Mounting a Light to my Mossberg 590 w/ heatshield.

This is a discussion on Mounting a Light to my Mossberg 590 w/ heatshield. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently acquired a 9-shot Mossberg 590 with a heatshield, and the last thing I have left to figure out is the best way I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Mounting a Light to my Mossberg 590 w/ heatshield.

I recently acquired a 9-shot Mossberg 590 with a heatshield, and the last thing I have left to figure out is the best way I can mount a light to the gun. There are a few options I have found online after seeing some threads related to light mounting on HD shotguns. I do want some kind of pressure actuation for the light.

1. Surefire forend: This is what I would get in a heartbeat if I had money to burn. Looks great, and lots of great recommendations for it. But the price is a little higher than I am willing to pay. I would pay it if it was definitely the best option for MY personal needs.

Also just found out that Eotech makes a Surefire fore end style light for a little less, around 200$.

2. A light mounted forward of the pump, with a coiled cord to a pressure pad. I've seen this setup, and I have to say I hate the coiled cord. Looks like a lot of things could go wrong with that very quickly.

3. Fore end mounted light with a pressure pad.

Much like this GG&G forend.
    On Sale Remington 870 & Mossberg 500/590 Flashlight Mount Packages
    The sale, which includes the forend, mount, and Surefire Polytac for 105 seems like a pretty good deal.

I have also looked into an Ergo railed forend and mounting a light on there. The benefit of this over the GG&G Forend is that it is cheaper, and there is more rail for mounting options when it comes to the lights. But I'm not sure if it would be too bulky, at first look the square shape doesn't seem like it would be too comfortable.

This kind of setup seems to be something I would look into. No loose cords to snag, but not as expensive as the Surefire. Only downside is that I would have to buy a new fore end in addition to the mount, light, and pressure pad, making the Surefire seem a little more attractive since it's all one unit.

Edit to add this option: Magpul announced the MOE forend for Mossbergs coming soon. Only problem: How soon is soon?

How do you have your lights mounted to your shotgun? There are a ton of mounting options, it would be helpful to get some clearcut concise advice for my setup. I've heard that the heat shield could interfere with some mounting options. Also, I do know the whole adage, "buy once, cry once" and if it turns out the surefire fore end would be my definitive, best, and only option, then I guess I'd have to suck it up and shell out the money.

I also recognize that mounting on the left of the gun and using my thumb to actuare the button on the back of the flashlight is another option, but I have rather short thumbs and I don't see this being an option unless I get a mount that works with the heatshield and a pretty long flashlight. Here's a pic to illustrate:
    IMG_20130110_234217.jpg

And a picture of the headshield and how much space I have. I've asked CDM Gear if one of their mounts would work for this also, waiting to hear back from them.
    IMG_20130116_161004 (1).jpg

Thanks a lot everyone for your help.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

2. Remove Ads

Magpul at Shot show this week announced they are now making Mossberg furniture.

The forend starts around 30 bucks, you can get a rail section to mount on it for a couple more, and then add the light of your choice.

That is probably going to be the best bang for your buck, you might need to wait a little bit for them to actually get to market though.
    pattywak likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Doh! I can't believe I forgot to add that, especially when I got so excited when I found out earlier today. The question being, how long will it take to make it to market? And I suppose the Megpul forend option would fall under Option number 3 from the list above.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I have the surefire end on my mossberg 590, you will have to modify the heat shield or remove it totally like I did. The chances of me shooting enough rounds through the heavy barrel to need it is very slim to never.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Re: Mounting a Light to my Mossberg 590 w/ heatshield.

Quote Originally Posted by SIG_guy View Post
    I have the surefire end on my mossberg 590, you will have to modify the heat shield or remove it totally like I did. The chances of me shooting enough rounds through the heavy barrel to need it is very slim to never.
    Do you have the 590 or the 590a1? I thought the a1s had the heavy barrels. What did you have to modify? I haven't heard of anything like this before regarding needing to modify the heat shield for the surefire. Will look into it more.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Thanks for the links! Two things about this setup, it looks like it will not fit in the space that I showed in the second picture, and the light seems to be held far from the barrel. I prefer the light be closer also.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

I use a EOTech CFL-900-A1 Shotgun Adapter for M Series Tactical Illuminator Flashlights FREE S&H CFL-900-A1. EOTech Flashlight Accessories. to mount a Streamlight TLR-1 on a 590 SP. The bayonet lug needs to be cut off flush with the bottom tube ring. Mine is mounted behind the tube ring you might have to mount it in front because of the heat shield mount.

It you don't mind taking off the heat shield and you have the money, I would recommend an Elzetta shotgun light. I have the light mounted on a 590A1.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358448021.867787.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358448035.150726.jpg

http://www.elzetta.com/zsmFAQ.htm
    Last edited by Tony617; January 17th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.

I understand taking off the heat shield would open up almost limitless mounting opportunities, but at this moment I want to leave it on as it's how it came from the factory and it would be a waste just sitting in the corner somewhere. So for now, I want to see what my options with a heat shield on.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Quote Originally Posted by pattywak View Post
    Do you have the 590 or the 590a1? I thought the a1s had the heavy barrels. What did you have to modify? I haven't heard of anything like this before regarding needing to modify the heat shield for the surefire. Will look into it more.
    590A1 bought it bout 5 years ago, came with the heat shield got the surefire forend from ebay prety good deal at the time. As for the modifications all I did was take the heat shield off what I noticed was when moving the forend from the open to closed position it would not fully close.

Ah gotcha, the a1s have a thicker walled barrel, that may have been the cause of the issue with your surefire. Aside from this issue, how did you like the setup overall?
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

It is awesome, love the touch pad activation and with a flip of a switch it is constant. Love the feel more purchase on the forend while racking the slide. All in all I would not own anything different.

Thanks for the points. Do you have any pics of your setup? What model surefire forend do you have, the 323lmg?
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Links