A very Green NEWBIE to Shot Guns.

This is a discussion on A very Green NEWBIE to Shot Guns. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Boys & Girls very green on shot guns need help. All my arms thus far have been hand guns but thinking bout shotie for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: A very Green NEWBIE to Shot Guns.

Hey Boys & Girls very green on shot guns need help.

All my arms thus far have been hand guns but thinking bout shotie for home.

I saw a Sar with pistol grip I liked $ 442.00 I would like to be some what lower cost wise money tight

Thoughts on this Sar ???

Pump action is what I would like and really no thrills I do like the pistol grip .

Help please thanks

Try the local LGS or pawn shops for a used 870...

edit: new one's are probably still under 400 and actually available right now...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Pretty impressive look for the Special use shotgun. Never had my hands on one. Checked out a Saiga at my local shop though

I don't have any experience with the SAR. Googled it just now, and it looks pretty nice, just don't know how reliable it'll be, and how hard it will be to fix, if you have to get parts from Turkey.

I'd recommend you buy American, and go with a Remington 870. You can "Pimp" it out yourself, which is half the fun, and you know it'll go bang every time. Mossburg and a few others make pretty nice shotguns as well, if you care to shop around a little bit. You'll also beat the price of the SAR if you shop around a little.

Good luck
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Hard to beat the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870.
    Exacto and Civil_Response like this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

First, it's not a shot gun...it's a shotgun. If you're a rookie shotgunner, IMHO, you'd be money ahead to go with a more mainstream Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 variant. Why pick a relatively new, relatively obscure, Turkish-made scattergun when the world's most popular, most prolific, most respected social shotguns over the last 30-40 years are right under your nose? Unless, of course, you live in Istanbul.
    KBSR likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    There is a reason the 870 is the standard. I've seen and myself have short stroked many pump guns. 870's are probably the hardest to short stoke. They are the easiest to fully disassemble, and they have unlimited options. If Robocop is your thing, then I even have handled the bullpup kit that was pretty solid Features and Benefits for Bullpup Unlimited Shotgun Conversion Kit. I have a winchester 1300 defender that I purchased for 130 new from a guy, however, the standard pump is a 870. Second would be the Mossy 590.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

The Bullpup Unlimited Shotgun Conversion? Yeah, for only $375 more than an 870 costs you can; add a pound of weight, a ton of chunky handling, awkward loading & look just like a...comic book character. Will they take a personal check?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Welcome to shotguns from SE Michigan.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Another vote for an 870. Look around and get a used one for HD. Remember that if you ever need to use it for real defense it will likely be confiscated for a time and likely not cared for either. Same reason i don't like a tricked out race gun 1911 for HD.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The Bullpup Unlimited Shotgun Conversion? Yeah, for only $375 more than an 870 costs you can; add a pound of weight, a ton of chunky handling, awkward loading & look just like a...comic book character. Will they take a personal check?
    Never said I was a fan just that they existed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

My vote is get either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590, if you start off with a hunting model then add a short 18-20 inch barrel, a magazine extension and if you have the extra money a good surefire LED weapons light. Get yourself a few hundred rounds of practice ammo and use it (you can still get target load 12 GA for $5.99 a box even in this current craze, just bought some today at Academy)

Thanks to all I now think I will go with the mossberg 500

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Thanks to all I now think I will go with the mossberg 500
    FWIW...

Make sure and handle both the Mossy and Rem...

Safetys are about the only major difference on 'em and I preferred the 870.

Civil_Response likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I have owned a Remington 870, great gun - reliable, and accessories galore.

That said, I switched to the Mossberg 500 (and just acquired a Mossberg 930 last night as well). I love the platform, it's better (for me), mostly because I am a lefty and the safety works for anyone.

You can't go wrong with either, in my honest opinion... just handle them both and see what you think. If you already decided on the Mossberg, congratulations - and enjoy!

This thread needs pictures.

Mossberg 930:

/mnt/sdcard/Eye-Fi/CNA_6578.JPG by Mr. Chris Nauman, on Flickr

Mossberg 500:

Mossberg 500 Field & Defense by Mr. Chris Nauman, on Flickr

Remington 870:

IMAG0019_edit0 by Mr. Chris Nauman, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links