Why have a light on your Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Why have a light on your Shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need 600 bucks to buy one. May have to strap that maglite to it after all....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why have a light on your Shotgun?

I need 600 bucks to buy one. May have to strap that maglite to it after all.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe its good to see what you are shooting in the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    One thing you DONT want to do is repeatedly shoot that shotgun with a light mounted on it. If you have one on there and want to go play with it, take it off. When you are done shooting, put it back on.

Shotguns are hard on lights. That recoil will break the filaments in those bulbs in short order.

I know of several incidents where shotguns with mounted lights on them did not work after being shot at qualifications. It's day time. You shoot. You qualify. You put shotgun back in car. You pull it out two months later on a felony stop out in the country where you need all the light you can get and it dosent work when you expect it to.

Or you and your buddies go shoot some stuff on the weekend and you get home and put it where it belongs. You here a bump in the night, grab the shotgun and the light dont work.

Awkward situation.
    Shotguns are hard on lights. That recoil will break the filaments in those bulbs in short order.

Not a problem with the high powered LED's.

Always shoot mine with the light attached. Check my light each night when placing it by the bed.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by PAPADALE1 View Post
    I need 600 bucks to buy one. May have to strap that maglite to it after all.
    Lights aren't too bad.

LumaForce LF1 Modular Design Tactical Flashlights
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

The benefit of light in the dark is a clear benefit, assuming it's tactically appropriate to be lighting things up at that moment.

I've tried it both ways. Am not an expert at either, though I tend to be more comfortable with a weapon-mounted light.

IMO ...

Granted, there are techniques for operating light with a firearm whether it's weapon-mounted or hand-held, and a person needs to train on competently using light while maintaining effective control (and use) of the firearm. Either method will work. Though some feel far more comfortable with a weapon-mounted light, given that it essentially frees up a hand and allows two hands on the firearm at all times (if desired).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For all of you on Defense that have a Shotgun light on you Shotgun, are there any Shotgun Light Systems out there that are affordable that I can attach to my Mossberg 500? I know one gets what they pay for but it would be nice for a change if I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg?

Thanks..

I've heard some say,they have one on their's to maybe momentarily blind someone.May or may not work.We leave a small lamp on in the living room at night,so i doubt it would do me any good

Quote Originally Posted by Frado View Post
    For all of you on Defense that have a Shotgun light on you Shotgun, are there any Shotgun Light Systems out there that are affordable that I can attach to my Mossberg 500? I know one gets what they pay for but it would be nice for a change if I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg?

Thanks..
    This place has lights, magazine tube mounts and remote switches.
    LumaForce LF1 Modular Design Tactical Flashlights

http://www.lumaforce.com/weapon-lighting-systems.html
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

Well, you know something? This thread inspired me. Went to Lowes, got two more Mag Lite XL50 LED flashlights, and duct taped them to my Mini 14 and my Rem 870 pump shotgun. Yeah, probably would not be durable enough for running through an assault course, but for home defense, I suspect my "bubba solution" will work just fine. Can switch the light on/off with my support hand's thumb. Still don't think it is "necessary" for my purposes, but for $30 ea, why not?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Why have a light on your Shotgun?
    Why have a light on your vehicle?

Honestly, it's the same premise.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I didn't read the other responses as I'm sure it'll do nothing but make my blood pressure rise. A WML is not a flashlight and should not be used as such. Follow that advice solves all the the naysayers concerns.
    Exactly. Now, the new 500 lumen x300u and similar lights make it easier to search with your handgun in a low ready yet still have enough light to see whatever you need to see without ever risking pointing your muzzle at anything you don't want to. But, it does not replace a handheld light.

Handhelds are to see what's going on. Weapon mount lights are when you know (or feel) a fight is imminent. I can't stress enough the importance of low light training, no matter who you are, where you live, or what threat you might face.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Because you ALWAYS identify your target prior to pulling the trigger. Just because you see a shadow in your house, does not give you the right to point and shoot. People have accidentally shot loved ones when they woke up and shot at a shadow.

What if your front door blows open due to the wind and your neighbor calls the police fearing a break in? The police arrive, and clear your house looking for signs of a break in or a homeowner in distress and you wake up and accidentally shoot an officer? You will most likely spend the rest of your days in prison.

The police and military put lights on their long guns so that they can identify a threat before they shoot. That premise doesn't change for law abiding gun owners/homeowners.
    Lifetime NRA member

Thanks for the responses.

A couple things to note - If I have a shotgun pointed down the stairs (configuration in my house suggests this is the most likely scenario), then that already means: (1) I woke up and found my wife lying next to me (and with no other family around, no "loved ones" to worry about here since I have no family that would just "stop by for a visit-especially at three in the am); (2) I'm looking straight down at my front door and can see either broken glass or a broken frame by the outside lights (it's pretty bright at night around here).

That was my original thought. In that case, I was assuming that any kind of light on my part would only serve to draw attention to me, something I decidedly wouldn't want to happen. The idea of temporarily freezing them by a high-lumen light makes a lot of sense. I understand the "Identify before shooting" idea. In my thoughts however, a couple people carrying my 55" tv out the front door is enough identification. Isn't it? Especially with the way Arizona laws are written concerning shooting trespassers in your home.

It almost NEVER works like we play it out in our minds. I've needed a gun twice. Neither time did it go anything like I expected. One was at 3am at home, the other was a carjacking at noon on a Sarurday in a wealthy area.

I train constantly, often in shoot houses. The second time, I was prepared to fight, but I had to think my way through it. The first time, not so much as I had almost zero training (13 years ago).

A ton of unexpected things can happen. What if I see a threat in my home and without any additional light, I take him down. Then, from the side, his partner has to run through me to get out. Had I illuminated the first threat, peripheral lighting form a quality light like a Surefire would have likely let me see the second.

What if you shoot one and the other instantly complies, but you don't see the gun in his belt as he goes to the ground and shoots you? Without training, it's extremely hard to deal with two threats. Hell, with training it can be hard. The last thing I want with all that chaos is to not see EXACTLY what is going on.

If it's time to shoot, it's time to shoot. Adding light to the equation, in absolutely no way, will change that. It can only help you see the threat better. Believe me, you're spotted by the second guy already when you start firing.

As for light disorienting the threat, it's possible. BUT, I never, ever rely on that and if it does happen, it's just an unexpected bonus.

Please understand, I have thought this through and discuses it with industry pros numerous time, and after numerous low light classes and two very real situations, I cannot think of one single reason that a light would hurt where I could just choose NOT to activate it. But, I can think of a great number where it's an incredible asset.

One in the pocket no matter what. One on the weapon is a very nice bonus.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have an TLR-1 attached to my shotgun and it works with no problems. Positive identification is absolutely necessary when you are protecting your house.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links