New Marlin 336's - Page 2

New Marlin 336's

This is a discussion on New Marlin 336's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by kerberos Avoid the Remlins... Too many gently used/not abused pre Remlin 336's in pawn shops. I recently picked up a 1970 model ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Marlin 336's

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Avoid the Remlins...

Too many gently used/not abused pre Remlin 336's in pawn shops.

I recently picked up a 1970 model that has an action that is butter smooth.

At least do yourself the favor of fondling a few older ones (I chose to go pre cross-bolt safety)...

You WILL be able to FEEL and SEE the difference.

I have handled two older Marlin 336's both owned for a LONG time by a buddy of mine and the other, my brother-in-law. I have not handled a new one, only saw it in the little turny display case at Wal-Mart. I'll have to keep an eye out for used ones.

New ones look fine to me... I have had mine since '72 I think... Scoped in at 200 yds... I can hit 19 out of 20 in the black center (on a rest)...

marlin336rgt.JPG

But mine is a .35Rem... a tad harder to find those rounds...
    Snub44 likes this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I just purchased 2, never been fired 336W's from a local pawn shop that he had listed on Gunbroker... He originally was asking $375 for one because it had a rail, and $320 for the other one. I was only going to buy one. I'd seen all of the ******* and moaning from folks about the Remlins, and had looked in ernest for a period of a couple of years for one of these guns.... I've probably held and looked at 4-500 "Remlin" rifles over the last 2 years, and I have YET to find one that was in anyway like the forums had complained about. Are they out there? I dunno. I didn't find one in all that time of looking....Were some of the actions rougher than others? Yep, but I'll bet you can say that about all lever actions.... I paid $600 for both rifles and 6 boxes of ammo.... So, I think I did pretty well. As far as I can tell, neither one looks to have been fired at all. no marks on the loading gates, etc. I bought 'em both thinking I could trick one out and keep the other pretty stock....
    Cabela's always has a few used ones on their rack. The Price is always $449, no matter what the gun looks like. The new ones they have behind the counter are $589...

I used to go to the Marlin forum a while back (haven't been on the site for about a year) and when Remington bought Marlin, there was a lot of nervousness about the moving from Conn. There were a lot of members of that forum than bought new Marlins with all of those defects listed in this post. The last I heard was that Remington had stopped production of all the lever guns to re train the employees to put out a higher quality product that Marlin owners received from the Conn. shop. Since that voluntary shut down, I heard that the quality is back up, but not quite to the Conn. shop. Go to Marlinowners.com and ask around. Those guys know the ins and outs of all Marlin rifles.

I bought my 336W pre remington and I absolutely love the rifle. Every time I think of buying an AR or AK, I shoot my 336 and realize that you don't need the latest wiz bang semi to be able to protect yourself.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I know nothing about the new Marlin 336s but have a lot of respect for the design. Much as I love the Winchester 94, the Marlin 336 is a superior rifle to actually shoot off the bench rest for accuracy. I've satisfied myself on that score on several occasions. It's a wonder I haven't added one to the menagerie here.

In fact there was a late model Model 336 .35 Remington at the last gun show I was eyeing...
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

...just bought from my local pawn shop an early 2000 walnut stocked 336...no bolt safety...clean and slick...for $350...long as I can find the older ones, I won't buy the new ones...have read herds of complaints from Marlin lovers in the last two years...handle an old one and a new one and you'll see/feel the difference...WallyWorld has hardwood not walnut, if I remember correctly...

I got a Marlin 336 for my 21st birthday. I've hunted two deer seasons with it so far and it works like a charm. Functions flawlessly, light, easy to carry, points naturally and most important of all- it kills deer dead. I'm a big fan of the 160 grain LeverEvolution too.

My main concern with lever guns is the cycling. I have tendon damage in my hands and want something that won't hurt while using. I plan on doing a little research to smooth the action and improve feeding, but I plan on getting a new Marlin 336 Friday. I will tell you have she feels.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I bought my 336W pre remington and I absolutely love the rifle. Every time I think of buying an AR or AK, I shoot my 336 and realize that you don't need the latest wiz bang semi to be able to protect yourself.
    Amen! Especially at the current prices - if you can even find an AR, or an AK - or ammo for either. Meanwhile, there are plenty of lever guns and .30-30 ammo out there. You can outfit your whole family with lever guns, for the price of one AR or AK. I know what I'd do.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

...correction on this: found a source that said to find the age of Marlins, take first two numbers of serial number and subtract from 100, this giving you the year of manufacture...mine was made in 1976, if that's accurate...the above post about crossbolt safety in 80s made me go looking...I'm glad mine is older...sure has been cared for well
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...just bought from my local pawn shop an early 2000 walnut stocked 336...no bolt safety...clean and slick...for $350...long as I can find the older ones, I won't buy the new ones...have read herds of complaints from Marlin lovers in the last two years...handle an old one and a new one and you'll see/feel the difference...WallyWorld has hardwood not walnut, if I remember correctly...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links