Spikes ar's don't float - Page 2

Spikes ar's don't float

This is a discussion on Spikes ar's don't float within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ANGLICO I have a Scout Sniper Platoon Leader (SSGT) that would dive for it. He has experience since one of his team ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Spikes ar's don't float

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    I have a Scout Sniper Platoon Leader (SSGT) that would dive for it.

He has experience since one of his team did not C-clip the weapon onto the RIB when doing a training Op in shallow (though rough water) in the SF Bay. Weapon was recovered after much 'Brow Beating' happened. He and the team decided that cold water dive Ops were better than the paperwork and NJP (Article 13 for you Doggies) that would have happened, had it not been returned to the Armory.

There is a longer and interesting yarn associated with this particular training Op that I will share in person, but not on the internet. It involves many famous CA politicians........................ Not here though!

Oh,,,,,,,,your weapon,,,,,,I see,,,,,,,, Darn, its gone forever! LOL
    Bet that was not pretty.
    Last edited by jbum; January 9th, 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Good thing too, as the MBUS directly on the gas block might have had issues. ;)

That was, and probably will e a pretty gun for a while down there till it corrodes. I think we need to sell our boats and buy some guns, one causes the other too much trouble.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Administrator
    Hire a good attorney and sue the Hell out of that boat manufacturer for Loss Of Property and for building an inferior product that cannot handle a lake water wake.
    jbum likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Should have had one of these,

Redjacket did an episode on Sons of Guns that where they attached a inflatable personal floatation device inside a gun stock so if it went into the water it would sense the water, inflate and float up. as I recall it didn't work, but it's a cool idea.

I know they also make devices you put in on your tackle box that release a float on a string so you can retrieve the box if it gets dumped overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    Yep my M&P 15 TS (with 20 pmags), M&P 15-22(with 6 mags) and Glock 23 (with 6 mags) all went overboard last summer while boating. I hope my Sig/Sauer P225 and M&P Shield don't end up going overboard in the future....
    I shed a tear reading this. Personally, I'd hire a diver to go get it!

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Good thing too, as the MBUS directly on the gas block might have had issues. ;)
    Had a bunch of rounds through it before it sank with it mounted there not one prob. Is there something I should know about mounting a mbus on the gas block that I don't know about...that is just in case I can afford or find another AR.

VIP Member
    As an aside I have thought about going diving for guns in the past. There's a stretch of ocean that I KNOW has some fun toys resting on the bottom. I've often wondered how the legalities of finding machine guns would work.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Had a bunch of rounds through it before it sank with it mounted there not one prob. Is there something I should know about mounting a mbus on the gas block that I don't know about...that is just in case I can afford or find another AR.
    Plastic MBUS on a gas block can cause issues, per Magpul. Heat versus plastic and all that, depending on the firing schedule.

TOF
    How many Crappie did you shoot before it went swimming?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Did anyone see the "Sons of Guns" episode where the guy made the inflatable flotation collar for the AR?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links