Opinions on the Kel-Tech SU-16

This is a discussion on Opinions on the Kel-Tech SU-16 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking of getting an 223 carbine as a SHTF rifle. I like the 223 because it is plentiful and easy to find (unlike ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Kel-Tech SU-16

Senior Moderator

Opinions on the Kel-Tech SU-16

I am thinking of getting an 223 carbine as a SHTF rifle. I like the 223 because it is plentiful and easy to find (unlike 30 carbine). I have an L1A1 as a battle rifle but am wanting something lighter and handier. I was considering a Mini-14 or a AR clone. I ran across a SU-16 and saw were they take the M-16 mags which is a plus in my book, but don't know anyone who has shoot them. Please help price is a major factor in this decision.

2. Remove Ads

Just my $0.02; I'm a fan of kel-tec firearms, I own a P-11 and a P3AT, and am quite happy with both of them. I have shot an SU16C, and found it to be fun range toy.

All the same, I'd be hard pressed to justify an SU16 over a decent AR clone for defensive duty. Reliability and durability just isn't there. Yes, the AR is going to be more expensive. For a defensive weapon, it's an easily justified expense to me.

If price is the only issue, you might consider a good AK clone. Cheap, plentifull ammo, reliable as can be, and tough as nails.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

They are what they are, a great trunk/truck gun and a good to get you by in a true SHTF ,, may not hold up to long term use like an AR,,but every one I have seen use them like them

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I know a few guys who participate in tactical shootout competitions. Because they live in Cali, they purchased those weapons. They performed flawlessly at the range.

One broke during the first heat of their first competition using them. I wish I recall what had busted. But they opted to drop those immeadiately.

Like people said, I've enjoyed plinking with them. However I'm not sure I could justify using those over an AR that might cost just a little more.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

if price is a problem(under $500.00) ,then you can't go wrong.i've put about 2000rds.through my su16a without one hick-up of anykind.the trigger isn't great but this baby can sure lay down some fire.every magazine i'v tried in it works fine too.don't waste your money on the AR type fore end,just to cheap.this year i'm getting a 5rd.mag.,to make it legal to hunt with,& taken it predator hunt'in.

su16

Buy an AR, I'm in calif. so I'm limited. SU's are fun plinkers but not durable enough for SHTF. I think the only answer in my location is a MINI14. I know there are some issues, however I can't find any other answer.
    Bill

Lead Moderator
    For the price difference, I would buy an AR. They are a proven design & can exchange parts easily , unlike the Keltec.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm planning to buy a SU16B in the next few months. I have other Kel-tecs and they work 100% of the time and the company stands behind their products.

I will be using it as a car/truck gun. Folding in half it would also work as a stealth backpack gun. The same mags as an AR are great. For short term SHTF it would be a fine weapon.

For a TEOTWAWKI, it would not be my first choice nor a AR IMHO. But what is the likelyhood of this happening? Not likely.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

not a bad gun for the price. kel tec will fix or send you any parts that you need if any thing goes wrong. and it will take m16/ar mags. hard to beat this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I like the SU16C because just the stock folds under, the gun can still be fired while folded. What I like about the SU16 is the Bolt functrions like an AK, so it doesn't foul the bolt as much as an AR does.

It may not be as durable as an AR but I think that is splitting Hairs, a polemer based firearm is a polmer based firearm regardles who makes it. Neither will stand up to the abuse a wooden stock can.

I have mention before that I think the Ideal would be a su16 style rifle chambered for 308.

I think one chambered for 7.62x39 would be perfect.

Betty used to have an SU-16 and got rid of it, as I recall. Someone needs to ask her why that was..
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Senior Moderator
    Thanks guys,

I bought a Forged AR lower and am going to build my own.

My wife says it is just another way to put a gun on Lay-o-way.

I'm now thinking about getting a Mossber 500 with a folding stock to go behind/under the seat of the truck as a SHTF gun.

VIP Member
    My SU-16 would not reliably feed out of any brand 20 and 30 round mag without me supporting the base of the mag with my hand. The firing pin broke, but I've been told that was an early model firing pin that had that problem. I sent it to Kel-Tec and they fixed it with the newer pin, and they supposedly fixed the mag problem. I still had the same feeding issues, so I got rid of it because I just got tired of dealing with it.

Otherwise it was a decent, inexpensive, folding gun that was reasonably accurate. The folding bipod felt kinda cheesy, but worked well enough.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Great trunk gun. Two 30 round mags with a 4x32mm scope and a hard case work just fine for me. Add the two 10 round mags that fit in the stock and I have 80 rounds at a moment's notice with a scope if needed. (Also, if you plan on buying one, a must is the pull-ring "mod" that you can get from Home Depot for the folding stock. You can find it on various Keltec boards.) The only other thing I've been thinking about is buying a couple more 30 round mags to fill up the case. lol

Last edited by soundwave; January 15th, 2007 at 10:30 AM.

I think one chambered for 7.62x39 would be perfect.
    If Kel-Tec did that. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I love my Sub-2000. It fits along with three 31rd Glock mags in my attache case. With plenty of room for my files, paperwork, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links