Why are M1As so expensive? - Page 2

Why are M1As so expensive?

This is a discussion on Why are M1As so expensive? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn That price does make you wonder, doesn't it? Buy one M1A...or two handguns, a pump shotgun, and a lever gun. Much ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Why are M1As so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That price does make you wonder, doesn't it?

Buy one M1A...or two handguns, a pump shotgun, and a lever gun.

Much as I love the M1A, it's a no-brainer for me (and my wallet).

Very true. Problem is, you can only shoot one at a time, and when it comes shootin time, I want that M1A in my hand over any other one for the job.

It will chop, mow, cut, and even slice and dice. It may have a little too much power for home defense, but it will never be underpowered.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I've been eyeballing them for awhile. Do they only come in .308 or is there a .30-06 model? Hell I should probably just look it up lol! It's still early and I've been sick the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Very true. Problem is, you can only shoot one at a time, and when it comes shootin time, I want that M1A in my hand over any other one for the job.

It will chop, mow, cut, and even slice and dice. It may have a little too much power for home defense, but it will never be underpowered.
    Well really if you're trained well in scoped shooting and you have a good bit of land, wouldn't it be the perfect defense weapon to keep people from coming in?

As others have said 1500 and up depending on how it is dressed up. There are only so many made supply and demand.
    If you want a very good reliable 700-800 meter shooter it will do the job. I bet most are in a gun vault seldom ever shoot.
    Your going to pay that for any good 308 that can do what it does well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It's still a major bargain for what you get when compared to the AR, price for price.

The standard model was 12-1300 before the madness started.
    They come in Standard, Loaded, Match, and Super Match grades and are priced accordingly.

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

Why is divorce so costly?

Cause its worth it?
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

M1A's only look expensive until you compare them with other .308 semi-autos that will perform in a similar manner. As soon as you do that, they start to look quite affordable.

The M1A/M14 has a big following up in Canada - they are still able to import container loads of Chinese manufactured M14 clones. The quality control and fit/finsh of those clones is just atrocious....but at around $400 each, a lot of folks in Canada are willing to view them as "Handyman Specials" - especially since they come with forged receivers. With a few tools, some know-how, and a few USGI or aftermarket parts installed, those "Handyman Specials" can end up being pretty great rifles and still stay well under the $1000 mark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links