5.56/ 223 defense ammo

5.56/ 223 defense ammo

This is a discussion on 5.56/ 223 defense ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What kind of rounds are good for defense and affordable? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 5.56/ 223 defense ammo

5.56/ 223 defense ammo

What kind of rounds are good for defense and affordable?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Well, the two don't usually go together. The "good stuff" is never the cheap stuff. I like Black Hills 5.56 with a 77 grain OTM bullet.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

There is a specific sub forum for this.

I like Hornady 75 gr 5.56mm TAP. It is good, but it isn't cheap.

Nothing is cheap at the moment - I don't think anyone has anything in stock. If you have a 5.56mm barrel, M193 is pretty good and relatively cheap during normal times. There are lots of threads and websites that go into great detail on what is best - not many on what is cheapest, because you can't really have both at the same time.

Austin
    atctimmy likes this.

CJM
    Good for defense and affordable don't belong in the same sentence. Affordable is what you practice with, Good for defense is what you depend on for safety. Hornady TAP rounds are bad medicine.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

RKM
    Hornady TAP is good non-barrier blind stuff as is Black Hills Mk262. I keep a mag loaded with Mk318 as my go to ammo. It's not the "best" there is, but it's a good overall choice when you factor performance and price, in my opinion. I have two other mags loaded with Mk262 and 75gr TAP.

In a pinch m193 will probably do the trick.

You will do just fine with LC 193 55 in the .223 or 855 62 in the 5.56 (Green Tip). If you want fancy stuff it will work also but you'll pay for it.
    While I buy both for my AR's I prefer the 855 62 Green tip for the 5.56. I also have a few older real .223 Ar's with 20 inch barrels the the .223 193 55 gr is right for.
    When I shoot the .223 in the AR's with 16 inch 1 in 7 or one in 8 twist I do alter the zero a bit.
    Last edited by Smitty901; January 1st, 2013 at 01:05 PM.

Is this for HD?

How about:

- what feeds/functions reliably in your gun?

- what will not overly penetrate and sail into the next county?

- maybe if you can afford an AR with all the accompanying tid-bits, you can afford a good handgun and/or Shotgun?

Just tossing a 'CSG' into the mix. have you ever fired an AR indoors (its brutal, even with Peltors on)? Food for thought...

Cheers,

I use Hornady 223 Rem 75 gr TAP FPD ammo. It has functioned flawlessly out of my Windham and was quite accurate. Cheap? Not so much. It is as close as I can find to avoiding the overpenatration issue and at the same time providing the defensive performance that I believe I need.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Another vote for Hornady TAP. If my rifles werent lost in the tornado last year, thats what I would use.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I have a box of pdx1s for hd. they were $30 for 20 rds. Thats before the prices went up tho...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I like varmint ammo. Wal-Mart has Federal American Eagle 50gr varmint tipped ammo for $12 a box and it shoots great out of my AR. I have some around for coyote hunting so I've taken a liking to it because it shouldn't have over penetration issues.

What kind of rounds are good for defense and affordable?

Right now anything you can get.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

For the price, TBBC is a great choice. 62gr bonded. If you can find it, Federal xm556fbit3 is a great choice. It's basically the FBI's hot loaded 62gr TBBC.

Personally, I want 50gr (70gr is good too, but 50gr has advantages within the first 200 yards) Black Hills TSX for almost every conceivable scenario with the 5.56 75gr TAP for indoor situations where innocent people may be on the other side of the wall. Still, I'd prefer TSX in that role as the benefits outweigh the risk, in my opinion.

I can go on and on about this providing a ton of links from industry pros and reports from shootings, but if you search my posts, you'll find a number of times where I've gone into great detail.

A basic rule is go heavy for OTM and light to medium for bonded, though heavy is fine too in many instances for bonded.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Re: 5.56/ 223 defense ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    Is this for HD?

How about:

- what feeds/functions reliably in your gun?

- what will not overly penetrate and sail into the next county?

- maybe if you can afford an AR with all the accompanying tid-bits, you can afford a good handgun and/or Shotgun?

Just tossing a 'CSG' into the mix. have you ever fired an AR indoors (its brutal, even with Peltors on)? Food for thought...

Cheers,

I didn't say "home defense" just defense period if the shtf. I have a glock 23, and a Remington 870 as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RKM
    I think a perfect, general defensive round, home defense or not, is Mk318. It's not the best. It's not the worst. But it's affordable enough to stock up on and provides excellent ballistics. It's barrier blind so use it at your own risk indoors.

You can get TSX or the federal bear claw stuff, but it's usually much more expensive. However, it's some of the best performing 5.56 ammo you can buy. If you can afford to stock up on ammo that's $1 or more per round, do so. If you can't, mk318 is a great option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links