Which AR should I buy?

This is a discussion on Which AR should I buy? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; M&P. and pick up and M&P hand gun to go with it!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which AR should I buy?

M&P. and pick up and M&P hand gun to go with it!

2. Remove Ads

Out of the three, I would recommend PSA. In the budget range of all three, I would go Daniel Defense or BCM as my top two picks.

Another thing to consider is what is included for the price and what you want to add/modify after the purchase. Some manufacturers like DD, BCM and PSA come nicely equipped with popular features, turnkey.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Bottom line...... If you truly want an AR15 and have the money then buy the one you like........

This issue of which firearm to purchase is similar to:

Pepsi or Coke

GM or Ford

Nikon or Canon

Etc. vs Etc.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Bottom line...... If you truly want an AR15 and have the money then buy the one you like........

This issue of which firearm to purchase is similar to:

Pepsi or Coke

GM or Ford

Nikon or Canon

Etc. vs Etc.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I can't believe you found an AR under $1500 to begin with.

Normally I would point you here, but given the current market, I would not fault anyone for grabbing a Mossberg if that is all they could find on the rack.

Get the PSA. If all this AWB hype turns into much ado about nothing, then in 6 months when prices get back to something resembling normalcy, you will be kicking yourself when Colt and S&W drop back to only $100 or $200 above what they were 3 months ago. Colt is the best of the three, but IMO not worth lining someones pocket for over $1k in profit.

Unfortunately the rifle is all you are likely to get. Mags are running 3x what they were if you can find them, and ammo has also near tripled, coupled with no reloading components to be found (the only product whose prices did not go through the ceiling, just out of stock).

ETA - Beware of Gunbroker and other auction sites for mags & ammo. A lot of people are selling off their defective/worn out/broken mags, and there is some Euro M855 that is running around that is a known problematic ammo for AR15s. Stuck cases, and case head separation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I wanted to bring this to peoples' attention since the supply of ammo has become all but scarce.

Currently there is alot of M855 ammo for sale. Be aware that not all M855 is the same. In fact the U.S designated M855 is the only true M855 round.

Currently there are several auctions with British Radway Green SS109/M855 as well as some stuff from the UAE. The British ammo is well known to cause cycling issues with the M4 and with the M16 (rifle).

The UAE ammo also caused issues and I think there were a few carbines that were blown up by the ammo. Below is an excerpt from the official ammo notice that was sent out.

SUBJ: NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AMMO INFO NOTICE 051-05. IN/CONJUNCTION WITH THE RELEASE OF UK (UNITED KINGDOM)/5.56MM, AMMUNITION FOR TRAINING USE ONLY THIS AIN SUPERSEDES AIN 041-05 (171935ZMAY05) THIS AIN APPLIES TO THE US MARINE CORPS ONLY. REQUEST FOLLOWING INFORMATION BE GIVEN THE WIDEST DISSEMINATION. THE ARMY HAS PURCHASED UNITED KINGDOM 5.56MM AMMUNITION PRODUCED BETWEEN 1997-2001 AND ARE THE UK'S NATO STANDARDIZED 5.56MM AMMUNTION. THIS AMMUNITION IS RELEASED FOR TRAINING USE ONLY IN THE M16A2 RIFLE, M4/M4A1 CARBINES AND M249 SQUAD AUTOMATIC WEAPON (SAW). UK AMMUNITION SHOULD NOT BE ISSUED TO UNITS FOR USE IN COMBAT SITUATIONS. THERE ARE THREE UK CONFIGURATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED AS INTERCHANGEABLE WITH THREE US CONFIGURATIONS.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Which AR should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by ttheel View Post
    I am new to the forum and new to ar's. I am looking to pick one up before it is to late. Which would you pick for these prices?
    PSA m4 premium - $1200
    Colt LE6920 - $2000
    S&W M&P 15 - $1750
    does $1200 from PSA get you a rifle plus an optic? I'm sure prices went up everywhere but that's pretty steep for just an M4 from them. they were previously being sold for less than $700 I believe. I paid $1100 for a PSA 16" premium mid-length gas system package that included an optic that usually sells for about $400 by itself.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...e-package.html
    the price will probably be higher after they get it in stock again but basically I paid $700 ($1100 minus the $400 Aimpiont) for this rifle before i magpulled it.

I ordered this rifle at 933am eastern time on December 14. That's during the shooting and 2 minutes before the 911 call so I paid normal price and waited a normal amount of time to get it. I have no idea how much rifles have gone up in price from the factory since Dec 14 but $1200 would be nearly double the price they normally charged.

I have yet to be convinced of the superiority of the Colt.

I would go with the Colt. I would probably hold off and wait for the price to drop. Sure they might not be available but they aren't available now, hince the high price.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    In the time it took for you to wait for our replies, all three have probably sold out.

I personally would buy the PSA and put the $800 difference towards a few mags and some ammo... if you can find either of those.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Manufacturers websites have been out of stock on rifles since mid Dec. I don't recall any of them jacking the prices up. It's the retailers that are doing it. PSA either shows a price, or OUT OF STOCK. BCM prices seem to still be in line with pre panic...Just out of stock.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

i like a colt. but at this time i would get the one that is left. the prices are not going to come down.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Daniel Defense is still taking orders and building rifles with no price increase. A far better rifle than any of those and less than all but the PSA.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

They are all still building them, demand has put them month's behind (in some cases, years). PSA has 3 brick and mortar stores where I am sure the priority of builds are going. Don't know what their prices are doing there, I do know the online deals were just that, online only, not valid for walk ins.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

VIP Member
    I would calm down and wait till the prices go back to more of a standard pricing. I agree the retailers are jacking the prices. All manufactures are running at capacity and soon the stores will have inventory again. The laws of supply and demand will force the retailers to adjust the pricing. It will be several months for the feds to make any decision on a possible ban. They have other problems that must come first.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I would calm down and wait till the prices go back to more of a standard pricing. I agree the retailers are jacking the prices. All manufactures are running at capacity and soon the stores will have inventory again. The laws of supply and demand will force the retailers to adjust the pricing. It will be several months for the feds to make any decision on a possible ban. They have other problems that must come first.
    Yeah, this is what I see happening...

Mr. Speaker, I move that we table this discussion on taxes for a moment since we are not thinking clearly, and talk about this short little bill on magazine restriction. We can reconvene on the tax issue after a vote and lunch and we have had time to cool off a little.
    Never mind that little 5 line add on that is completely unrelated to the subject of the bill being discussed in house.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

At those prices i wouldn't buy any. But if you are going to i would buy the colt i dont have one but from what i have read they are the best out of the box ar on the market.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links