WTB Winchester model 94 30.30 at local auction

This is a discussion on WTB Winchester model 94 30.30 at local auction within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Found this Win 94 30.30 as well as a nice Savage 99 lever action 300 at a local auction this Saturday. I get to view ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: WTB Winchester model 94 30.30 at local auction

WTB Winchester model 94 30.30 at local auction

Found this Win 94 30.30 as well as a nice Savage 99 lever action 300 at a local auction this Saturday. I get to view them Friday. I think the winchester looks a little rough along the barrel. The photos are from the website so I can't do much about that... anyway, any idea what may be good auction prices on these?

If the photos don't show well, please look at the auction site page (firearm photos at bottom and can be clicked on and made bigger): firearms

thanks...

and yes, I like the Ruger too.

http://www.stokesauction.com/photoga..._JPG_orig.html
    http://www.stokesauction.com/photoga.../IMG_0449.html
    http://www.stokesauction.com/photoga.../IMG_0447.html
    http://www.stokesauction.com/photoga.../IMG_0236.html
    Attached Images
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

2. Remove Ads

Maybe look at completed sales on Gunbroker to get an idea. Good luck!

My take on these, based on the pictures - the M94 is an oldie, and shows a lot of "honest" wear, not abuse. Win 94s have skyrocketed in "value" ever since USRA stopped making them, and for newer ones (say, under 10 years old) it's undeserved. I don't think there's a way to date the gun without serial numbers, but there are a couple of Winchester collector sites that list date of production by S/N range. I would do my homework and have that list handy before bidding so you don't get taken. If you want it for a shooter, you really need to be able to examine the bore to make sure it's neither shot out nor corroded. Assuming the bore is clean and the gun is post WWI manufacture (generally better metallurgy post-WWI, not speaking specifically about Winchesters), that gun would probably fetch a minimum of $800.

The Savage 99 is a more attractive gun in many ways. It has a following, but not like Winchesters and moreover, not like the M94. Overall it's a stronger action, more easily mounts a scope (which I would never do on a vintage M94), shoots a more powerful round, and because of the rotary magazine it can safely be loaded with pointed-bullet ammo. With the Schnabel forend, if the gun is clean, bore is good, doesn't have a cracked or repaired stock (commonly where the stock is thinnest, just rear of the action), a smokin' deal would be $500 or less. If a Savage collector shows up, it'll go for over $800 is my guess.
    Cook74 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*
    The Winchester Model 94 is a 1927 "short rifle" (or it's been cut down).

gasmitty and Cook74 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Is there some wood lost around the top and bottom tangs? Cool ol' Winchester nonetheless. 1927 sounds about right. I think that Winchester Model 94 serial No. 1000000 was awarded to President Calvin Coolidge.

I personally love the Savage Model 99 rifle and most of the cartridges that were chambered for it, including the excellent .300 Savage. It's really modern in many respects. It just suffered from being a design that couldn't be adapted to inexpensive manufacturing techniques.
    Cook74 and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I think that Winchester Model 94 serial No. 1000000 was awarded to President Calvin Coolidge.
    You're correct, Bryan.
    Harry Truman received #1,500,000 and Eisenhower #2,000,000.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links