Russian Saiga Rifle

This is a discussion on Russian Saiga Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know anything about the Saiga Rifles. Here is a link with some pictures of them. http://www.savvysurvivor.com/saiga_rifles.htm I have been looking at these rifles for ...

Thread: Russian Saiga Rifle

Russian Saiga Rifle

Anyone know anything about the Saiga Rifles.

Here is a link with some pictures of them.
    http://www.savvysurvivor.com/saiga_rifles.htm

I have been looking at these rifles for a little while but have yet to find anyone that has shot them. I understand that they are made in an old AK factory and are similar to an AK if my information is correct.

For around 250 bucks it seems like a heck of a deal for something to plink with.

As far as I can find they come in a 7.62x39, .308, or .223 caliber. I already have one 7.62x39, so I would lean more toward that caliber.

Have any of you all shot them, seen them or handled them to give me any opinions on the weapon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I had a Saiga.....AK w/military furniture........

and it worked real nice.
    Have a Bulgie now.....
    I am sure the 'sporterized' versions work ok and maybe cheaper and may look little more politically correct for the sheeple.
    I looked briefly at the .308 verson...that was awhile back and it was that price.......doubt if it is still as cheap.

I looked at some of the Saiga's today, and was unimpressed by them. The concept of the rifle is a good thing but the price that was being asked and the fit, finish and hollow synthetic stock made it feel like something I did not want in my gun safe. I was surprised at how much heavier the .308 was than the other versions, but that was the only thing mildly surprising of them.

A few guns down from the 4 or 5 saiga's was a norico ak 47 that looked like a much better put together weapon with a wood stock (i prefer wood to synthetic) that was only 50 bucks more.

Anyone got a norico (spelling) 7.62x39? Or have any comments on them.

They had a 5.45x39, but that one is definately out of the question.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Thread drift - my only Norinco is my SKS (AK is an SAR1 Romanian) - but it is of my three SKS's the one I favor and shoot most. If I could find and afford a Norinco AK I'd go for it.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I plan on getting a siaga 12 instead of a pump shotgun for CQC home defense.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

VIP Member
    I have a Saiga 12 shotgun from their first importation run which when EAA imported the guns. They are reliable guns as are most AK's. Nearly everyone I know that owns a Saiga whether a shotgun or rifle, loves the way they shoot, their reliability, and cheap cost. I think the Russians put them together pretty well.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    One of my shooting buddies ( a member here) has one of the Saiga rifles. It's a little rifle.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I have a Saiga .223. It's a Russian import made in by the same company that makes the original AK (Izhmash), built on an AK reciever. Most people convert them, which takes only a few parts and some tooling. I just stuck a russian military POSP scope and a bipod on it. It's fun to plink around with.

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/weapon.shtml

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=53631

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=66392

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

If they ever get the 20 round mags worked out, it seems to me that the 308 Saiga would be a heck of an idea for a battle rifle for someone who cannot afford an M1-A.

Certainly a longer range rifle that a 7.62x39 version...
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I have a saiga 7.62x39. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago before the AWB expired. I paid $199 for it. At that time AKs were not as plentifull and it seemed like a great little gun for the price. Like most ak varients its totaly reliable. It's a little more accurate than my yugoslavian AK but less accurate than my yugo sks. These days it seems like they're commanding more money making the AKs more attractive.

Saiga .308

I shot about 200 rounds of South African 147 grain ball ammo thru my brother's Saiga .308 last weekend. He has a bushnell 3x9 scope in the detachable mount on it. At 100 yards the groups were well under 2" when I did my part even with high winds. It shot about 8 inches lower than the cross hairs at that range, I assume because the mount is so high...

Links