shotgun spread vs precision, lead vs plated

This is a discussion on shotgun spread vs precision, lead vs plated within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do you guys think of the importance of spread vs precision in a shotgun (flite control vs standard) and lead vs steel shot for ...

View Poll Results: shotgun spread vs precision, lead vs plated for home defense

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer tighter patterning shotgun loads

27 48.21%
  • I prefer standard loads

20 35.71%
  • I prefer lead shot

22 39.29%
  • I prefer plated shot

6 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21

Thread: shotgun spread vs precision, lead vs plated

Ex Member Array AssaultDeathNot's Avatar

What do you guys think of the importance of spread vs precision in a shotgun (flite control vs standard) and lead vs steel shot for home defense? Spread makes it easier to hit the target but tight patterning loads cause more devastating wounds and have less chance of a stray pellet missing the target and lead shot deforms making bigger wound channels but plated shot is much less likely to have "flyers".

VIP Member
    The tighter the pattern the greater the effective range of the weapon.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    The general rule of thumb for a shotgun with a cylinder bore barrel is 1" of spread per yard traveled this of course can be changed with choke tubes and such. I prefer standard 00 buck loads for shotgun work of course it is imperative that you pattern whatever load you are going to use to know exactly what the gun and particular shot load will do.

I have pump guns but have recently gotten my Saiga back from having it built and converted so will have to find what is most reliable in the gun and work from there.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If you want your shotgun to perform like a rifle, get a rifle. Lead deforms much more than plated, pellet deformation impedes penetslration, but perfectly round balls have a greater propensity to let elastic tissue slip around their surface.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Just because you can keep a tighter pattern with flite control wads, that does not help the SG pellets maintain velocity and does not really extend "effective" range, just range.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member
    while my first choice for home defense is not my shotgun, it is always an option.

at the longest straight-line distance in my home, the standard 00 buck loads that live "in the tube" pattern out to *maybe* 3-4 inches and I don't think I'd want to change that.

if I need to touch something with the shotgun at significantly greater distances, I'll pop a slug or a sabot downrange.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Links