I think I changed my mind.

This is a discussion on I think I changed my mind. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've noticed that everything old is new again. For example, take the .50 Beuowolf, which is fired from AR style rifles. Basically a big hole, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I changed my mind.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I've noticed that everything old is new again.

For example, take the .50 Beuowolf, which is fired from AR style rifles. Basically a big hole, but from a modern rifle. How is this different from a big hole from a Marlin lever gun?

Is there really a difference between a .50 AE, fired from a modern IMI Desert Eagle, and a re-built Linebaugh Ruger Bisley, that while utilizing technology from 1907, chucks a 300 grain lino bullet?

My take is that there is no difference at all. Ballistics are ballistics, dead is dead.

But lets take my detractors, put them on an African veldt, replete with cape buffalo, and give them the choice of my Marlin, or the best .223 rifle.

The choice of the rifle makes little difference between men; that conflict is always solved by backbone and resolution, not steel. Survival on the other hand, likes big flying lino bricks.

2. Remove Ads

Red face

Well now ya'll've done it (ya'll've is a legitimate word)...got me thinkin about putting a 45-70 on my wish list....I've eyeballed a few over the years and thought it might be cool to have one....thinkin older rifles here, nothing new.

In the back of my mind I've always had this desire to reside in Alaska for a year. I'd live in a nice cabin near the woods and just take in the scenery.

I'd fish when they were biting and spend a lot of time with my cameras shooting pics of Bald Eagles and whatever big game chose to present itself for photography.

The two guns that I imagined taking were a Glock 20 in 10MM and a Marlin 45-70 guide gun.

Hey, it's a nice dream...isn't it? :RockOn mi

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    The leveraction rifle is probably the most versatile rifle platform out there. Capacity and rate of fire are enough for the situations a citizen is likely to face (not a battlefield situation). The .45-70 is a good round and can do many, many things. You can even adapt combat shotgun loading techniques to a leveraction rifle and keep up a very sustained rate of fire.

JT
    I missed a troll? Dang it. I have been very busy the last couple of weeks, including traveling. Looks like I missed a troll being banned.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lead Moderator

not a troll

I still prefer my AR. Lighter ammo so I can carry more, and if I need to hunt , it will still do the job with proper shot placement. Ammo should be readily avalible and since it is NATO spec. I could use military ammo. (NG base near me) sure a 45-70 will work too. Its all what ya prefer.

Question New v. Old

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    For example, take the .50 Beuowolf, which is fired from AR style rifles. Basically a big hole, but from a modern rifle. How is this different from a big hole from a Marlin lever gun?

Is there really a difference between a .50 AE, fired from a modern IMI Desert Eagle, and a re-built Linebaugh Ruger Bisley, that while utilizing technology from 1907, chucks a 300 grain lino bullet?

My take is that there is no difference at all. Ballistics are ballistics, dead is dead.
    In both your examples, I think it all comes down to time between fired shots. Yup, dead is dead and if you're dead on (so to speak) then you only need one shot. But if you're not...then a really fast second shot might be critical. OTOH, there is something to be said for OLD FASHIONED reliability. Are the gee whiz Hi-Tech rifles or handguns any more reliable in order to secure the HAMMER? Double tap is Hollywood BS. Or will a Controlled Pair do the job just as well? Or does it come down to simply $$$?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool State Bird of Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney
    In the back of my mind I've always had this desire to reside in Alaska for a year. I'd live in a nice cabin near the woods and just take in the scenery.

I'd fish when they were biting and spend a lot of time with my cameras shooting pics of Bald Eagles and whatever big game chose to present itself for photography.

The two guns that I imagined taking were a Glock 20 in 10MM and a Marlin 45-70 guide gun.

Hey, it's a nice dream...isn't it? :RockOn mi
    I gave that dream up after seeing my buddies in the Ranger Battalion return to Fort Lewis from arctic training in Alaska covered in welts and huge bites from the Alaskan State bird aka the MOSQUITO. Legend has it that one landed at the airport in Anchorage and the ground crew put 500 gallons of jet fuel inside before they realized it wasn't a 747.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Check THIS website out for a neat twist on the Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I missed a troll? Dang it. I have been very busy the last couple of weeks, including traveling. Looks like I missed a troll being banned.
    Unfortunately JT, he'll be back. I have been sonsidering raffling off chances to be the one to pull the handle on him next time.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I thought about picking up a Marlin 45-70.like everything about big bore lever rifles. My dad then gave me his m-71 Winchester in .348. Still have'nt given up on the Marlin though, I will have to wait a bit before I can justify having another big bore lever gun. I guess I will wait until the missus goes shoe crazy again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links