Have Black Rifles Reached Greater Fool Status?

This is a discussion on Have Black Rifles Reached Greater Fool Status? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I mentioned earlier that I went to a gun show in Columbus, Ohio today. The place was absolutely packed, from the front gate of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Have Black Rifles Reached Greater Fool Status?

VIP Member

I mentioned earlier that I went to a gun show in Columbus, Ohio today. The place was absolutely packed, from the front gate of the fairgrounds forward. A couple things really stood out. First, it seemed like every other person going into the show had an AR or two slung over their shoulders. When I got inside, there were ARs on every other table, all stupidly high-priced. Stacks of high dollar magazines were in abundance. With all that, I saw hardly anybody buying.
    Later in the day, I went to an LGS which I visited a week ago. Their Glock/M&P inventory was noticeably depleted since then, but several of the rifles I saw were still there, with prices reduced a couple hundred dollars each.
    There still isn't a Glock or M&P magazine to be found, but the other stuff seems to be cooling down a bit.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Everybody looking to cash in on the buying frenzy.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Tulip mania.......
    mano3, nedrgr21, Hopyard and 2 others like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Saw three GI 30 round magazines at a flea market today.

"What are you asking for your mags" I asked. The seller replies "$75.00 each", As I smile and start walking away he says "Yeah I know. Three weeks ago they were eight bucks apiece".

Amazing.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Some "investments" might not pay off.
    And IMHO the answer to your question is yes

Answer : Yes

I might buy after the bubble has burst.
    I WAS looking for a 10/22 Target Tactical or a CZ 452 in .22
    but not now...

Yeah, I've switched from next purchase of AR to P32 or MkIII+suppressor

I've switched my next purchase to a 17HMR. Cuz apparently it's the only ammo that stays on the shelf at Walmart when the world goes insane.
    miller_man likes this.

RKM
    I've been DYING for a Marlin 336. Saw one at Wal-Mart for $390. I have a few other things to take care of first. Thankfully everybody is busy buying AR's. There was also PLENTY of .30-30 ammo on the shelf too :D

You can now find .223 ammo at on-line retailers...very little choice, and the only stuff that's not grossly inflated in price is match-grade and other "specialty" ammo....but at least there's some there.

My local Acadamey also has .45ACP back in stock - just picked up 600 rounds of FMJ and some Gold Dots to break in my new HK45C. I'm happy to report that I paid the Dec 1st prices for all of those items.

I'm thinking all the people that were buying AR's were buying them at reasonable prices,once prices got ignorant sellers may have been asking X amount,but most buyers weren't gonna pay Noveske price for a M&P quality AR
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unless there is an actual ban enacted, I feel like prices have peaked, or they will in the next week or so. Sandy Hook is now old news (not being callous, that is just how things are), and now people are mad that their paychecks are smaller. I'm hoping the bubble will burst, and I'll be able to do my SDM-R build on the cheap what with all of the panic buyers realizing they have no use for an AR-15, and flooding the market when they sell them back.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I've been DYING for a Marlin 336. Saw one at Wal-Mart for $390. I have a few other things to take care of first. Thankfully everybody is busy buying AR's. There was also PLENTY of .30-30 ammo on the shelf too :D
    Yep, bought 2 boxes before Christmas no problem. Was one of the few ammo in stock. I was thinking of a AR back in Nov, but with my 30-30, I feel safe enough if I need a long gun for protection and I don't have to worry about the panic buyers.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 13th, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I've switched my next purchase to a 17HMR. Cuz apparently it's the only ammo that stays on the shelf at Walmart when the world goes insane.
    If you're not being facetious, 17's a nice little round and one of the favorites in my safe. I don't know of any other rounds good for distance rifle work for that price/round.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    If you're not being facetious, 17's a nice little round and one of the favorites in my safe. I don't know of any other rounds good for distance rifle work for that price/round.
    Not trying to start the dreaded caliber war, but what do you consider to be "distance work"? I just ran the numbers on that round, and they are extremely unimpressive.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links