TRL1 Vs. TRL1HP

This is a discussion on TRL1 Vs. TRL1HP within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I have a G2 and G3, both have the twisty cap. I like the lights fine but hate that cap for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRL1 Vs. TRL1HP

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have a G2 and G3, both have the twisty cap. I like the lights fine but hate that cap for a WML.
    I have a 6P. It still has the twisty cap, but it also has a switch that clicks for on/off (I am sure there is a technical term), so you can tap it for momentarily, or click it to stay on. My streamlights also have the twisty cap, but don't like to stay turned on, similar to the G2.

The dedicated surefire WML's have a cap that twists too, but that is just so you can switch it depending on what side of the rifle it is on. They also have plugs for pressure switches.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm looking at both the Fury and 6P now, along with some other "lesser" options like the Fenix TK11 just to have something to compare.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm looking at both the Fury and 6P now, along with some other "lesser" options like the Fenix TK11 just to have something to compare.
    The 6P is a huge step up from the G series. Mine is an LED. It doesn't have the throw of an incandescent outdoors, but is very bright, and works great indoors. It also has a really long battery life. I actually carried it on both my deployments, and it still has the original bulb despite the daily abuse. The G series really doesn't compare at all.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Yeah, I know. I figure if I'm going to spend some cash on a new rifle light, I'm going to get a decent light. The problem is I really dont know much about lights.

As we all know, I like simple. Caveman simple. But all the LEDs seem to be dual output that I'm finding. I guess thats not terrible, but I'd rather have a simple on and off. Thats it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There is a Fury single output, I believe it's the Tactical and Bravo Company sells it.

I can talk lights for days on end, but I'll try to make this real simple.

If you want utterly bombproof, buy one of the Scouts. They are made to go on rifles and will handle anything you can throw at it. They've proven to be just as robust as their big brother Millenium lights. The x300's work well in this role as well and the x300 ultra is a great choice.

If you want to save some money and use a light intended for normal use but has proven to work very well on rifles and has high output, the Fury is where it's at. It may not be designed for weapon use, but it works almost as well a those that are.

Use a quality mount. I like LaRue and Gear Sector. The VTAC mount is nice and has apparently held up better than I thought. The Haley Strategic is good for short handguards or to offset the Millenium style mount, but other than that, I don't care for them.

Stick to single output always. A click on/off tailcap is also the best way to go. The ones you press for momentary on and twist for constant on are nice, but don't seem to work so well on rifles.

Contrary to the belief of some, 500 lumens is not at all too much light. The center beam isn't all that much brighter than the equivelant 200 lumen light, but the peripheral lighting is many times better, and that's where it really matters.

There will be a 500 lumen Scout soon. The head will be available separately. The x300's head is not replaceable. I'll post back with a link for the single output Fury.

One of these days I'll do a complete write upon weapon lights, including proper use plus the how's and why's. Some day.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here you go. Single output P2X Fury Tactical for $120 and in stock.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SureF...f-p2x-a-bk.htm
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Thank you~
    "Just blame Sixto"

RKM
    I have a few plain and simple TLR-1's. I like them because they're affordable. Not quite Surefire quality, but half the price. I know nothing of the TLR1HP's.

I used to use a TLR-1 on my AR at 12 o'clock, but decided that it sits too high. The iron sights are still useable, but barely. The X300's sit lower. I switched to just a simple Streamlight Polytac at 11 o'clock. I just wish Streamlight made a pressure pad for the Polytacs. I gave my one TLR-1 to my dad, use my other one on my M&P45 and a TLR-2 on my shotgun. I like the TLR lights.

I have the Polytacs which are 120 lumens and a Protac 2L that I carry in my pocket which is 180 Lumens and I can barley tell the difference in brightness. Plenty bright for inside. Could be brighter for outdoor use, in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links