870p

870p

This is a discussion on 870p within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Am going on a gun run this week. Having a time deciding between a j frame and a good shotgun. I have handguns aplenty. Also ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By KBSR
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: 870p

870p

Am going on a gun run this week. Having a time deciding between a j frame and a good shotgun. I have handguns aplenty.

Also have several shotguns, but they are set up for hunting, family guns and such. They will stay as is.

Looking at an 870. There is an Express model with 6+1 capacity for around 375 or so. Or a police model that seems to have a few upgrades. This would be the 24407 model. Around 650 would be close.

I really should get something for around the house. Just not an AR/AK fan. Not my cup of tea (don't have a problem with them either, so turn the napalm off.) A shotgun is more my speed. Anybody have this model? Worth the 300 dollar increase in price?

VIP Member
    That 870 7 shot synthetic is an excellent HD weapon. I'm not sure you "need" anything else for it to serve that purpose well, other than an illumination device.
    Brad426 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    That 870 7 shot synthetic is an excellent HD weapon. I'm not sure you "need" anything else for it to serve that purpose well, other than an illumination device.
    What he said. If it was TEOTWAWKI and I could only have one gun it would be a pump-action 12 gauge. Or a Raven .25.
    TX expat likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

With the aftermarket accessories available, you can mount a light on anything. If I were you I'd buy the less expensive 870 and then "pimp" it out yourself. Hell, that's half the fun anyway isn't it? LOL A good light, with a pressure pad on the forearm, and a sidesaddle for extra rounds, and a good sling, and you're set. Even adding an extended magazine tube, and the rest of the stuff I mentioned, you won't come close to spending what they want for the upgraded gun.

Good hunting. :)
    Brad426 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Difference between Express and police,

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

VIP Member
    I've owned a number of 870's over the years; everything from an Express combo to a Wingmaster. There is no comparison between an 870 Express and an 870P. Put the 870P in your hands. You will see and feel the difference. Is it with the extra money? Only you can make that call.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I've owned a number of 870's over the years; everything from an Express combo to a Wingmaster. There is no comparison between an 870 Express and an 870P. Put the 870P in your hands. You will see and feel the difference. Is it with the extra money? Only you can make that call.
    This. The 870p is at the top of my list for a KISS shotgun for HD.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Anybody have this model? Worth the 300 dollar increase in price?
    I don't have the Model 24407, I do have the Model 24903, the price difference between the Police models and standard models are certainly worth it to me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Looking at an 870. There is an Express model ... Or a police model that seems to have a few upgrades.
    Here is some info on the distinction between the Express and Police models: prior discussion.

Here's a document from Remington Arms detailing the differences in the Police model: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Have an 870 Tactical (7+1)that I keep in my bedroom closet. Have switched out OEM stock for a Hogue 12" L.O.P. with matching forend. Thinking a 3 shot side-saddle, a SureFire light and possibly a red-dot eventually(NOT sure if this is practical for an HD shottie that stays in the house). You'll be served well with an 870 !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

A 870 Police Magnum is worth the difference between it & an 870 Express (if you're betting your life). BF Goodrich TAs are worth the difference between them and Cooper Tires (if you're driving fast & hard). Good scuba gear is worth the difference (if you're cave diving in muddy water). Anytime MY old fanny is personally on the line, it's ALWAYS...worth the difference.
    sammage likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Me, I would find an 870P or old Wingmaster before an Express.

Links