TRL1 Vs. TRL1HP

This is a discussion on TRL1 Vs. TRL1HP within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is anybody using the HP version on their AR? What do you think of it?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRL1 Vs. TRL1HP

Administrator

TRL1 Vs. TRL1HP

Is anybody using the HP version on their AR? What do you think of it?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I don't use Streamlight, but I have used the TLR1 in the past. I'm all for the new Surefire 500 lumen weaponlights, even for close quarters indoor work due to their powerful peripheral lighting. BUT, it does not appear that the TLR1 HP is designed the same way. With it's larger head, it appears to be designed for rifle use in areas where extended throw is needed. It seems the focused portion of the beam is considerably brighter than the TLR1, while the x300u's higher output is overall with peripheral lighting being key.

So, I'll take a Surefire x300u for rural, urban or CQB work. I'd take the TLR1 for the same use and the TLR1 HD for rural use where extended throw is needed but I don't think it would be my first choice compared to the standard TLR1 for home defense or searching structures.

Understand that my opinion is based on what I've read about the TLR1 HD and NOT personal experience like with the high output Surefires.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    The only reason I ask is I came across one for really cheap, I thought I might put it on my patrol rifle and free up the TLR on it now for another pistol. I've never used an HP version at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Do you do a lot of entries with your patrol rifle? If so, I would be hesitant to use it. Not saying its a bad idea and I'm only basing this on what I've read, not seen personally. If your rifle work is primarily perimeter or used in rural areas, it might be a good choice.

I'm going to see what else I can find and I'll post back. If the price is right, take it anyway. You may find a use for it, even if it's not the use you initially intended.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Do you do a lot of entries with your patrol rifle?
    Yes, thats pretty much all I do with it. On occasion its perimeter, but mostly entry, be it a building or vehicle. Eventually I'll move over to the 10.5", but for now its the M4.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think I'd pass. To me, it would actually be a going in the wrong direction. It's "only" 200 lumens. I thought it was a higher output like the Surefire ultras, but it's essentially just a more tightly focused TLR-1. Which is the opposite of what I want for interior work.

The more peripheral lighting, the better, as you know. The HP will offer less peripheral lighting. Back a number of years, I used a Surefire M3. I eventually got an M3-T with their "turbo" head, which is about 1" wider. It threw an even tighter beam than the M3, and even with the brighter of the two included bulbs, it seemed to offer less peripheral lighting than the standard M3 with the lower output bulb.

A Surefire x300 allows great peripheral vision with its 200+- lumens. It is getting an upgrade to 250. The ultra puts out 500 lumens. The focused beam is certainly brighter, but the peripheral lighting is much brighter, filling shadows in areas that would normally stay dark until you moved. It's a huge benefit. To me, the HP will not offer those same benefits.

Again, this is not based on experience, just what I've read n the TLR-1 HP. So, take that for what it's worth.

Administrator
    It makes perfect sense to me; I still prefer my old m3 for my HD pistol for the exact virtues you've mentioned.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I absolutley love mine, but I mostly use it for range and its mounted on a 20 inch AR
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Sixto Have you checked out the Surefire Fury's? They are in the same price range. One tap gives you about 100 lumens tapping within 5 seconds gives out a blinding 500 lumens over a very large area. I run one on a VTAC mount on my Noveske SBR. Retails for about 130 total.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I've got a TLR-1s (160 lumens) for my FNP45T and I like it a lot, in fact I just ordered the new 300 lumen version for my SIG 556 patrol rifle. I got it from LA Police Gear they have them on sale for $99.99, mine will e here in a few days.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Sixto Have you checked out the Surefire Fury's? They are in the same price range. One tap gives you about 100 lumens tapping within 5 seconds gives out a blinding 500 lumens over a very large area. I run one on a VTAC mount on my Noveske SBR. Retails for about 130 total.
    No I haven't. I don't keep up much with flashlights, I'll go check em out now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I absolutely recommend the Fury. Get it with single output and use a VTAC, Gear Sector or LaRue mount and you're good to go. Spend a bit more p, and you can get the 500 lumen x300 ultra, which just fills the room with powerful light, but doesn't have the intense hot spot like a larger head will give (like the HP).

Administrator
    Does the Fury have that goofy surefire twist for on tailcap? Thats why I'm not buying another G2 and calling it a day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Does the Fury have that goofy surefire twist for on tailcap? Thats why I'm not buying another G2 and calling it a day.
    The G2 is the only surefire I know that has the twist cap without a switch that will keep it on. I've got a spare dedicated surefire or two around here, want to borrow one for a week and see if you like it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The G2 is the only surefire I know that has the twist cap without a switch that will keep it on. I've got a spare dedicated surefire or two around here, want to borrow one for a week and see if you like it?
    I have a G2 and G3, both have the twisty cap. I like the lights fine but hate that cap for a WML.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links