Lever Action 357 Magnum Ammo Bullet Set Back

This is a discussion on Lever Action 357 Magnum Ammo Bullet Set Back within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a rossi 92 357/38 24" Octagon barrel that I use in conjunction with a mossberg 12 gauge and a 40 sig sauer pistol. ...

Thread: Lever Action 357 Magnum Ammo Bullet Set Back

Lever Action 357 Magnum Ammo Bullet Set Back

I have a rossi 92 357/38 24" Octagon barrel that I use in conjunction with a mossberg 12 gauge and a 40 sig sauer pistol. I left it loaded through the holiday season with Winchester PDX1 125 grain ammunition. Upon cycling the action just to check its status as I usually do most of the bullets were considerably set back in the casing. Can anyone offer me any advice on why this is happening? In addition is there a better ammunition to leave loaded in the tubular magazine that is crimped from the factory to prevent his from happening. I also use the Hornady leverevolution ammo but it is specifically stated not to leave this ammunition in the chamber. I am currently leaving the rifle loaded with Blazer 158 grain JHP ammunition to see if the same set back issue occurs again. Thanks for any help and a pleasure to be joining the forum.

2. Remove Ads

Are the rounds showing set back before you cycle the action, or you emptying the tube without cycling the firearm? If it only shows up on rounds that have been cycled, it is possible that the chamber on your rifle may have been cut too short.

Roll crimp rounds do not usually have the problem you describe. Do you have a bullet puller? How much are the rounds setting back? I roll crimp my rifle rounds fairly severely, and I do not have any problems. Of course my rounds are either RN lead, or Lead SWC, in .45 LC.

As I recall, I have read somewhere about some jacketed rounds that experience some bullet setback. Good luck with your issue.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

My thought is they don't crimp pistol ammo tight enough to be used in a lever rifles magazine. >38 and .357 ammo is normally designed to be used in a revolver. I might suggest loading one less round in the tube. Or getting a lighter spring.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Many rossi 92 owners trim quite a bit of length from the magazine spring. Steve Young (stevesgunz.com) a gunsmith specializing in rossi covers cutting the magazine spring in his rossi 92 home gunsmithing DVD. You can actually get that DVD packaged with a reduced power ejector spring and a metal mag follower that won't swell and jam like the plastic one rossi installs.

The setback occurs with no action cycled. Just with the ammunition sitting in the tubular magazine for weeks on end. When I go to cycle the action to unload the rifle I will notice that most of the bullets are setback. One in particular was setback so far that the bullet was almost even with the top of the casing. Hope this helps. Thanks for the help. I might need to do the spring trimming and get the metal magazine follower.

Must be the ammo. I have been using 357 Magnum for over 30 years and leverguns for 25, and never seen any setback.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Links