mossberg 500 ghost ring question

This is a discussion on mossberg 500 ghost ring question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; will the ghost ring rear sights that are for the mossy 500 fit into the factory rear holes? or is there some gunsmithing required? not ...

will the ghost ring rear sights that are for the mossy 500 fit into the factory rear holes? or is there some gunsmithing required? not sure how the rear sights are mounted. what do you have on your gun? i know the front sight is going to require gunsmithing but not sure about the rear.

my mossy in factory drilled and tapped.
    thanks
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    will the ghost ring rear sights that are for the mossy 500 fit into the factory rear holes? or is there some gunsmithing required? not sure how the rear sights are mounted. what do you have on your gun? i know the front sight is going to require gunsmithing but not sure about the rear.

my mossy in factory drilled and tapped.
    thanks
    There is no gun smithing for the rear sight if your receiver is drilled and tapped. It screws in with just two screws.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

thanks, that's what i thought but couldnt find anything that said that. do you have any recommendations for a good ghost ring set up?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

The 930 SPX comes with LPA ghost rings, I really like the sight set up. The rear is on a section of Picatinny rail. And the front is substantial. Adjustments are very easy with the rear.

I have shot an 870 with their standard ghost ring from the factory, the LPA set is much better.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The 930 SPX comes with LPA ghost rings, I really like the sight set up. The rear is on a section of Picatinny rail. And the front is substantial. Adjustments are very easy with the rear.

I have shot an 870 with their standard ghost ring from the factory, the LPA set is much better.
    I agree. I have the old style ghost rings on my 500 and the newer LPA type sights are superior. I'd guess that they are also more expensive.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Links