I just couldn't stop myself.

This is a discussion on I just couldn't stop myself. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a new gun. I've been wanting one of these for years and they are pretty darn hard to find. I think it's pretty ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: I just couldn't stop myself.

VIP Member

I bought a new gun. I've been wanting one of these for years and they are pretty darn hard to find. I think it's pretty cool.

LEFTHAND 762x39 bolt mini mauser M85 zastava new : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

What do you guys think?
    rigel42, darbo and Rock and Glock like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Not familiar with that one, looks like a nice rifle. Going deer hunting again?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    This will be one to help my son learn to shoot. It will be plenty for deer without roughing the kid up too much.

These Mini Mausers are hard to find in right handed configurations sometimes, in left handed they are quite rare. I have been looking for a left handed one in 7.62X39 for about 7 years.

They had been imported in the early 2000s by Charles Daley and then by Remington as the 799 in the late 2000s. Remington never imported any left handed models though. If they had I would have bought one then. I saw this one and, even though it's a bit overpriced, I figured I'd jump on it.

Unlike a true Mauser claw the minis have a Sako style extractor. They're really pretty neat. Plus I have a ton of 7.62X39 ammo in the basement and nothing to shoot it with since I got rid of my AK a few years back.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Good looking rifle and the first bolt gun I have seen chambered in 7.62X39.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I like it! I have been eyeballing the CZ version for years now. Lots of useful and fun purpose out of those.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I like it! I have been eyeballing the CZ version for years now. Lots of useful and fun purpose out of those.
    Me too but just like everything else, CZ doesn't make them in a left handed gun. CZ makes very few left handed products. It's a shame too because I really like their stuff.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Good looking rifle and the first bolt gun I have seen chambered in 7.62X39.

^^^^I agree!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like it!

The 7.62x39 is a great round for deer sized game.

Did they change Oh rule so you can hunt deer with a rifle now? or do you go to another state?
    PA is close so maybe you hunt there.
    Your son is gonna love daddy even more now.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Nice lookin gun. Will be lookin for a range report soon. Enjoy your new rifle.

Well Timmy, I think it is wrong handed.

I am intrigued a bit by it though. Aside from having a surplus of x39, is there any reason you were focused on that caliber?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^I agree!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like it!

The 7.62x39 is a great round for deer sized game.

Did they change Oh rule so you can hunt deer with a rifle now? or do you go to another state?
    PA is close so maybe you hunt there.
    Your son is gonna love daddy even more now.
    Correct. My father, my brother and I own a deer hunting camp in PA and it's a family tradition to go there for the first day of gun season.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well Timmy, I think it is wrong handed.

I am intrigued a bit by it though. Aside from having a surplus of x39, is there any reason you were focused on that caliber?
    I wanted a compact, hard hitting rifle with mild recoil.

The thing that really got me going on this was an old Savage bolt action 30-30 I fixed for a guy about 8 years ago. Because it was a bolt gun he could hand load spitzer bullets in his 30-30 and get a little extra performance out of it. What I didn't like about it was the goofy magazine required to handle a rimmed cartridge. Overall I thought it was a cool little deer rifle.

A few months later I saw that Charles Daley was importing Mini Mauser actions in 7.62X39. The X39 was basically the same gun but without the goofy magazine issue. I started looking for one then and it took me this long to find a left handed one.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I wanted a compact, hard hitting rifle with mild recoil. The X39 is almost a ballistic twin of the 30-30 and, since there is no rim, it works well in a bolt gun. Mostly though it's just a good deer round that I have a boat load of ammo for.
    Well, you could also use it for coyotes, and feral hogs, and groundhogs, and some other stuff in Ohio.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Congrats on the new addition! Very nice looking rifle. ;-)

Does it have leaf sights on it? Thats what it looks like in the pictures. And are you planning on putting glass on it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What model are you referring to? I'd like to check it out.

I've had a CZ 452/455 on my short list for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to getting one! I have also been interested in CZ centerfire rifles and the thought of a 7.62 x 39 one is interesting.

Thanks!
    Clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Does it have leaf sights on it? Thats what it looks like in the pictures. And are you planning on putting glass on it?
    Yes I'm pretty sure it does. I will probably put a fixed 4 or a 2-7 X 32 on it, something small so it looks right.

Did you get my update to my previous post? You got in too fast and I was still typing.

I just Googled the other rifle. It was called a Savage 340. It was small and light and had lots of potential but it just had too many flaws. Then I saw the Mini Mausers and all of the 340s flaws were fixed. I wanted one ever since. I'll let you shoot it if I can test drive your SPX. : )

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    What model are you referring to? I'd like to check it out.

I've had a CZ 452/455 on my short list for quite some time but just haven't gotten around to getting one! I have also been interested in CZ centerfire rifles and the thought of a 7.62 x 39 one is interesting.

Thanks!
    Clay
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/

Links