SKS near me for $400.00 - is this a good deal?

This is a discussion on SKS near me for $400.00 - is this a good deal? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A local pawn shop has a few SKS rifles in stock. This one is a Chinese Norinco. It has the bayonet and 30-round mag and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SKS near me for $400.00 - is this a good deal?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

A local pawn shop has a few SKS rifles in stock. This one is a Chinese Norinco. It has the bayonet and 30-round mag and seems to be in good condition.

Based on the potential coming legislation and the price, should I go ahead and take the plunge?

Any advice is appreciated.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

CJM
    Yes
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

This is a reasonable fair price for a Chinese sks. I would check to see if the 30 round magazine is an after market mag, or an akm/47 magazine. Many people took the original ten round magazines off of their sks rifles, and added thirty round after market magazines. Many of them work fine, but many also create jamming issues and do not work as advertised. You may have to wind up replacing this magazine if it does not work properly. The other possibility is that the rifle is an sks-d and takes detachable ak mags. If this is the case, do a quick inspection to be sure the rifle is in good condition, and jump on the deal. Sks-d rifles are sought after and are easier and faster to reload than a traditional sks rifles with stripper clips. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

I'd probably do it. If you hate it, I suspect it'll still be worth at least the $400 you paid. Don't be shocked if that 30-rd mod isn't so reliable though.
    aus71383 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Go there now and buy it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nechaev View Post
    This is a reasonable fair price for a Chinese sks. I would check to see if the 30 round magazine is an after market mag, or an akm/47 magazine. Many people took the original ten round magazines off of their sks rifles, and added thirty round after market magazines. Many of them work fine, but many also create jamming issues and do not work as advertised. You may have to wind up replacing this magazine if it does not work properly. The other possibility is that the rifle is an sks-d and takes detachable ak mags. If this is the case, do a quick inspection to be sure the rifle is in good condition, and jump on the deal. Sks-d rifles are sought after and are easier and faster to reload than a traditional sks rifles with stripper clips. I hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Thanks. Yeah, I see plenty on GunBroker going for $600.00 and up with no better equipment.

So how do I check if the mag is aftermarket? Will it be stamped with a manufacturer's name somewhere?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I don't own any SKSs, but they were originally fed by stripper clips into an internal magazine. The removable magazine conversions make them look more scary, but they don't always work perfectly. You could always change it back to the original internal magazine - parts should be easy to find - or sell it to someone who wants to pay more. Sounds like a reasonable deal, especially in this market.

Austin

Is it a blade bayonet, or a spike?

NMB
    Go get it before its illegal.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I picked one up from my buddy's pawn shop two years ago for $250. I've seen them as high as $800 at some gun shows!!!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    I bought a chinese one in 93' and took the 10 round drop mag out to accomodate 5 rnd mag for hunting, and subsequently bought a 30 rnd. and it is all metal, no writing on it, and funtions well. The 5 rnds work good also.
    I have a scope on mine, and is as accurate as my 30-30.
    I paid $123 for it, and wish I'd bought a crate or 2 of them.
    If you have the $400, I'd do it.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I would. They are wonderful guns. Ammo is (was) cheap! Tough gun with a great round. I loved mine.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I have a scope on mine, and is as accurate as my 30-30.
    How is your scope mounted?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I remember when they were $62 because nobody wanted them and sellers didn't want to lug them back home. Good gun, high-gouging prices. I'd probably just get one of those old surplus 7.62x54r short rifles for $100 and invest the rest in ammo and a good steak dinner or something. Unless it's off paper and they come for the guns after the passage of some kind of ban act, they would know WHERE to look for it and might lose it anyway? Just a thought. Maybe a quick flip for money investment? I'm of the philosphy you can own whatever, but don't need 30 round HEAVY magazines weighing down a rifle. I've owned a few of them-it gets really heavy. Personally if the enemy comes I'll be looking for head shots from .22's and taking their rifle and gear. My guess is if economy keeps getting worse, invest some money in canned food. Food prices are steadily rising, it will last of a while and you will most certainly need it eventually anyway. Good luck.

Buy it and buy it fast. You can probably get $75 for the mag in a couple weeks anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links