New Marlin 336's

New Marlin 336's

This is a discussion on New Marlin 336's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking into getting a Marlin 336C .30-30 within the next month or two. After doing some looking around on the internet, I've been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Marlin 336's

New Marlin 336's

I've been looking into getting a Marlin 336C .30-30 within the next month or two. After doing some looking around on the internet, I've been seeing a lot of complaints about the new Marlin's, being built by Remington. Many people complaining about fit and finish, scratches, canted sights and a rough action. Now I've see some pictures of what some of these guys are nitpicking about. A scratch here, or the stain on the wood isn't perfect, or the wood is slightly uneven or other small non-function related problems. They're $400 guns. I'm not expecting a KAC here. But my main concern is I've read of issues with cycling and rough actions. Canted sights I would be able to inspect in the store. However, some stores will not let you cycle guns or handle them in such a way to get a good idea of how the action feels.

Has anybody bought a new Marlin 336 within the past two years? Any problems or issues related to the function? I'm not looking for a beauty queen. I'm interested in a lever gun that works. I want to put an XS rail and sights on it. And MAYBE an Aimpoint. I'm kind of getting the feeling that these are like WASR's, many people complaining about small issues that really don't matter or can easily be fixed.

I saw one in my local Wal-Mart the other night. I did not ask to see it because I can't spend the money on one right now, and I was afraid I'd accidentally leave with it, disregarding my lack of funds.

So, anybody?

About 2+ years ago I did purchase a Marlin 336SS...I love the gun.
    You won't go wrong with a 336...no problems here.
    If you can spend a bit more, I would suggest the Stainless Steel.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm glad you posted this, I didn't know about the complaints in regards to new Marlins. My local WM has a 30-30 Marlin 336W for $387.00. It sounds like a good deal to me - for a 30 caliber gun. I look at it everytime I go to WM. I'll be interested in hearing what people have to say about them.

I'd be cruising the pawn shops and used gun racks at gun stores for a used-but-not-abused 336. I work in aerospace and have experience with relocating manufacturing facilities - it's not "plug and play." So when I read in numerous places about poorer quality of the "Remlin" guns post New Haven, I don't take it as gospel but it sure raises my suspicions and doubts.

I managed to score a nice 336 at a Phoenix gun show... it had so little use, the loading gate had no wear marks. When I swabbed the bore, what I saw told me the gun had had maybe a box of ammo through it, tops. It's the 'W' version - the econo model - but who cares, it's a great shooter. Keep your eyes open and I bet you'll be able to find a good pre-owned one as well.
    kerberos and Snub44 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd be cruising the pawn shops and used gun racks at gun stores for a used-but-not-abused 336. I work in aerospace and have experience with relocating manufacturing facilities - it's not "plug and play." So when I read in numerous places about poorer quality of the "Remlin" guns post New Haven, I don't take it as gospel but it sure raises my suspicions and doubts.

I managed to score a nice 336 at a Phoenix gun show... it had so little use, the loading gate had no wear marks. When I swabbed the bore, what I saw told me the gun had had maybe a box of ammo through it, tops. It's the 'W' version - the econo model - but who cares, it's a great shooter. Keep your eyes open and I bet you'll be able to find a good pre-owned one as well.
    +1 I picked up a nice 336 with a 3x9 Bushnell on it for 295.00 in great shape last summer.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I'll have to keep an eye out at the next gun show. It seem hit or miss with the new Marlin's.

I'd like to have this rifle as a secondary defensive rifle. Or a defensive rifle for certain situations, which I have yet to think of, haha. But Mainly it'll be a range gun.

I've read Marlin was taken over in 2008. I'd think the bugs would be worked out by now. I'd prefer to buy a new gun as it's easy to just walk into a store and buy it off the shelf and not have to search for a good used one, or buy online. But if that's what I'll have to do, that's what I'll have to do. Are the new Marlin's really that bad?

Sounds like a nice project. How much should a nice used 336 cost? What would you pay for one?

I got mine for about $275 3 years ago (that was with 9% sales tax), and jbum got his with a scope for under $300.

I would target the $300 range and maybe go a little higher for a really nice one. I think the 336W was going for about $400 at Wal-Mart last summer, so you don't want to crowd that number.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    +1 I picked up a nice 336 with a 3x9 Bushnell on it for 295.00 in great shape last summer.
    Very nice.

I wasn't trying to ignore your post. I had a weird delay and my post was posted after yours before I even had a chance to read it. Thanks for the info.

I got mine for about $275 3 years ago (that was with 9% sales tax), and jbum got his with a scope for under $300.

I would target the $300 range and maybe go a little higher for a really nice one. I think the 336W was going for about $400 at Wal-Mart last summer, so you don't want to crowd that number.
    Sounds good, thanks for the tip.

VIP Member
    Marlins are nice guns. I've seen a couple with issues, but too I've seen issues with guns from many of the major makers.

My local Walmart has a Marlin 336W for $387 that I have been eyeing too. God Bless

Avoid the Remlins...

Too many gently used/not abused pre Remlin 336's in pawn shops.

I recently picked up a 1970 model that has an action that is butter smooth.

At least do yourself the favor of fondling a few older ones (I chose to go pre cross-bolt safety)...

You WILL be able to FEEL and SEE the difference.

Snub44 and scgunlover1 like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

P.S.

30-30 still in stock at every store that usually sells it... in NE Ark anyway.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

New Marlin 336's

Love Marlin lever guns, hate the crossbolt safety. Googled it, took me 5 minutes and the operational knowledge of a 3rd grader to disable it.

On an 1895 atleast, don't know about the 336.
    Snub44 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links