Lever-Gun Questions

This is a discussion on Lever-Gun Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not real odd why lots of people are looking at them. I'm pretty much sitting on my AR ammo so I want to look for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Lever-Gun Questions

Not real odd why lots of people are looking at them. I'm pretty much sitting on my AR ammo so I want to look for something that I can shoot and still have available stock. For me thats 357, with multiple 357 handguns a lever in 357 is pretty simple. But yep they are not cheap. Course a keltec in 9mm wouldn't be bad either.

2. Remove Ads

Well considering Ill be resupplying my sd handgun back up and rife in the next several months and after thinking hard on the possibilities 357 seems like the way to go all the way around. same ammo for all three.

Distinguished Member
    Jumped on this train two weeks ago. Here is my marlin 30-30, bought it used with a scope and sling. Haven't got to take it out yet, even 30-30 ammo is absent around here.30-30 1.jpg30-30 2.jpg
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I'm in the middle of a purchase for a Marlin 30/30 n-336 made in 1982. It has a straight stock and I think I am going to like it.

Be wary of the impulse to "standardize on one caliber." If you cannot find ammo in that caliber, you're stuck. Personally, I like having guns in multiple calibers, so the odds are I can always find ammo to feed something I have.

IMHO, if you are going to buy a rifle, get one in a true rifle caliber. In this case, .30-30 gets my vote. As impressive as the .357 Mag is out of a rifle barrel, the .30-30 is "mo bettah."
    shooterX, OldVet and Kilowatt3 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I agree with 10thmtn on the problem with "standardized" ammo. And I don't know of any "all-purpose" caliber created yet. Handgun calibers, even in a rifle, don't fufill the capabilities of a .30-06, and the -06 doesn't work so well in a handgun. While the .357 or .44 mags will work in the "crossover" zone, they still remain limited in power and range. Handy and convenient, yes. Magic answer and "do-it-all", no.

I enjoy shooting many calibers, and it has yet to cause any issues having more than one caliber on hand. The .357/44 lever actions make a fine "addition to," but not a "replacement for" having other calibers on hand.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Great advice all around..THANKS! Have a another question about the Marlins....what time frame are we talkin about when "quality issues" come into play? I would assume(hate to..but)that Remington ironed out the issues with the Marlin lever guns by now..just not real "up" on this.

"We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I would recommend a Weaver or Williams peep site, nearly as good as a scope but without the bulk or frailness.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Have a Winchester 9422(1977-78 vintage) but thinking of a center-fire rifle of this type. It will be a something to go in my car trunk or behind the seat of my pick-up. Consider it the civilian equivalent of a "patrol rifle"(at least the non-AR type).

Questions:
    * 30-30 or a pistol round? (handgun-wise my main EDC is either a 9mm or 45 ACP)
    * Marlin,Winchester or Mossberg?
    * New or used? Don't want to spend a fortune, but new levers are NOT crazy like AR's(even before the recent craziness)
    * Any particular advice on iron-sights...stock or after-market?
    * Must have accessories?

THANKS GUYS!
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links