Knoxx SpecOps on Remington 870... Not Flush

This is a discussion on Knoxx SpecOps on Remington 870... Not Flush within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ordered a Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock for my Rem 870. When I installed it, however, it's not totally flush with the receiver. The instructions ...

Thread: Knoxx SpecOps on Remington 870... Not Flush

Knoxx SpecOps on Remington 870... Not Flush [SOLVED]

Ordered a Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock for my Rem 870. When I installed it, however, it's not totally flush with the receiver. The instructions say to make sure there's no 1/16 inch gap all around due to a washer from the Rem 870.. which isn't the case for mine. Also, my 870 Express didn't have any washer.

I emailed Knoxx one week ago and no response yet. Can someone with a SpecOps stock let me know if theirs has some space between the stock and receiver too? Is this okay?? I uploaded a couple photos showing the space. I haven't been able to visit the range yet to try it out.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by xeero; November 20th, 2006 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Issue resolved.

2. Remove Ads

Just a guess: does the rear of your trigger-group have any molding projections, or is it long enough that it is blocking the stock from pulling flush? Minute or so with some wet/dry paper or a Dremel might have you in business....... I had to do some fitting on a stock because of the trigger group, and the extra width of my Vang safety.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    xeero,

There is a Knoxx guy here now, P.M. him and ask, He posted in this same forum
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Done Deal

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    xeero,

There is a Knoxx guy here now, P.M. him and ask, He posted in this same forum
    It was xeero who lead me to your midst. He called and spoke with me to resolve his question. It appears that he had not tightened the stock sufficiently, or at least that is what I think is the problem. I expect a follow-up report shortly.
    CaCrusin

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies so far. Nothing sticking out or appearing to be interfering with the connection. Yes, I spoke to a rep at Knoxx today. When I got home I tightened the bolt as far as it'll go. It's a tiny bit closer, but there's still a slight gap near the trigger while being totally flush at the top. The gap at the trigger side is only about as thick as my thumbnail. (I was told to use this measure if I remember correctly.) So, I'm guessing that it's okay at this point. It looks like it's on pretty good too. I'll give Knoxx a call again to make sure it sounds okay. Hoping to take it to the range this weekend.

As to the washer.

There is a metal plate back behind the reciever when there was another stock on there in one that had a wood stock. Are you sure its not there on the express?

Some synthetic stocks don't fit right, just like your showing, with that metal filler plate back in there. It often does not fall right out when you remove another stock. It many be adheared to the back of that by years of grime etc. It is a light colored metal like silverish plate that fits around the Nut that the stock bolt screws into. It should come right off. Its not a round washer as you would expect. Its the same shape and configuration as the entire rear hole back there. It's a purpose built spacer.

My guess is that yours is still in there (I hope) and that stock meant for it to come off. I know when I was fitting a synthetic stock to a Wingmaster that previously had a wood stock, that spacer had to come off. Because I tried it with it back in and I got that exact same gap.

Take it back off and see if there is a spacer back there for certain but just not evident the first time. May be same color or something in the express. If so pry it lose an remove it and try that stock again. Bet that might be it. Hope so anyway.
    Last edited by cphilip; October 24th, 2006 at 01:29 PM.

Go shoot it!

Xeero, it looks good to me. Go shoot it and report back.
    CaCrusin

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Finally made it to the range yesteray to try out the new 870 and SpecOps! I can say that I'm very satisfied with the recoil reducing stock. Follow up shots were not a problem. However, I did experience some cheep slap which seemed to disappear towards the end of my session. I'm not sure if it's because my face was getting numb or I was shooting more rapidly (and ignoring the slap) after patterning my new shottie. I reread CaCrusin's reply on another thread about eliminating cheek slap and will try out his suggestions on my next trip. (I don't get out to the range often, however.)

I've shot 12ga shotguns only a few times before this. Each time I'd shoot 20-25 rounds (2 3/4" shells) and end up with a bruise (actually from tiny spots from internal bleeding.. sorta like what you get on your shoulders when you do the standing calf raise machine at the gym) on my shoulder where I mount the stock. With the SpecOps, I fired 40 rounds (5 of which were managed recoil loads) and there's just barely a sign of trauma on my shoulder. Just a few tiny spots that I only found because I was looking for any marks.

Overall, I give the SpecOps a big thumbs up.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My buddy who lives in serious Grizz country just got a Specops stock for testing on the 14" 870's the Fisheries guys carry, He will be trying it out with 3" magnums slugs. Using his report I intend to convince my wife i need one for my bear gun (Mossberg 590) He mentioned that he had to do some fiddling to get it to fit his 870, I will ask what he had to do.

Any chance getting a group buy on the knoxx stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    Finally made it to the range yesteray to try out the new 870 and SpecOps! I can say that I'm very satisfied with the recoil reducing stock. Follow up shots were not a problem. However, I did experience some cheep slap which seemed to disappear towards the end of my session. I'm not sure if it's because my face was getting numb or I was shooting more rapidly (and ignoring the slap) after patterning my new shottie. I reread CaCrusin's reply on another thread about eliminating cheek slap and will try out his suggestions on my next trip. (I don't get out to the range often, however.)

I've shot 12ga shotguns only a few times before this. Each time I'd shoot 20-25 rounds (2 3/4" shells) and end up with a bruise (actually from tiny spots from internal bleeding.. sorta like what you get on your shoulders when you do the standing calf raise machine at the gym) on my shoulder where I mount the stock. With the SpecOps, I fired 40 rounds (5 of which were managed recoil loads) and there's just barely a sign of trauma on my shoulder. Just a few tiny spots that I only found because I was looking for any marks.

Overall, I give the SpecOps a big thumbs up.
    I put a SpecOps on my Mossberg 590SP 12g, and I simply cannot believe how much softer the thing shoots. I could literally shoot this thing all day long without a problem.

I'm not getting any cheek slap though. I'm going to have to figure out what I'm doing right.

Links