What do you think of the Kel Tec KSG for home defense?

This is a discussion on What do you think of the Kel Tec KSG for home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never seen one in person, so I've never even tried one out... But the KSG looks like (on paper) it'd be a good home ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: What do you think of the Kel Tec KSG for home defense?

I've never seen one in person, so I've never even tried one out... But the KSG looks like (on paper) it'd be a good home defense shotgun. Thoughts?

For the price you could buy better. The idea of it is cool to me, but for the price... not worth it.

Awesome weapon but highly overpriced!!!!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

LGS asking $3000
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I tend to agree. It's an interesting, and intriguing, design with an impressive capacity, but even when they weren't subject to the 'gun ban is coming' price increases, they were way expensive. I think you'd be a lot better off with a 5 to 7 shot pump with a side saddle. With the money you'll save, you could buy handguns, long guns, get into reloading, buy a gun safe, or probably any combination of those!
    68blackbird likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I just can't imagine the need for a very large (9lbs) cumbersome shotgun for HD. A $300 Mossberg 500 Persuader 12 ga is, IMO, far better and of course several thousand dollars cheaper.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    I had a demo for a short time. It was cool, but it was more of a novelty than anything else. Build quality left a lot to be desired too. Buy yourself a nice "traditional" HD shotgun and save the extra cash for training and ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wouldn't trust my life with any Kel Tec. These things were way overpriced even before the panic buying set in.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Ex Member
    A $199 Maverick will do the job 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.

Looks cool, overpriced, quality not impressive. I haven't fired one. $3000 sounds crazy. I got my Benelli for $1187 10 years ago....and that was expensive. It holds 7+1+1

Austin

IMHO if you need 14+1 to stop a home invasion you must really got some People angry at you, like "Scarface" Angry
    MamaMaria and Jemsaal like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    IMHO if you need 14+1 to stop a home invasion you must really got some People angry at you, like "Scarface" Angry
    Like "I can't believe we just posted the names and addresses of a bunch of gun owners and now they know where we live" angry?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Ksg in my opinion is a conversation peice no more no less. 870 or 500 will do job better. Would be cool to shoot.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I think it is a cool concept, I have a soft spot for bullpup designs. But a 3K shotgun that is really only good for HD is too rich for my blood.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

overpriced you could buy better stuff for the $$
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Links