Mossberg 500 Sights? etc.

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 Sights? etc. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a new Mossberg 500 and would like to upgrade or add new sights, any suggestions as to which and where to get ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Superhouse 15

Thread: Mossberg 500 Sights? etc.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Cool Mossberg 500 Sights? etc.

I just got a new Mossberg 500 and would like to upgrade or add new sights, any suggestions as to which and where to get them would be appreciated. I also don't like the pistol grip it came with, it seems cheap looking, and it is too small. Any other suggestions for parts I would also appreciate.

Please show pictures of yours with the upgrades.

Thx

2. Remove Ads

I upgraded mine with the Mossberg 500 GR sight kit. I don't think Mossberg makes 'em anymore, but you can find them on EBay or Gunbroker for approx. $75.00.

I have a Tru Glo "Gobble Stopper" red dot on one of mine. It's (obviously) made for turkey hunting but it's a great red dot for any use. Their 2X red dots are also good if you prefer a little magnification, but they take some getting used to. If you prefer you can find plenty of 18" and 20" barrels with rifle sights, and those can always be improved by adding an acrylic insert if needed. I have used huge replacement bead sights from Brownell's plenty of times in the past. IIRC Mossberg beads are 5-40 thread if you happen to have a bead sight barrel. They have several that are either fiber optic or large sized metal beads. I like the Meprolight or Trijicon night sight beads also. I have another 500 I use mostly as a slug gun. It has a Leupod shotgun scope on it, but I used an old set of Millett rings with pistol sights mounted to the top half of the ring. The Burris Angle Loc rings are the same size as the Millets so I used the Burris windage adjustable bottoms with the pistol sights on the top. I can shoot from close to far just by shifting my focus upwards.

As for a stock, use whichever you like that fits your individual size. I only have two suggestions. First, I'm no fan of pistol grips only. They look cool and are fun to play with but once you shoot them seriously you will find they come up short for most uses. Second, there are some nice AR15/M4 style collapsable stocks available, but avoid the ones that mount a shell holder to one side of the stock. There are plenty of reasons or scenarios where you might be force to shoot from your weak side shoulder and having that hard plastic shell holder there will literally break your face. ATI stocks are the ones that come to mind. The same thing can hapoen with a butt mounted elastic shell holder on a conventional stock. My suggestion is to get a few CCW. 4 round belt mount shell holders (quick on-off belt clip) and a real (think Mesa Tactical) side mount shell holder.

As for other parts, the only thing I would add before breaking in the gun is a good magazine follower. I personally prefer the molded orange or lime green ones with the little dimple in the middle so you can feel that it's not a live round. (maybe they are Scattergun Technologies?) but I do have some of the anodized aluminum ones also. (Brownell's again) . It doesn't need much, the 500 is a well-proven design.
    molleur likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

...I've used TruGlo Glo-Dot II...a snap-on fiber-optic type...has a notch that centers on factory bead...works fine...about $18 at Academy...

I replaced the bead on mine with one of these
    Meprolight Tru-Dot Shotgun Front Bead Sight 5-40 Thread Steel Matte

As to the pistol grip, Choate makes, or at least did make, a metal top-folding stock which doesn't interfere with the top mounted safety when folded. Locks in both positions. Best of both worlds.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Added a Picatinny rail and bought a nice reflex sight. I took my Mossy to the range yesterday to zero in the sight, awesome! super accurate.

XS Sight Systems - Sights

The xs sights are pricey but awesome..... i ordered a set of 24/7 big dots for my EDC gun.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Hugh_Jorgan
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...I've used TruGlo Glo-Dot II...a snap-on fiber-optic type...has a notch that centers on factory bead...works fine...about $18 at Academy...
    NICE...never even knew those existed!! For $15 (at Cabelas), how can you go wrong. Thanks for the tip (which is what the prostitute said to the leper right after sex!!).

Links