Found a Mossberg! - Page 2

Found a Mossberg!

This is a discussion on Found a Mossberg! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice Mossberg I was looking at same one but decided to go with 590A1 Blackwater with ghost ring sights and speedfeed stock. I paid $510 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Found a Mossberg!

Nice Mossberg I was looking at same one but decided to go with 590A1 Blackwater with ghost ring sights and speedfeed stock. I paid $510 tax included at gun show and couldn't be happier. I have the tri rail and put a Nebo Protec light I gave $32 for delivered; it does a great job out to 30-40 yards outside in dark. I can hold 8 in tube one in chamber and 4 in stock very happy with the setup; and have Glock 19 for backup if needed.

I also have the m590a1 with ghost ring sights, 8+1 and 4 in the stock. It's quite accurate out to 100 yds with 2 3/4" slugs and is an absolute adrenaline rush to shoot.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Nice ! congratulations. I have been looking at shotguns lately but I am having a tuff time deciding.
    ODCaloney likes this.

To the members who have the 590A1's with 8+1, what do you think of the 20" heavy barrel for home defense vs. an 18" barrel?
    Does is seem a little too long and forward heavy?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    That is a really great shotgun, and a real good value. The thing is rugged as an anvil and reliable as gravity. If I could take the recoil of a 12-GA, I'd have it's twin.

I'm to old for a 12 GA, and I'm not going outside after anybody, so mine only has to be good in the house. I have the straight stock 20-GA Persuader with a side saddle shell carrier for 4 extra rounds. It's loaded with Federal 3" magnum #2 Buck. Makes a beautiful even pattern that about covers the -1 zone on an IDPA target from side to side at 21 feet. Put the bead on the invaders face at the bottom of the stairs, pull the trigger and he'll lose interest in continuing the attack real quick. I'm not going down there after him. I'll wait at the top of the stairs while 911 is called. If they want to come up the stairs while I'm sending buck shot down the stairs I wish 'em luck. Gives a whole new meaning to swimming upstream.

It's kept with the safety off, magazine loaded, chamber empty, hammer down. Pickup, rack, aim, is all it takes to have it in action. The wife has no problem doing it. She practices with target loads.

I have the Glock 17 for backup.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    To the members who have the 590A1's with 8+1, what do you think of the 20" heavy barrel for home defense vs. an 18" barrel?
    Does is seem a little too long and forward heavy?
    I would say it is a bit long, honestly I would like something potentially shorter than 18" in an ideal world. I do not find it front heavy, although there is a heft to the front end. I like the feel as it somewhat guides itself when I have walked through my house. I do not think I have a hallway in my house, but for those with them it could be a bit cumbersome. Always like the idea of a coach gun for that setup. Stoeger with double exposed hammers, oh yeah!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    Good find, you'll like it
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    So I still wasn't happy with having to downgrade from the Mossberg to the Stevens. Today on the way home from the range, my wife and I stopped at Sports Authority to see if they have any 12 gauge shells. Well, I made a mistake and took a gander at the HD shotguns and what do I find?

Mossberg 500 "Thunder Ranch." The standoff looks to be more fluff the real life usefulness, unless I decide to breach a building for some reason . . . (or need to stab a zombie with it after I've emptied the tube). But nevertheless, I'm pretty happy. With FFL transfer fees and shipping, I'd never find a Mossberg 500 at a cheaper price.

Nice! I actually just got one for 100 bucks on Craigslist, I got the one with the 24? Inch barrel and wood stock, but for 100 bucks I can add all the tacticool gear I can handle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links