.410 for HD ?

.410 for HD ?

This is a discussion on .410 for HD ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may open a can of worms but here goes. I purchased a single shot 410 some time ago to scare the squirrels. With all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .410 for HD ?

.410 for HD ?

This may open a can of worms but here goes.

I purchased a single shot 410 some time ago to scare the squirrels. With all the recent
    interest in home defense shotguns I thought this small 410 stoked with one of those
    new PD shells or buck would fit the bill.

Our GSD would no doubt clear the house before my feet hit the ground but I'd back him
    up. That said I'd have most likely the LCR .38 Sp with me as well as the 410.

Thoughts ???

I've inherited my dad's old Rem Sportsman 20 ga semi-auto that would give me three
    tries as opposed to one but it's long compared to that 410. Honestly I think one would
    be enough.

J

yes the 410 shot gun with todays 410 loads that is made for the new 410 pistols will make a good home defense gun. smae and easy for everyone in the home to use.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I would think it would be a great HD weapon. Most BG's will not know the difference of the calibers or guage they were hit with God Bless

VIP Member
    Can use .410 in some revolvers like the S&W Governor. Does not have much range but should work good in close quarters. .410 is available at most LGS and is reasonable priced.

My thoughts too, guess I better go retrieve it from the g.sons closet.
    He grown now and has a 12 ga HD shortie. Wonder if Academy has any
    of those 410 PD shells ?

Last time I was at the range another shooter had fell on hard times and
    was trying to sell a Mossberg 12ga Maverick with the short barrel and
    both stocks, like new. If I knew then ( old story ) what I know now I
    should have bought it.

J

Defense against snakes or squirrels? Sure. Defense against actual threats? Maybe, but why take chances?

great for home defense. 000 buckshot federal.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

I would rather have it than nothing, but it would be pretty far down on my wish list. Before .25 ACP...
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I'd rather have the 20 gauge with 3 shots. A shorter barrel is probably available. A single shot .410 would be very near the bottom of a 100+ gun list I could write...

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    If you asked all of these same people about a single shot 12 gauge, they would say it is fine. Honestly, the .410 will get the job done just fine, assuming you hit the target. Capacity is probably the biggest issue.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    No, a .410 sucks for two legged threats. If one buys a shotgun, then why not go with a 12 gauge or even a 16 gauge.....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Well, since it is what you have, it will work better than a pointy stick.

I would skip the PD loads, and just get some buckshot rounds. I think with 00 you are only going to get a few pellets.

And then work on your transitions.

I have said before on here that I used to keep a Stoeger coach gun (in 12 gauge) as a HD long gun. But, the plan was simple, dump both barrels at the biggest threats, and then transition to a sidearm for any remaining threats. That is going to be quicker than trying to use fine motor skills in the dark to load a break action shotgun again.

Would a single shot .410 be my first choice? No, certainly not. However, as something to start an engagement off with against the biggest threat, and then transition to pistol, it should work just fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    No, a .410 sucks for two legged threats. If one buys a shotgun, then why not go with a 12 gauge or even a 16 gauge.....
    first, I disagree that the .410 sucks for 2 legged threats, if aimed properly it will stop the threat just as well as any other firearm,
    next....the person that started this thread didn't say he was buying the .410 now or just did....its already owned and he is inquiring about using it for SD

Jaybm...If you want to use the .410, I recommend the Winchester http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx
    or get some 000 buck shot by Federal or Winchester Super-X 000

as others have said, it will do the trick when its the only thing you have, just know you have one shot and if the meth-crazed turd is still coming at you after taking a shot to the chest (which they can do) or if your shot isn't accurate enough, then you better have something else waiting....transition to another weapon, etc
    aim for the triangle formed by nipples to adams apple

I got my mom setup to use a .410 for home defense. She got the Saiga since she wanted a shotgun, didn't want to deal with 12ga recoil, has arthritis, and it being semi-auto works great for her. Its loaded with the Winchester PDX. The longest distance in her house would be around 15 yards so she'll have 8 rounds in a tight hallway to defend (have instructed her to call 911 and leave the phone on the bed if need be, Saiga under the bed ready to go). She also has an XD 9sc loaded with 16 round mag ready to go after the Saiga if need be.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Doubt anyone would choose or buy a single shot .410 for defense, but it you got it, and it's all you go, you use it till you find something better.

I have an old Stevens .410/.22LR that I leave out for the GF, as it's what she's most comfortable loading and shooting. I wouldn't want to be standing behind that hollow core interior door when that thing went off. I'd say it would be pretty effective on all but the most determined aggressor.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

.410 for HD?
    Why not? If you can afford the ammo and train for HD good choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links