Lever-Gun Questions

Lever-Gun Questions

This is a discussion on Lever-Gun Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have a Winchester 9422(1977-78 vintage) but thinking of a center-fire rifle of this type. It will be a something to go in my car trunk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Lever-Gun Questions

Lever-Gun Questions

Have a Winchester 9422(1977-78 vintage) but thinking of a center-fire rifle of this type. It will be a something to go in my car trunk or behind the seat of my pick-up. Consider it the civilian equivalent of a "patrol rifle"(at least the non-AR type).

Questions:
    * 30-30 or a pistol round? (handgun-wise my main EDC is either a 9mm or 45 ACP)
    * Marlin,Winchester or Mossberg?
    * New or used? Don't want to spend a fortune, but new levers are NOT crazy like AR's(even before the recent craziness)
    * Any particular advice on iron-sights...stock or after-market?
    * Must have accessories?

THANKS GUYS!
    kerberos likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I don't have much to add other then i'm getting the same setup here soon in 357 to help match my current ammo supply.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If its intent is defence, I'd get the .357 Mag for the additional rounds over a .30-30.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

gun2.jpggun.jpgMarlin 1894 in 44 magnum or 357

or

Marlin 336 in 30-30 which can be found new for well under 400.00

sights-I alwas mount a Lyman aperature target sight. The Marlins are already drilled to accept them. The iron sights work well enough as they are, I just like back ups.
    kerberos and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I was just about to say you should ask glockman...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I am actually thinking about the same thing. lol I am looking at the Marlin 30-30 so I can use as a Deer rifle, I have no real need to shoot past 100-150 yards
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Have a Winchester 9422(1977-78 vintage) but thinking of a center-fire rifle of this type. It will be a something to go in my car trunk or behind the seat of my pick-up. Consider it the civilian equivalent of a "patrol rifle"(at least the non-AR type).

Questions:
    * 30-30 or a pistol round? (handgun-wise my main EDC is either a 9mm or 45 ACP)
    * Marlin,Winchester or Mossberg?
    * New or used? Don't want to spend a fortune, but new levers are NOT crazy like AR's(even before the recent craziness)
    * Any particular advice on iron-sights...stock or after-market?
    * Must have accessories?

THANKS GUYS!
    1. 30-30... great defensive round with ballistics similar to 7.62x39

2. Marlin... Personal preference due to side ejection of spent cartridges (easier to scope mount if desired)

3. Used... Definitely used. Check local LGS or pawn shops and also compare to new. Quality has suffered in the recent years.

4. Aftermarket... Buckhorn style sights suck. I went with a peep sight rear, blade front combo from Skinner.

5. Butt-cuff and sling...

Not saying this is all a must...

But I recently spent months trying to figure out exactly what you describe.

Good luck.

edit: add'l info...

1. 30-30 is also cheap (relatively) and available everywhere (at least around here)

3. I forget when they started using cross-bolt safeties on the Marlin 336's, but I think mid-80's. I'd try to find one made before this.

4. Lymans were mentioned and they are great sights... I just didn't like how they mounted on the side of the rifle. (personal preference I guess) I imagine that the Lyman sight is much more adjustable than the Skinner, not sure. I also figure the Skinner's are more durable. They have available the same style with side wings to protect the sights further. Also when you change from the buckhorn barrel mounted rear sight and go to the receiver mounted type you increase your sight radius which should lead to increased accuracy.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I got a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum 5 years ago. Shoots both .38 and .357 and I have several .38 Snubnose revolvers, a .357 Snub, and a large frame .357 Revolver. I have tons of both .38 and .357 on hand. You should see what a stout .357 Magnum will do to a quarter inch steel plate out of a rifle barrel. It's not shabby.
    ctr and Snub44 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I am in the same boat as you. But I think availability has chosen for me. There is a Marlin 336 30-30 Winchester for $367 at my local Wal-Mart and there are a couple places that have ammunition for it right now. So I think Friday I will go get it. I also am limited on money and wanted something for home defense and hunting deer and boar.

VIP Member
    Marlin 336 models are easier to find and cost less than the models in 357. Hard to go wrong with either. I'd replace the 336 sight with a peep sight. Either Williams or Skinner, both are good.

The buckhorn sight on the 357 I had was excellent, that is to say I shot it well. Kicking myself for having sold that rifle.

I love my Marlin 336 in .30-30. Came with a mounted scope and sling for under $500. I like scopes on defensive rifles - helps with target identification even at closer range in situations like dim light and shadows.

Only thing I added was a butt cuff for 10 more rounds on the gun. 6+1+10 should handle anything you are realistically going to face.

I use 170 gr JSP ammo - the ballistics are significantly better than the 7.62 x 39.
    kerberos likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Marlin 336 models are easier to find and cost less than the models in 357...
    Why are lever guns in 357Mag so dad-blamed expensive? I want one so bad!
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

If you're getting just one, I'd favor a .30-30. Fewer rounds than the .357 or .44 cal models, but there's no question about "fighting your way to a rifle." Plus, there are more .30-30s available on the used market than any other caliber.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

i'd say a 357 from henry or marlin, the up side is you can run 38 spl too
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Funny, I have been looking into this too.

My eye on Marlin and Henry's 30-30....but thought about the .357 and .44 options as well.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links