Defensive Carry banner

Hunting rifles

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  dangerranger 
#1 ·
I'm curious how many people rely on rifles typically classified as hunting rifles. I have several pistols and shotguns but when it comes right down to it, I'm a rifle guy.

#2 ·
Rely on them for what? Hunting? SD/HD?
Not sure of what you are asking.

Always use the proper 'tools' for the job at hand.:yup:

Reactions: atctimmy
#4 ·
The area I would need to defend really doesn't warrant a rifle, so for the heavy work my 1200 and 1100 would get the first call. But my Rem 700 is always ready to answer the call if asked.

#6 ·
I like my Marlin 1894C .357 mag LeverAction. 9+1 capacity with very little recoil. I have 4000 rounds of Hornady Leverevolution to back it up. 140 grain out of the barel at 1800 FPS, 1200 FPS at 100 yards. Get side kick for my S&W 686+.
No wonder I can't find any! Yeah, lever actions are always good.

#8 ·
Given the choice, I'd take a rifle over a handgun everytime if I knew I was going to need it.

That being said, I've hunted coyotes with my AR, so that is a hunting rifle, right?

#9 ·
My hunting rifle is a Winchester 1894 manufactured in 1964 according to my research on the serial number. Originally belonged to my great grandfather. I don't keep a lot of ammunition around for it other than 2 or 3 boxes, but I'll probably start stocking up now that it's near impossible to find .223 for a reasonable price. It's 100% reliable in terms of shooting, but I need to strip it down and give it a thorough cleaning, I don't think it's been broken down in a long time so the action is a little stiff.

#10 ·
Most of my rifles have a hunting use. For long distance 100 to 500 yards I have several rifles in 30 06. Medium range 0 to 200 yds I have lever guns in 45 colt, and 3030. Bolt guns in 7mm, 7.62x39,and 223. If I were using them around the house tho The short range guns would be best, 22 hornet, 17 HMR, 17Mach2, 22 magnum and 22 LR. I'm also working on a 17 hornet. These would be best as the view around our house only extends 100 yds. Everything beyond that is over the hill or through a stand of trees. DR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.