but truthfully, its a low item on my list of guns to own.

Any of the lever guns and bolt guns fire a much, much more powerful round. A hit on the shoulder of a man with a soft point 30-30 would probably tear the arm off, and the damage of even that hit would be unsurvivable without medical care right now. A 44 mag or even 357 mag from a rifle would be about as destructive.

If you choose a bolt gun chambered for a 243, 257 Roberts, 270, 30-06 or such, you are definitely into a powerful gun, one that far exceeds the capabilities of the 5.56.

So, like gasmitty stated, it depends on your purpose.

Reactions: oneshot
#6 ·
If I couldn't get an AR Id be looking at a Ruger mini 14, mini 30, SKS, M1 carbine, or an AK in semi auto or a Savage 110, Stevens 200, or an Axis in bolt action. All of these can be had in comparable cartridges, and comparable prices. For my own uses an AR is a varmint gun and a bolt action will do fine!

#7 ·
During the previous AWB, the gun I bought for HD was a '94 Winchester with the 16 inch barrel chambered in .44 Spl/.44 Mag. Ten rounds of .44 Spl in a light, handy, compact carbine made a fine defense load inside the house, while the .44 Magnum loads were more than adequate for anything else I could ask the little carbine to do.

#8 ·
I have an AR but felt myself pulled along with the crowd recently and had just about decided to buy either another AR or a mini-14. At the last minute, I decided to go a different direction and ordered a Rossi M92 lever action in .357 with 20 inch barrel. The ballistics of the .357 in a rifle won me over.

#11 ·
30.06 /.308 more than enough for deer. Not sure about elk as I haven't hunted them.

#12 ·
If you are hard pressed for cash, and are only now realizing that you would like to be armed before drastic legislation makes it impossible, I would suggest the Mosin Nagant rifle 91/30. The last I checked, these are still available for less than 130.00 dollars from a number of sources. They have been proven in the crucible of war and come with a number of useful accessories. Also, the ammunition is still available in bulk quantity and is reasonably priced.

#14 ·
My buddy has the Remington pump in 30/06 and loves it. It makes for a very natural transition for anyone used to a pump shotgun. I've always wanted one in .35 Whelen but they are danged hard to find. Magazine fed too! Carry a few extra mags and you're good to go!

(I've often wondered why Remington doesn't make a 20 round mag for it. Or, how about a Remington pump in .308 Win with an 18" barrel and 20 rnd mag? Ah well)

#17 ·
Anyone thought about the Ruger Scout Rifle?

#36 ·
I just purchased one. I was surprised at how smooth the bolt is. 10 round polymer magazines were easy to find, it is light, mounted a scope on it (conventionally), really nice laminated stock, just need to get out and shoot it. Even wife who says every AR looks even said she really thought it was "pretty".

#19 ·
Mini14 but just as hard to find. I do not agree that an AK is a replacement for an AR. I own s few Ak's but they are not replacements for an AR.
The SKS can be a fair option. Face it if AR's are out so will most if not all other semi autos.
Get a good bolt action and shoot them from farther away. All my 308's are bolt action.
Not sell anything I own now or ever I am not in the gun business. I just bought another AR15 one of the best for 999 with 2 mags and a nice case on the 29th so don't fall for the double price stuff yet. It will settled down some before they are banned. Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Rifle

#20 ·
A lever gun can be topped off while the gun is still in battery and capable of firing the chambered round. That's a significant advantage. And for the crazy current prices of a semi-auto military-pattern rifle, you can outfit your whole family with lever guns.

I would only lean toward a bolt action if you can see further than 300 yards in your area - though I'm not sure you could argue self defense at that range (that's a topic for another day). In that case, the bolt action's ability to use pointed spitzer bullets gives it an advantage. However, the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo gives the old lever gun some range/accuracy as well, so...

#21 ·
Last week I took a 20" .357 mag lever action and a 7.62x39 bolt action (5 round box magazine) to the range to have a little fun. Both were under 6 lbs, fun to shoot, and fairly fast on the shoulder. The 7.62 has a little more punch, but the .357 out of a 20" barrel is very capable.

Best of all, neither would scare the general public like an ugly military killing machine like an AR or AK, which are obviously the most powerful weapons ever devised, and just holding one can turn anyone into a homicidal maniac (sorry, been watching too much CBS). :para:

#22 ·
12 gauge pump action shotgun (Either Remington or Mossberg) or a lever action in .357. Plenty of firepower to defend my home, ymmv, And if it's NOT enough firepower it's highly doubtful that a AR-15 or AK47 (both of which I also own) would have been enough.

#23 ·
If you want a semi-auto that is affordable, fill out the CMP forms and get yourself a Field Grade or Service Grade M1 Garand.

Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

Otherwise there are lots of affordable Yugo SKS rifles floating around. I would look there. If you want a bolt-gun, the Mosin-Nagant, either 91/30 or M44, is an excellent choice for cheap. There are Yugo and Czech Mausers floating around right now as well. As others have mentioned, you can never go wrong with a nice, new .30-30 from Marlin. Good luck in your search, hopefully you find something that works for you.

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.