Why are M1As so expensive?

This is a discussion on Why are M1As so expensive? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at my local sporting goods store to see what ammunition they have. No .22, no .223/5.56, very little pistol ammo (lots of .38 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Why are M1As so expensive?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Why are M1As so expensive?

I was at my local sporting goods store to see what ammunition they have. No .22, no .223/5.56, very little pistol ammo (lots of .38 spl) and a whole bunch of .308. That got me to thinking, maybe I should pick up a M1A.

I have done a little searching and they are going for about $2500 for a basic model. I called my favorite gun store, and although they did not have one, they did verify that that is the going price. Before all this madness, they were going for about $2000.

Does anyone know why they would be so expensive? (Pre-madness not inflated price gouging prices now.) Doesn't seem like a basic model would warrant that type of price tag.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Because, just like divorces, they're worth it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Because, just like divorces, they're worth it.
    lolz
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    For the same reason that 1911s are so pricey. They have a history and a cult following. People will buy them even though they are about 1/3 higher than they should be.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Can't say for sure, but there's a fair amount of parts that require intricate machining. Compare the trigger group of a Garand or M1A to that of an AR, and you may get a sense of the work involved. Plus the barrel and gas piston assembly have to withstand substantially higher forces (more than double, considering cartridge pressures and bore diameters) than that of an AR in 5.56, so that drives up costs as well.

I had my sights set on a SOCOM 16 a couple of years ago, and the best deal I could find was in the $1800 range at the time.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Saw a M1A stock model for $1500 at the Academy closest to my house. Has been on the shelf for over 3 months. Not an AR to be found on the shelf sine mid December.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

It's still a major bargain for what you get when compared to the AR, price for price.

The standard model was 12-1300 before the madness started.
    They come in Standard, Loaded, Match, and Super Match grades and are priced accordingly.
    OldVet likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That price does make you wonder, doesn't it?

Buy one M1A...or two handguns, a pump shotgun, and a lever gun.

Much as I love the M1A, it's a no-brainer for me (and my wallet).
    atctimmy likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

RKM
    Last time I was at a gun store I held a Springfield M1-A and the price was $1600 for a Scout Squad with a wood stock. That was about two months ago. I'd love to get one one day.

I wonder the same thing. I think they are about 30% overvalued.

Austin

If O-man's ATF hadn't stopped the M1A imports from Korea coming in, the prices would be lower. Given them stopping anyone from importing any and selling them, the supply is what it is.. and so is the price. Feinstien has it as one of the top guns on her ban list, which I'm sure is driving up the prices right now as well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I paid $1600 for a like-new SOCOM-16 two months ago. Worth every penny!
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

VIP Member
    They are simply great guns for the money spent. The M-14/M1A was the last of the wood and metal battle rifles fielded by the US.

The gun itself is a great shooter, well made and very accurate. Mounting optics can be a pain if you try and use the SA mounts but once you spend the money and buy a good mounting system they will do everything you want them to do.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

There are dozens of examples of M1A's that have recently sold for well under $2K on GunBroker (ie, recent sales, open auctions) and other auction/used sites, with many under $1500.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That price does make you wonder, doesn't it?

Buy one M1A...or two handguns, a pump shotgun, and a lever gun.

Much as I love the M1A, it's a no-brainer for me (and my wallet).
    +1 I looked at the socom model. But ended up coming home with an ar-15 and a m&p9c and ammo to feed both for a little while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links