Shotgun V Rifle Debate Finally Over

This is a discussion on Shotgun V Rifle Debate Finally Over within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well folks, finally the debate over what is better to use for defense, a shotgun or a rifle, has finally been settled. Vice President Biden ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Shotgun V Rifle Debate Finally Over

Shotgun V Rifle Debate Finally Over

Well folks, finally the debate over what is better to use for defense, a shotgun or a rifle, has finally been settled. Vice President Biden has gone on record saying that a rifle should not be used for self defense. (Silly military) instead a shotgun is much better, especially a double barreled version, his words not mine. More accurate, easier to use. So finally I can stop reading all these posts on the subject.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

Seriously, he was so sure of himself too. Loved the time he said "magazines that can hold 40 clips". What a doofus that guy is.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    So - this shotgun would be ok to buy? Full auto shotgun - YouTube
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Look up doofus in the Webster dictionary = Picture of Joe Biden

VIP Member
    He isn't wrong. Within the US, there are few SD uses for a rifle outside of military or police applications, which
    can't be met with a pistol or with a shotty.

For SD you have to be in imminent danger and a reasonable person reasonably in fear for your life.
    Typically, these situations occur at bad breath distance. Trying to make an SD case for a 200 yard shot
    isn't going to be easy.

I'm in no way opposed to folks owning rifles, but I see them as the least useful for the most
    likely SD situation the ordinary guy might encounter.

Are there any (within the USA) good examples of where someone other than LE had to take
    a longish (say 200 yards) shot in self defense?

If you did it you'd most likely have pretty hard job justifying that you were ---pick the wording of your own
    state's self defense law.
    Buckeye00 and Cdknox like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    He isn't wrong. Within the US, there are few SD uses for a rifle outside of military or police applications, which
    can't be met with a pistol or with a shotty.

For SD you have to be in imminent danger and a reasonable person reasonably in fear for your life.
    Typically, these situations occur at bad breath distance. Trying to make an SD case for a 200 yard shot
    isn't going to be easy.

I'm in no way opposed to folks owning rifles, but I see them as the least useful for the most
    likely SD situation the ordinary guy might encounter.

Are there any (within the USA) good examples of where someone other than LE had to take
    a longish (say 200 yards) shot in self defense
    ?

If you did it you'd most likely have pretty hard job justifying that you were ---pick the wording of your own
    state's self defense law.
    Well, when I boat in southern waters... There are Pirates and if I know they are 'gunning for me', I would prefer to warn them at a distance that I am not going down easy...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I think my rifle's terminal ballistic performance and accuracy at 5 yards is so much better than a pistol or shotgun, it makes a good self defense choice. The fact that it can also hit accurately out to several hundred yards has nothing to do with the range I would be using it at for self defense. I would rather have 20-30 aimed shots than 8 or 9. That's just me. I have a shotgun too - I like shotguns. I have pistols too - and I like them.

Also - there is another thread running on the Vice President's stupid comment....

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    Well, when I boat in southern waters... There are Pirates and if I know they are 'gunning for me', I would prefer to warn them at a distance that I am not going down easy...
    I know you jest.
    But boating on the Rio Grande and Falcon Lake in Texas you just might be "gunned for". I think it's better now. But for a while a gun rack on your jet ski would have been a good idea.

Uhh also. Two shots from his double is equal to firing half of my high capacity "clip" even with my "high capacity bullets"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeye77 View Post
    I know you jest.
    But boating on the Rio Grande and Falcon Lake in Texas you just might be "gunned for". I think it's better now. But for a while a gun rack on your jet ski would have been a good idea.

Uhh also. Two shots from his double is equal to firing half of my high capacity "clip" even with my "high capacity bullets"
    I didn't think he was jesting. I thought those folks in Oregon just scared him.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I think my rifle's terminal ballistic performance and accuracy at 5 yards is so much better than a pistol or shotgun, it makes a good self defense choice. The fact that it can also hit accurately out to several hundred yards has nothing to do with the range I would be using it at for self defense. I would rather have 20-30 aimed shots than 8 or 9. That's just me. I have a shotgun too - I like shotguns. I have pistols too - and I like them.

Also - there is another thread running on the Vice President's stupid comment....

Austin
    5 yards? 15 feet? Surely you jest or you mistyped. You are worried about the ballistics of
    say a 180 gr .40 at 15 feet v the energy of 55 gr from a .223 and you think you can quickly
    sight your rifle better than point shoot at that short distance?

At that distance I'd use the rifle (the old fashioned kind with stout wooden stock) to bust a head and break something between the legs.
    Andrew Jackson

Apparently you missed the story of the 15 yr old that defended himself and sister with an AR. A carbine would be much more usable. Look at the guys in the sandbox - they clear homes with AR's. What about the guy that shot the BG with the 357 at 60 or 120 yds (whatever it was) - he would've been better off with a rifle. What about SD situations where accuracy better than a softball at 7 yds is needed? What about the guy in the mall last year that could only provide suppression fire with his snubby? Why are more and more LEO's using AR's if a dbl barrel would be better.

but hey, thanks for playin'.

Already running here. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...f-shotgun.html

Besides, it's debatable whether shotguns are better than rifles. That's material for a separate thread though.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links