100 round magazine

This is a discussion on 100 round magazine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have no interest in them because they aren't as reliable and are just plain cumbersome. Didn't the Aurora shooter have a jam with a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 100 round magazine

I have no interest in them because they aren't as reliable and are just plain cumbersome.

Didn't the Aurora shooter have a jam with a 100 round magazine, which helped slow down his rampage?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Do you need it , and do you have a constitutional right to own it ,are two very different things. Right now I don't think I need it. But it's my Constitutional right to if I want it. All my rights given me under the Constitution are of equal importance and I won't compromise any of them. It's an individual choice as to wheather you "need" it or not. But wheather we have a Constitutional right to have it is not on the table. If you let them take one, they will take them all..................... not gonna happen.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Even the 60 round mags don't seem to offer any serious advantage. For a patrol rifle, where the officer may not have time to grab spare mags or throw on his carrier, I'd recommend a second 30 round mag in a Redi-Mod on the gun before one 60 round mag. If the gun malfunctions in those situations, you clear it and insert a new mag, not the same mag as there's little time to assess if it's possibly mag related or not. So, a second 30 round mag is an advantage.

Where the 60 round mag would shine, and possibly the 100 though it's large and makes going prone a serious chore, is in military use, mainly the Marines with the IAR, which is replacing or supplementing the m249 in some units. The use of the IAR over the m249 makes quite a bit of sense in urban warfare where the machine gunner may need to fill a role of an entry team, for example. Currently they are using 30 round mags. Having more ammo in that type of gun is never a bad thing, especially where many more 30 round mags are available.

For civilian, law enforcement or even military use (in an M4), I don't see it offering any advantage, only negatives. Being lower to the ground is a benefit.

Now, 40+ years ago this very topic may have come up about 30 round mags and many may have asked "Why do I need more than 20 in my gun and why would I want a mag that hangs lower than my grip?" So, maybe I'm just not forward-thinking enough here!

Edit - I'm thinking strictly Surefire mags here. I completely forgot about Beta Mags. I had one for 5.56 and one in 9mm for my MP5. I think I used them each less than two or three times. They are cumbersome, to say the least.

I have a video somewhere of me shooting it in my MP5....
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    I bought a beta mag before buying beta mags was cool... much like Jon's it was used only a few times. There was a little bit of a "cool factor" to it at the range, but that's pretty much it. In a word: meh
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I can see having a 100 round magazine in a fixed position - who needs a dedicated machine-gun when they have a semi-auto rifle with a 100 round mag? The Beta C-Mags are a better design than the Surefire - less height, so better for being in the prone position. They are a bit heavy to be carrying around in my opinion - but people can do what they want.

And on a sarcastic note - I agree with QKShooter. I think hollowpoints should be done away with, and we should stick with concave bullets from now on. Less scary that way.

Austin

Because in an M16 it takes 3.3 times as long to go thru them,downside is you do 100 round mag dump and your barrel gets cherry red,My buddy has a Beta C Mag but he hasn't used it in quite awhile,he gets a new toy and uses it for a few weeks and then it's on to something else,I'd like to see a 500 round mag in 22LR for the M16/AR15 platform In his M16 it would take over 30 seconds of sustained fire to empty it.
    The surefire 100 round stick mags seem to be too long in some peoples opinion,but the 60 round mags work a lot better
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Practically speaking- I have NO need for a 100 round magazine. Legally, though, I need as big a magazine as I could want or ever imagine. Because the Constitution gives me that right.

...and because I said so...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I have no interest in them because they aren't as reliable and are just plain cumbersome.

Didn't the Aurora shooter have a jam with a 100 round magazine, which helped slow down his rampage?
    They're gonna fix that with a mag capacity cap. Now shooters in the future will be forced to use reliable 10 round mags so they should be more efficient in their killing spree. Reloads don't take THAT long.
    rmxer85, BkCo1 and mg27 like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    How does the weight of all the bullets affect shooting the rifle. I could see it where it would be fun to just fire off shots at the range. But I could not see using one. I know some have a good feed system and some have spring issues, How do you know whats good and whats not so. I don't believe it is up to the goverment to tell us what we can and can't have!
    Honestly the real purpose of one of these would be for a weapon with selective fire capability, which is difficult if not impossible to obtain in the US, thanks to a 1934 ban on automatic weapons. The way to know if any device is reliable, is simply to use it until you trust it, or it fails, which would require several thousand rounds of ammunition going through it.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Why? For the "WOW!" factor.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I want one because I can, and it's cool. And, you know, in case of zombies...

But also just so I can have it as an object lesson that there is no reason not to have one (except cost, in initial purchase, and ammo). And for zombies :)
    Walk softly ...

A 100 round drum/mag is not to be messed with either. Once they start that it just goes down, down, down till your turning in your guns..

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I think you used one too many zeros in there my friend. I'm on a 2000-2500 calorie per day diet and that's plenty of food to me. If you eat 20,000 calories in one sitting, well, you must be a rather large guy.. or possibly an elephant.
    I was exagerating a bit, but I'm a one meal a day man. I eat nothing during the day, but when I get home from work and eat my evening meal, you better get out of the way.
    Donnie D
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Heck, I prefer 20-rd mags to the 30-rd ones...easier to get into the prone.
    Thanks for the comment. I always thought it was just me and the prone position.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieD View Post
    I was exagerating a bit, but I'm a one meal a day man. I eat nothing during the day, but when I get home from work and eat my evening meal, you better get out of the way.
    Donnie D
    yeah, me too.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links