What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ???

What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ???

This is a discussion on What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to purchase either the Ruger Mini 14 or the Mini 30. Can't decide on which one. However I would like to hear from people ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ???

Thumbs up What your thoughts on the Ruger Mini's ???

Looking to purchase either the Ruger Mini 14 or the Mini 30. Can't decide on which one. However I would like to hear from people on their thoughts on the Ruger Mini's. I know that they were not created to be tack drivers, but for plinking and defense. My understanding is that the newer models with the thicker barrels in some people's opinions are just about as accurate as some AR's or a tad less at around 100-200 meters. Thanks for any info and sharing your experiences and thoughts. God Bless

***At first I was leaning towards the Mini 30 as the 7.62x39 is a little more powerful than the 556 and ammo seems to be more plentiful currently. However with all this talk of bans, etc. and them banning import of ammo, etc. the 7.62x39 may be harder to obtain. So now I do not know what to get. LOL !!!
    Last edited by VBVAGUY; January 10th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

While not tackdrivers they are pretty decent rifles. I would get the mini 30 the round has a bit more power than the 5.56. and right now the 7.62X39 is more plentiful than 5.56. If I had to do over I would have got my ar chambered for the 7.62x39. Just my thoughts

VIP Member
    This same topic just came up, here's a link to the thread

How do you guys feel about the Ruger Mini 30 and Mini 14?

oops, sorry. That's an old thread! There's a recent one somewhere around here...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    decent rifles, well worth the money. My wife has one--in .223---for ammo compatibility with my AR.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I have an older Mini-14, 182 series, great rifle but I would recommend sticking with Ruger magazines other than that have never had a problem. I have used mine for high power competition a couple of times, worked well at 200 and 300 yards but groups did open up quite a bit at 500 yards. Oh being that we are in America it was really yards not meters.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have a mini 14 and it shoots very well. Ruger revamped the production methods several years ago (you can look that up) that changed the guns significantly. Mine far exceeded my expectations in accuracy and consistency. I have had mine for about 4 years, I added a Butler Creek folding stock and have no intention of letting it go. The only drawback is you must use Ruger magazines (I tried a nice aftermarket, just wouldnt work reliably) and they are relatively expensive and now hard to come by of course.

VIP Member
    Heck yes! That's how I feel. If it were me I'd go with the Mini 30. All of the cheap .223 ammo is Russian made too so don't worry about it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I'm a fan of the Ruger Mini carbines - poor man's M1A.
    ctr likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks everyone for your replies and sharing your experiences. I *plan* on purchasing a Mini 14 today after work. Hopefully it is still there God Bless
    Kilowatt3 and TX expat like this.

I own a mini-14, and LOVE it. I shoot the heck out of it, but I will forewarn you of one thing--Russian made ammo with steel cartridges have a tendency to stick in the chamber once fired. I've had to use a ramrod two or three times and quit buying cheap Russian ammo. I've had people tell me that they've had a gunsmith ream the chamber to avoid that problem, but I've never had a problem shooting brass cartridges, so I'll stick with that. Great gun, lots of fun to shoot. I've also had good luck with 20 and 30 round magazines at the range, never had a problem there, either. I've been told (and I would like to believe) that the gun is essentially military grade, though I don't know that to be true.

Got my first Mini-14 about 35 years ago. To this day, I think it's the greatest "fun gun" ever. Also a very viable HD/SHTF gun. As has been mentioned previously, don't waste your time w/aftermarket mags. Go factory Ruger all the way.

Personally, I favor the .223 over the .30, but that's just a personal preference. Seems like there's USUALLY a much better variety of quality ammo available for 5.56/.223. I don't much care to use steel-cased ammo, and that seems to often be all that I can find in 7.62x39. Who knows what the future holds? BTW, the .223 Mini-14 is designed & fully rated for 5.56 ammo, unlike a lot of .223's.

If you can find a Mini-14 today, my advice is to buy it, unless it's totally out of reach!

Regards,
    Jim

Administrator
    I know that they were not created to be tack drivers, but for plinking and defense.

All of the manufacturing tooling has been completely modernized, updated, etc etc by Ruger for the Minis. I think you might really like the Mini rifles that Ruger is putting out now. Of course they are more expensive than my early one but, all of that CNC equipment is not cheap so I think the price increase is pretty much justified.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Love mine. One thing not mentioned yet is that they'll run dirty more reliably than an AR. Re mags, I've been reading that the Gen II Tapco 20 and 30 rd polys are very reliable. Now if I could only find some to buy to test that out....
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Woo Hoo !!! Praise God in the highest !!! I was able to purchase the last Mini 14 they had in stock at my LGS, the right before me purchased the one with the wood stock. I purchased a Mini 14 Tactical with synthetic stock and flash hider. God Bless
    atctimmy, 10thmtn, Mudgen and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Woo Hoo !!! Praise God in the highest !!! I was able to purchase the last Mini 14 they had in stock at my LGS, the right before me purchased the one with the wood stock. I purchased a Mini 14 Tactical with synthetic stock and flash hider. God Bless
    Are you willing to say what the guy who got the ranch gun paid? At the beginning of December they were $667 at WalMart, and 700-800 at most LGS. Online they're now being offered at $1600 and up.

If that would make you uncomfortable to say, go in peace, my brother.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links