Hunting rifles

Hunting rifles

This is a discussion on Hunting rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious how many people rely on rifles typically classified as hunting rifles. I have several pistols and shotguns but when it comes right down ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Hunting rifles

Hunting rifles

I'm curious how many people rely on rifles typically classified as hunting rifles. I have several pistols and shotguns but when it comes right down to it, I'm a rifle guy.

Rely on them for what? Hunting? SD/HD?
    Not sure of what you are asking.

Always use the proper 'tools' for the job at hand.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry for the confusion................Home defense....zombies or any other scenario where the shtf

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The area I would need to defend really doesn't warrant a rifle, so for the heavy work my 1200 and 1100 would get the first call. But my Rem 700 is always ready to answer the call if asked.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like my Marlin 1894C .357 mag LeverAction. 9+1 capacity with very little recoil. I have 4000 rounds of Hornady Leverevolution to back it up. 140 grain out of the barel at 1800 FPS, 1200 FPS at 100 yards. Great sidekick for my S&W 686+.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I like my Marlin 1894C .357 mag LeverAction. 9+1 capacity with very little recoil. I have 4000 rounds of Hornady Leverevolution to back it up. 140 grain out of the barel at 1800 FPS, 1200 FPS at 100 yards. Get side kick for my S&W 686+.
    No wonder I can't find any! Yeah, lever actions are always good.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

So far my only "hunting rifle" is my FAL that I happen to have a 5 round mag for. Haven't hunted with it though.

Austin

Given the choice, I'd take a rifle over a handgun everytime if I knew I was going to need it.

That being said, I've hunted coyotes with my AR, so that is a hunting rifle, right?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My hunting rifle is a Winchester 1894 manufactured in 1964 according to my research on the serial number. Originally belonged to my great grandfather. I don't keep a lot of ammunition around for it other than 2 or 3 boxes, but I'll probably start stocking up now that it's near impossible to find .223 for a reasonable price. It's 100% reliable in terms of shooting, but I need to strip it down and give it a thorough cleaning, I don't think it's been broken down in a long time so the action is a little stiff.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Most of my rifles have a hunting use. For long distance 100 to 500 yards I have several rifles in 30 06. Medium range 0 to 200 yds I have lever guns in 45 colt, and 3030. Bolt guns in 7mm, 7.62x39,and 223. If I were using them around the house tho The short range guns would be best, 22 hornet, 17 HMR, 17Mach2, 22 magnum and 22 LR. I'm also working on a 17 hornet. These would be best as the view around our house only extends 100 yds. Everything beyond that is over the hill or through a stand of trees. DR

Sponsored Links