What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ???

This is a discussion on What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just watched Nutnfancy's review of the mini 14 and he liked them a lot. He said he could get 2-3 moa from the new ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ???

I just watched Nutnfancy's review of the mini 14 and he liked them a lot. He said he could get 2-3 moa from the new ones. I don't know about prices these days, but if you could find one for 700 (they are listed at 900 msrp on ruger's wesite as of today) I would say they are a great deal. 2-3 moa is adequate in virtually any civilian defensive scenario.

For whatever reason, and I know many disagree with this philosophy, I would like to permanently keep a mini 14 in my trunk.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    Are you willing to say what the guy who got the ranch gun paid? At the beginning of December they were $667 at WalMart, and 700-800 at most LGS. Online they're now being offered at $1600 and up.

If that would make you uncomfortable to say, go in peace, my brother.

Yes the guy that purchased the wood stock Ranch model paid the same as I did at $949. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Yes the guy that purchased the wood stock Ranch model paid the same as I did at $949. God Bless
    In the current market, he did ok, and you got an outstanding deal. Congratulations.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

I have an older Mini-14 GB model. I have several Ruger mags, but also have some aftermarket polymer mags, both 20 and 30 round. The only problem I had was with one of the 20 mags, I had to take some sandpaper and work on it just a bit to get it to go in properly. All the others, no problems, and the one I had to work on now works great. Based on some of the other comments, maybe my rifle is the exception to the rule.

Never shot it much on paper, but I can blast paint cans all day long at 100 yards. It has always been 100% reliable.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    My how prices have changed, back in 1979 I paid $190.77 for mine.
    atctimmy likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have a GB 180 series and the newest 580 series of mini 14. They both are reasonably accurate out to 300 yards with open sights. Both of mine seem to do well with Russian steel cased ammunition, although I have heard of people breaking firing pins from the hard primers of steel cased ammo. I have noticed that the sights on the newer 580 series tend to shake loose with extensive shooting and need to be tightened with the hex wrench that comes with rifle. Although I have never owned a mini 30, I have read that their bore diameter is .308, and do not shoot well with Russian 7.62x39 which is .310 diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

Until the current spike, the prices were in line with gas prices then and now: 1979 price was about 27% of current price. Right now the Mini-14 price reflects a ratio of about 20%, based on VBVAGUY's purchase. The other big difference between then and now is that in 1979 you had to wait in line for gasoline. Now you have to wait in line for a Mini-14.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Hah! You got ripped off! Mine was $189.95 <G>. I guess I might've gotten mine a year earlier, so maybe it was just inflation!

Regards,
    Jim
    msgt/ret likes this.

Congrats....I think you find it quite fun to shoot. I have shot quite a bit of steel case ammo without a problem but probably not enough to uncover said problem. The only other thing (and the reason I like to shoot the cheap stuff) is my mini doesnt toss the brass out in a nice little pile like my AR does, it sorta sprays it all over the place LOL! Anyway good luck and enjoy your new toy!

Woo Hoo !!! Praise God in the highest !!! I was able to purchase the last Mini 14 they had in stock at my LGS, the right before me purchased the one with the wood stock. I purchased a Mini 14 Tactical with synthetic stock and flash hider. God Bless

I hated the factory rear sight on my mini. I replaced it with a tech sight.

MINI 14/RANCH® Rifle - adjustable aperture sights
    Lifetime NRA member

MSZ
    Woo Hoo !!! Praise God in the highest !!! I was able to purchase the last Mini 14 they had in stock at my LGS, the right before me purchased the one with the wood stock. I purchased a Mini 14 Tactical with synthetic stock and flash hider. God Bless
    After reading, researching and deciding it was a fit for my needs and capability, I decided to try to get one, but unavailable since BEFORE the elections. Now just waiting until things cool down or I'll need to rethink.

MSZ
    Until the current spike, the prices were in line with gas prices then and now: 1979 price was about 27% of current price. Right now the Mini-14 price reflects a ratio of about 20%, based on VBVAGUY's purchase. The other big difference between then and now is that in 1979 you had to wait in line for gasoline. Now you have to wait in line for a Mini-14.
    I can't even find a "line." Where is it?

Are you willing to say what the guy who got the ranch gun paid? At the beginning of December they were $667 at WalMart, and 700-800 at most LGS. Online they're now being offered at $1600 and up.

If that would make you uncomfortable to say, go in peace, my brother.
    The "Buy Now" price right now on gunbroker.com for a Mini 14 is about $1,000 to $2,000.
    Last edited by knowltk; February 5th, 2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Poor mans AR. Back in the day they sold for $200.

VIP Member
    I'd like to own a mini 30 tactical. I'm not willing to pay the money for one though. Too bad, I think it would be a fun gun.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links