Need suggestions deciding on an AR

This is a discussion on Need suggestions deciding on an AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm having trouble narrowing down my preferred spec.'s on an AR purchase - especially in light of current availability. Suggestions welcome: Use: Home defense Preferred ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need suggestions deciding on an AR

Need suggestions deciding on an AR

I'm having trouble narrowing down my preferred spec.'s on an AR purchase - especially in light of current availability. Suggestions welcome:

Use: Home defense
    Preferred calibers: 5.56 or 308 / 7.62 NATO ??
    Manufacturer: I don't mind spending more on quality (i.e. DPMS, Rock River, Ruger, Daniel ??)
    Twist: 1:7, 8, 9 ??
    Availability: Besides locally, any suggested, trustworthy web sites and how long for shipping?
    Ammo: Suggested trustworthy web sites for mail-order (not a whole lot locally anymore)

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I am afraid you probably missed the boat on availability. About the only way to find one is to spend lots of time looking for someone to get them in stock. From what I hear everyone has waiting lists months long.

Thanks. I know that I can get in line early at sporting stores before they open but I was looking for more depth info about alternate sources.

5.56 is the caliber for which this platform was created. At this point, you better go with the first "reasonable" deal you can find. The time for being a picky shopper is over. Good Luck.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    You need to do a search for AR info. There have been 50 threads here lately on this same subject. There is probably a days worth of reading.

Then, once you've done your homework you can come back and ask specific questions. In all reality though, your ship has already sailed and if I wanted a gun for HD I'd look into something other than an AR.

Tip: Do a search for the name jonconsiglio. Then when your search results come up scroll down to threads that pertain to ARs. Jon is our AR SME and you can save yourself a lot of time by just learning from him.

ETA: Using my own tip I did some of the leg work for you.

Gas vs. Piston

DPMS Oracle?

Is Bushmaster a qualtiy AR-15 and is this a good price??

Gods help me, I may cross over to the dark [AR] side. Newby questions

Best AR15 for less than $1k? Simple!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I would just wait a bit. If there ends up being no bans, which i think is highly possible, there should be many available at much more reasonable prices.

VIP Member
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    I would just wait a bit. If there ends up being no bans, which i think is highly possible, there should be many available at much more reasonable prices.
    Don't get me wrong.....I hope you are right, but I sure wouldn't bank on "no bans". It's gonna happen, I doubt by Congressional action, but the administration and its minions have made it very clear that they will get what they want by Executive Order, if by no other means. True, this can be challenged in court, but it may take 2-3 years to hit the SCOTUS. In the meantime it will not be good times for those who wish to exercise their 2A rights as intended by our founders.

Large cap mags......gone. Weapons with one or more "military attributes".....gone. "Buy what you want and how much" internet ammo sales....gone. The list goes on, but I'm getting too depressed to continue.

Flight Surgeon, USAF

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    5.56 is the caliber for which this platform was created. At this point, you better go with the first "reasonable" deal you can find. The time for being a picky shopper is over. Good Luck.
    The 7.62x51 is the caliber for which the AR platform was created. The AR-15 is a shrunk-down version of the AR-10.
    Agreed that it's a little late to be shopping for either one now!

Regards,
    Jim

It's too late to be picky, unless you can pay extra (like double MSRP) for a quality gun. Armslist, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica - a few websites where you will be able to find some for sale.

Good luck.

Austin

Go to M4Carbine.net Lots of good info over there. If you can stick with Colt, Bravo Company (BCM) or Daniel Defense. This especially holds true if you plan on using it for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    The 7.62x51 is the caliber for which the AR platform was created. The AR-15 is a shrunk-down version of the AR-10.
    Agreed that it's a little late to be shopping for either one now!

Regards,
    Jim
    I stand corrected, Jim. Thanks. I was thinking only in terms of the AR15, as first created by Fairchild-ArmaLite in the late 50's, which was in the 5.56 caliber.

Flight Surgeon, USAF

NRA Patron Member

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Don't get me wrong.....I hope you are right, but I sure wouldn't bank on "no bans". It's gonna happen, I doubt by Congressional action, but the administration and its minions have made it very clear that they will get what they want by Executive Order, if by no other means. True, this can be challenged in court, but it may take 2-3 years to hit the SCOTUS. In the meantime it will not be good times for those who wish to exercise their 2A rights as intended by our founders.

Large cap mags......gone. Weapons with one or more "military attributes".....gone. "Buy what you want and how much" internet ammo sales....gone. The list goes on, but I'm getting to depressed to continue.

Yup i share some of your fears.

I know it's far to soon to be giving up (I've already written my state politicians) but i can sense some people are starting to come back to earth, realizing an all out AR ban will be nearly impossible to pull off in the long run. My main concern at this point is high cap mags. Specifically pistol mags.

I would say go ahead and stock up on a few P-mags just in case but it's really too late to find them with much frequency... I was looking at AR's a few months before the SHTF and never settled on one. I could pay 2000 for a S&W Sport but i'm just not going to. I may end up being sorry but i see things coming back to near normal before seeing the need to pay the current prices

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You would probably do better selection wise at a gun show, and make a private deal.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

At the last gun show I was at those selling ARs had a price range of $2500. Check out Wendam Weaponry. They are made by the poeple that used to make Bushmasters before it was bought out. Mine seams pretty good. It came with a sling, case, manual, one mag. It is more accurate than I can hold it. I saw one for around $1200-1500 yesterday at a gun shop. Good luck.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links