Kicked like a friggin' mule!

This is a discussion on Kicked like a friggin' mule! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty Look anything like this Arab Gun Test.flv - Repeat in a loop Ah yes the T-Rex, kills at one end and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kicked like a friggin' mule!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Look anything like this
    Arab Gun test.flv - Repeat in a loop
    Ah yes the T-Rex, kills at one end and maims at the other.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    One unfortunate thing, the range I'm a part of only allows Buckshot.
    Uncertain where you're at, specifically, but it's highly likely you've got a suitable shotgun range nearby: List of AZ shooting ranges, AZ Public Shooting Ranges or AZ Fish & Game list of Shooting Ranges.

Plus, shooting on BLM/public lands might be an option. Check AZ BLM web site: click. Find a spot with a good backstop hill, fire away, clean up before leaving. Makes for a very nice afternoon, without all the range-type restrictions, risky shooters, etc. If uncertain where local spots might be, I'm sure some of the old timers at your range would know of a couple decent nearby locations suitable for shooting on public lands.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Uncertain where you're at, specifically, but it's highly likely you've got a suitable shotgun range nearby: AZ Public Shooting Ranges or AZ Fish & Game list of Shooting Ranges.

Plus, shooting on BLM/public lands might be an option. Check AZ BLM web site: click. Find a spot with a good backstop hill, fire away, clean up before leaving. Makes for a very nice afternoon, without all the range-type restrictions, risky shooters, etc. If uncertain where local spots might be, I'm sure some of the old timers at your range would know of a couple decent nearby locations suitable for shooting
    I know there's a couple BLM/public areas that I can shoot at around here. I just haven't had anyone show me where they were at yet. It's a lot easier to get birdshot or target shells and probably cheaper as well, so that's definitely an option I'm going to look into.

It sounds like shooting a shotgun is much like shooting a .50 cal BMG. Snug it up tight, get a firm seat, then just go with the push. (of course, I'm standing with the shotgun, but the same idea applies).

Kicked like a friggin' mule!

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Fridays are range days for my wife and me. The greatest thing is, I got my 250 shotgun shells yesterday, so I can go shoot my new shotguns.

Picked up the Mossberg 500 - fed five Winchester 00 buck 2 3/4 inch buck into it. Ouch. Alright, that's fine, I can always pad the end - not to mention, I only have 15 rounds of those, then I'll move to my low-velocity buckshot from PMC. Yeah, that's a dream. It kicked harder than the Winchester ammo. I WASN'T expecting that. Lower Velocity means lower powder, means less kick, right? Yeah, guess again.

PMC Low Velocity 00 Buck = a sore shoulder (haven't shot a shotgun in 20 years). Funny thing, I also fired the Stevens 320, and really enjoyed it. It actually had less kick (heavier gun). I think I'm going to buy a pistol grip/stock for the Mossberg. Really is a little easier to handle and I think holding on to the pistol grip lessens the recoil a bit.
    I have a Maverick 88 and that put a Limbsaver on it. The original recoil was piece of very hard black rubber. It made quite a big difference shooting full power 2 3/4" 00 buckshot with the Limbsaver. Later on I put a Houge over molded 12" LOP buttstock on instead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links