Help me select my first "real" rifle

This is a discussion on Help me select my first "real" rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rather than addressing everyone individually, thanks to all of you! You've given me some food for thought. I'm still considering the SKS, but the one ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help me select my first "real" rifle

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Rather than addressing everyone individually, thanks to all of you! You've given me some food for thought. I'm still considering the SKS, but the one I found locally lacks the original 10-round box mag and only has an aftermarket 30-rounder, which makes me a bit nervous.

But I still may shop for another SKS.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Rather than addressing everyone individually, thanks to all of you! You've given me some food for thought. I'm still considering the SKS, but the one I found locally lacks the original 10-round box mag and only has an aftermarket 30-rounder, which makes me a bit nervous.

But I still may shop for another SKS.
    If the price is right, grab it; the OEM box mags are easily found and some who prefer the AK mag conversion would probably love to trade parts with you, maybe even with cash thrown in. I'm a big fan of the basic SKS mag as issued, and with a little practice, loading via stripper clips is pretty quick.
    BigJon10125 and aus71383 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've only shot one AR and one AK, they were both iron sighted and they both shot about 2 moa at 100 yards.

I'll post another vote for the 30-30. ;)

In your situation I would get an SKS. You have some experience with it, it is easy to shoot, the ammo is (relatively) inexpensive and it is tough. I liked mine, a lot. I also like my lever action .30-30 and as kerberos said it is less "scary", I guess because it has wood and isn't black. That wasn't my reason for buying one, but it is just a bonus. Can't wait to see what you decide on. Love the avatar btw!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Of all the rifles I own or have shot, the overall most "fun" rifle in recent memory is my brother's Winchester '94. That includes my Remington 770 in .308 and a selection of ARs in .556, and my 10/22. Makes me feel like The Rifleman. It's next on my purchase list.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I'm looking more and more favorable at a lever action rifle, preferably in 357mag but a 30-30 is cheaper and will do until I find it.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Well, I bought the SKS. After looking on GunBroker and seeing them go for $600.00 plus, I figured it was a good deal at $400.00. Plus, the more I looked at it the more I liked it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Good job, hope you can find some stock mag parts. I also have the 30 rounders but I don't care for them on the SKS. I like the original set up best. Russian SKS.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links