Suggest One Please

This is a discussion on Suggest One Please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Given all the hubbub-hubris lately, over all the menacing threats of any new WB Laws being enacted into law. Would you suggest getting a pump ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Suggest One Please

Suggest One Please

Given all the hubbub-hubris lately, over all the menacing threats of any new WB Laws being enacted into law.

Would you suggest getting a pump or semi-auto 12g shotgun?

2. Remove Ads

None to be safe. All guns are being banned with the way politicians are talking now. Find a heavy rock, and practice being able to throw it really really hard. :)

Everyone who owns guns should have a social shotgun, regardless of the political climate. Budget plays a role in this decision. (*All following comments are, of course, IMHO.) I prefer pump shotguns for their ammo versatility & robust nature. There are only two variants of defensive pump shotguns; the Mossberg 590A1 & the Remington 870 Police Magnum. I lean toward the 870 for purely subjective reasons.

Please remember, you've got better odds facing a world-class shotgun in the hands of a moderately-skilled shooter...than the other way around.
    SIXTO likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    My statement would echo the above
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As long as it's reliable, either. I've got a Win 1200 (pump) and a Rem 1100 (evil Semi-auto) and neither has ever failed to function properly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...a Rem 1100 (evil Semi-auto)...has ever failed to function properly.
    OldVet, haven't you ever used your 1100 as a boat paddle, crowbar or tent stake?!? Geez, what kinda' guy ARE you?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    OldVet, haven't you ever used your 1100 as a boat paddle, crowbar or tent stake?!? Geez, what kinda' guy ARE you?
    I thought that was what 870s were for! Not those fancy things with gas.

Most will tell you a pump 12 gauge is the way to go. I'm also fond of the Remington 870, as it's easy to use, easy to change barrels if you want to use it for hunting when not defending your castle. I have a couple, and I also have a NEA Pardner 12 gauge pump (870 clone) that I leave out in the house for self defense purposes. Store it with the magazine loaded, and the chamber empty. Nothing says "stay the hell out of my house" better than the racking of a 12 gauge shotgun.

Because I really like shotguns, I also have a couple of semi-automatic versions, made by Benelli, and IMHO, you can't find a better shotgun on the planet. I know that will draw heat, but again, it's my opinion. LOL

One is the Benelli M3 Super 90, which is both, a pump and a semi-automatic shotgun. This is a tactical shotgun, designed to handle low power ammo, like tear gas, rubber bullets etc, as well as full power rounds. It's a lot of fun, very capable gun, but it sure isn't cheap. The other Benelli is a hunting shotgun, with the long barrel. Great for doves, quail, ducks, etc...

Good luck with your journey into the shotgun world.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I love my Mossberg Mariner 590 and have had zero issues with it. A simple, deadly tool.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I love the 870's and have that as my house protection weapon. I think the pumps are easier to clear and get back into action, in case of a malfunction, than to do the same with an auto loader.

The 870 and 590 pumps have a huge aftermarket of goodies if you like bling. They are tried and true platforms.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I would say a pump. Depending what you want, hunting or tactical, and how much you want to spend. For tactical you can spend from $199.99 AIT (china) to $245.99 (new stevens/savage) to somewhere between $500.00-$600 (Benellie) to $1000.00. Oops forgot the 870 versions and 500 versions don't want to forget them either. There are just a lot of choices out there. Good luck in your search

Senior Moderator
    I'm going against the flow on this one. If you aren't well versed in the art of shotguns, then I would suggest a semi auto.

Most people arent that fluid with a pump and in a stress situation, short stroking is not uncommon. When you have a gazillion things going through your brain at the speed of light when you realize that you may actually have to KILL someone, the last thing you want to do is short stroke your pump and not be able to fire another shot if you need it.

With the semi-auto, it isn't an issue and firing 2,3 or 5 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger isnt a porblem.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links