Sig 556r

Sig 556r

This is a discussion on Sig 556r within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw this rifle on Guns and Ammo TV last night. Looked awesome. Anybody here own one? Is it just a more expensive AK?...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: Sig 556r

Question Sig 556r

I saw this rifle on Guns and Ammo TV last night. Looked awesome.

Anybody here own one?

Is it just a more expensive AK?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Recent video review. Looks Good

SIG 556R Update - Magazines - YouTube
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

It LOOKED good...now we can just watch videos, thanks obama.

VIP Member
    Wow. If Gabe likes them more than an AK then he REALLY likes them.

I am interested in one of these as well. Too bad Timmy hasn't hit the lottery and this is just one more gun on the "I wish I had the money list".
    Last edited by atctimmy; January 8th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
    mano3 likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

From what I've read, the 2nd gen 556 rifles are great rifles. I was trying to decide between a 556(R) and a AR before the market went crazy last month. I couldn't find a 556 in time, but I was lucky enough to find 516 for just under MSRP. I haven't spent much time with the 516 yet, but given the option, I probably would have gotten the 556 instead.

Sig 556R (gen 2)

I picked up a 556R for ~$1100 OTD from Academy last December (good timing). It was made in October 2012, so has all the mods and upgrades implemented after all the 1st gen failures. I've now shot ~2-300 rounds of Tula and Monarch steel FMJ through it without a single problem. Nice 3-6" groups at 100yds using the included red dot and no sand bags. The red dot it comes with begs to be replaced, and it came without iron sights, so add that upgrade to your purchase cost if you're considering a 556R.

If you Google for reviews on this gun, they'll almost all be terrible. Only the ones made after 8/2012 are worth consideration. I have no regrets, especially since 7.62x39 is so affordable these days... :-)

I absolutely love my Sig 556R. And it's an unmodified, first generation one! Total round count until now is at 1,608. Yes, I record these in a spreadsheet.

If you like that you really like this First Look: SIG Sauer 556xi Rifle | Guns & Ammo

"SIG’s new rifle platform can also adapt to fit many shooting applications. Quickly convert between 5.56x45mm, 300 Blackout and 7.62x39mm by swapping out a few parts on the same serialized receiver.

Available in the first quarter of 2014, the SIG Sauer 556xi rifle comes to market at $1500 to $1,600."

That all said yes the 556r is a great gun .. Bascily a 556 that fires a heavier round same nice stock I belive... One of the local guys had one and wrote a good review ( ArizonaShooting.com ? View topic - Sig 556R in 7.62X39 ) it will not take drum mags though.. But it seems like a great gun and will more then likly be my next that or the new one if they come though on the convsion kits .

So I say if you can find one for oh around 1k or so and a gen 2 good buy or wait for the new modular gun ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    I have a 556R. It's a fine gun. I think it's superior to most off-the-shelf AKs and can probably hang with some custom builds. Most accurate 7.62 x 39 rifle I've shot to date.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

JD
    Administrator
    I've got the SWAT model, actually bought it fro. SUAREZ via One Source Tactical. It's currently sporting an ACOG. The SWAT model is a little front heavy. The gen 2 rifles are still a little mag senaitive. I have a batch of Circle 10 mags that needed to be ground down to work well. The new Magpul AK mags will work with the "R" but I'm waiting for the steel reinforced mags to be available. Over all I'm pretty happy with the rifle. The Krebs extended safety is almost a must. The stock SAW style grip is too fat for some. Hogue gas two grips available for it.

Shooting Wolf military classic from a rest (laid on the rifle bag) with the ACOG it was holding 1" groups at 100yards.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

JD
    Administrator
    For more thoughts and some pictures:

http://gunstuff-jd.blogspot.com/2013...3r-13.html?m=1

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Sponsored Links