Questionable sale?

This is a discussion on Questionable sale? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about buying this rifle: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14991 But the guy is new and his only posts here are for selling his gun. Is there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questionable sale?

Questionable sale?

I've been thinking about buying this rifle:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14991

But the guy is new and his only posts here are for selling his gun. Is there any way to secure the sale at all? I'd like the gun and the price isn't bad but I just get a bad vibe from the idea of sending 650 to a new member that's only here to sell his M-17s he got in on trade.

Advice?
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

2. Remove Ads

Escrow is one way .. Personally i wont buy from anyone with low posts but that is a personal thing as i said

I've had a really good deal I've had to turn down before because of the same reasons. Just didn't feel right. I suppose he could send it to my FFL and I could send payment? Because the FFL wouldn't give up the rifle without registering it with my address and everything, so I wouldn't be able to steal the gun or anything, but there's no way to know I won't be sending my money to some guy who'll just pocket it and walk away.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

Lead Moderator
    Using an FFL is a good idea. However , reliability & finish/condition might be up in the air.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Using an FFL is a good idea. However , reliability & finish/condition might be up in the air.
    As in asking the guy to ship to my FFL before I pay?

What do you mean reliability finish/conidition might be up in the air?

Lead Moderator
    Yep, I think it is required to ship guns interstate thru an FFL(I may be wrong ) Reliability/ condition might not be 100 % if the gun is used. You may not know till you see the gun how good/ bad it is.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, no I know its required to ship to an FFL, but what I'm asking is if it'd be reasonable to ask to ship to the FFL before I pay, since shipping it to the FFL I couldn't get away with stealing it, but if I pay and he runs I have no way of tracking him down if provided with a false name and a bogus address like an abandoned house where he'd pick up the money.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    See if you can get your FFL to buy the gun off of him at or near the agreed price - assuming that you know your FFL well enough to do this. They will know how to handle questionable sales. Of course you could just ask your local FFL guy how to handle it, but they will probably tell you to ship through him so he can make a couple bucks on the deal..... and it will probably be the best idea.

Don't forget to have the Serial Number photographed and run through the local PD before you send payment for it. Buying stolen firearms is a big no-no. My local sherrif knows me well. I have run enough serial numbers ot make them ill (between car parts and firearms).
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Do you know a friend or relative that lives in Florida that could do a face to face? Someone you trust?

Administrator
    use pay pal

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Do you know a friend or relative that lives in Florida that could do a face to face? Someone you trust?
    No I don't know anyone in florida, I have family in the south, but they wouldn't be willing to go to another state to get me a gun. :D

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    use pay pal
    Won't paypal freeze your account and not help you with any transactions if they find out you're dealing with anything firearm related? All the guy that I'd be sending the money to would have to do is tell them that and I'd be just as screwed as just sending the money outright and not getting anything in return.

Administrator
    I don't know if they do that or not, never used them for gun stuff. Its worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't know if they do that or not, never used them for gun stuff. Its worth looking into.
    They will. They'll freeze your account and take your money if they find it was used for a firearm. There's a reason so many people refuse to use it for gun-related material. They're the spawn of anti-gun ebay.

First off, I wouldn't ship anything to anyone without recieveing payment first, and I doubt very much that he would too.

Second, I have a friend that has had his PayPal account closed for buying firearms with it.

How to get around both situations is beyond me, except for pure trust. In this day and age, trust is not something that comes easily.

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    First off, I wouldn't ship anything to anyone without recieveing payment first, and I doubt very much that he would too.

Second, I have a friend that has had his PayPal account closed for buying firearms with it.

How to get around both situations is beyond me, except for pure trust. In this day and age, trust is not something that comes easily.
    Yep, its a conundrum. Don't know what to do other than take a risk or pass up the sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links