Which AR should I buy?

This is a discussion on Which AR should I buy? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bottom line--buy whichever you want. Is there a current frenzy of panic buying--obvious answer is YES. Is the panic buying justified?? NOBODY KNOWS!!!!! that's the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which AR should I buy?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Bottom line--buy whichever you want.

Is there a current frenzy of panic buying--obvious answer is YES.

Is the panic buying justified?? NOBODY KNOWS!!!!! that's the long and short of it. Lots of opinions on both sides of the issue--but they are just that--opinions. Two of the top-tier makers (LaRue and Lewis Machine) are taking orders, but they are over a year and a half out from delivery.

Will all this blow over? Nobody Knows! Will the republicans bow to media pressure on an AWB? Nobody knows! Will the Prez take some Executive Action that (at least temporarily) bypasses Congress?? Nobody knows!!

Bottom line--if you wait--you may or may not be able to buy one. So, if you can find one--buy it NOW just in case.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I wouldnt spend an additional $800 just to get a Colt over a PSA. Palmetto State makes a perfectly fine weapon.
    I certainly wouldn't spend an additional $800 for a Colt over a PSA. I owned both before the boating accident that left both on the bottom of the lake. The PSA was a fine rifle as was the Colt.
    SCGunLover1

Getting an AR now is like trying to get a 'required' date at the last minute. You get what you can find.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I found this article to be very informative and helpful. It is titled, "so you want to buy an AR, huh?".
    After reading the article, I ordered one from CMMG, which was the authors pick based upon price and features.

Maybe my view is a bit different.

At these prices I personally believe that if you didn't already own an assault rifle, AR, AK etc then you probably should just not buy one, for now.

Wait and see how things shake out.

What can happen?

1) Everything goes back to normal and you can buy an LE next year for $950 again.

2) We are told to turn in our guns and most of us on this forum become felons, in which case you don't have to make that choice.

3) Everything goes to heck in which case there will be plenty of AR's laying around for free, that you can pry from the cold, dead hands of the former owner, or one of those who tried to take his guns.

But I wouldn't pay the prices people are asking for ARs.
    Crashoften and atctimmy like this.

There were plenty of Sigs at the Lexington gun show this past weekend, and of course high capacity mags, other AR, SKS, AK, etc. Sigs were in $1300 range. Apparently a lot of the items 'sold out' online are still available outside the retail stores.

Colt is great but the extra $800 is not worth it in my opinion, with that $800 you save you can buy some accessories for it, scope, rail, stock. All that good stuff. The PSA will get the job done, it is a good weapon. I bought a bushmaster ORC about a year and a half ago for $800. I don't know how much they are going for now though.

I don't know enough about the models but the Bushmaster was about $1250 a few weeks ago at my local store. They only had a few available and close to 100 pp in line. But their Internet site showed 0 stock so if you were not in the store you wouldn't have known.

That's par for the course. $1250 for a $600 rifle. Retailers are making a fortune that would make Solomon blush.
    atctimmy and scgunlover1 like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Colt

VIP Member
    I guess with each day passing if you have the cash and need one get the one thats on the shelf now.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The one that I ordered was about $950 in the basic model. You could add things like the MOE package (collapsible stock, improved heat shield, etc) for a couple hundred more. The one I ordered was (list price) $1200 and was told that will be the maximum and they might be able to get it discounted.

Wait it out. Those prices are bananas.
    atctimmy and zacii like this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Wait it out. Those prices are bananas.
    At these prices I would not buy an AR. There are other rifles/guns out there. I paid $599 for my S&W M&P flat top AR. Then I bought all of the mags and ammo I wanted, all of it for less than what the M&P will cost you today.

If I wanted a SHTF gun TODAY I would look into a lever action .357 carbine or an SKS.
    zacii likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Re: Which AR should I buy?

I'd buy the colt, but not at that price.

Wait until things settle down. If they don't settle down, well then we have bigger problems to deal with.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links