Mixed shot selection

This is a discussion on Mixed shot selection within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently bought a Remington 870 combo and set it up with the 20" barrel. I live in the country and there are no neighbors. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By aus71383
  • 4 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Mixed shot selection

Mixed shot selection

I recently bought a Remington 870 combo and set it up with the 20" barrel. I live in the country and there are no neighbors. The only entry point is up a long driveway. For that reason I think worst case scenario would be multiple bad guys and a vehicle. I plan to keep the 870 loaded and handy but what do I load it with?

I am thinking of loading it in this fashion, 00 buck, 00 buck, 000 buck, slug, slug. Does that buy me the versatility I want? Does it even matter? I would appreciate any advice.

Regards.

2. Remove Ads

If you practice you can substitute rounds as you go. Then you can just keep the tube full of 00 buck, and have a pouch or carrier with slugs and 000 buck available.

I am not a fan of mix loading.

Austin
    Superhouse 15 and tacman605 like this.

I use winchester pdx-1. 1oz slug with 3 00 buck pellets. Power of a slug with a little pellet spread into the mix.

I would just keep it loaded with 00 buck, and then have slugs and some extra buckshot in a side saddle.

Under stress, you aren't going to be able to keep track of what round is coming up next. There are a lot fewer possible situations where you need a slug than buckshot for defense. So, practice a loading method to put slugs in when you need them, but stick with buckshot as the main round.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

There are some excellent points made on the comments and I will try them all. My thought for a realistic test is to put targets out at likely engagement distance out to approximately 70 feet. I'll start as suggested with 00 buck and work 5 targets, switch to 000 buck, PDX-1 and finally mixed. Reloading will be another experiment because I will use a tactical sling and a side saddle. That should give me enough info to make an educated guess as to what will serve my needs.

Thanks for your input.

Select a premium load like the Federal Flite Control buckshot. I use the low recoil OO Personal Defense load personally. It will give you excelent patterns from typical open-choke defense guns. It will keep more pellets on target at a longer range than a regular buckshot load. Good job for testing, I find that many people select a shotgun load without ever patterning it. Trust me that you can get a surprise doing that.

I hear that Winchester and Hornady have high tech wads out also, personally I have no experience with them. I have shot a buch of the Flite Control and it's all I use for defense. I am no fan of mixing loads in any gun for self defense. I can't see how you could keep track under stress.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

SuperHouse15... I like your comment about the Federal Flite Control. It seems I need to add it to the list of 00 buck to shoot. Recoil does not bother me but it does if it means lack of control. I like the idea of longer range with reduced recoil. However, I will checkout the federal versus all the other.

Any other suggestions for good personal defense shot?

Just a brief comment about the mixed loads. I am a fan of repetition, repetition, repetition and perfect practice. If I would decide to go with mixed loads I would know what comes next. It's a bit like seeing two tracer rounds in the 30 round mag and knowing what comes next. It's still an undecided issue for me and I do appreciate all the comments.

Regards.

VIP Member
    The practice of stacking the mag tube never seems to work out you never have the right round in the chamber at the time you need it.

Since you are using a sidesaddle load the tube with 00 buck and the side saddle with your specialty rounds. In regards to the tracer comment, that is a visual cue that you would not have with mixed shotgun rounds. It is great in theory that you load tracers at the bottom of the mag so you know when you see them it is time to reload but as mentioned in the heat of the moment you would be surprised how many bolt's lock to the rear on an empty mag with the shooter never even registering the tracers coming out.

It is like trying to count your rounds in a gunfight it simply won't happen the majority of the time. When involved in a real world encounter your world shrinks down to the front sight and the trigger your brain is focused on those things for most counting how many shots fired from your mag just does not happen.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Sound advice all around IMHO. I'll slightly hijack the thread and ask if you have a rifle of some sort in your HD arsenal? it sounds like the distances and lack of neighbors might lend itself to giving that 870 some company in the form of a handy rifle(lever-action or AR-carbine type platform). Just my $.02. Something also tells me Sgt Rock('repetition' , 'perfect practice' and his tracer rd comments)has some trigger time behind him.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Tacman, you are right about encountering a situation where you just don't have the right round in the chamber. That could happen with 00 buck, mixed loads or slug. The side saddle and sling might help with that though I doubt I'd have an opportunity to reload. I think if I don't end quickly what someone else starts I'm SOL.

Old Grunt, I go out the door with an LC9 and it would compliment the 870. I do have a DPMS and I will consider that option. Actually the DPMS would "feel" most natural to me and the transition from primary to secondary weapon quicker. LOL but that can be an entirely new thread in itself.

One thing that would help is pushing the perimeter alerting out farther than the doorbell. I have lots to consider, lots to do. Keep the ideas coming guys. It is all appreciated.

Bought a driveway alarm yesterday from Harbor Freight, for 12.95 on sale. Effective to 400 feet or so it says. My driveway is about 330 feet, so I'll let you know how it works. I just want to know when someone enters the property, so I can meet them at the door, rather than them be at the door before I know they're here. My dog, 130 pound lab is old, and losing his hearing. Usually barks at the person after they're in the house. :)

Might want to add this to your plan too.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Ok, I have 00 buckshot from 3 different manufacturers. Despite the 4" of snow, I want to pattern them tomorrow at 5 yard intervals out to 25 yards. I will likely try a few out to 35 yards. If I can find some PDX-1 I will try it also.

Thanks.

I patterned the 00 buck yesterday and was pleased with the spread out to 25 yards. I worked with the new sling and did some transitions primary to secondary. I wasn't happy with the sling arrangement but it is functional. I'll keep working it

Mixed shot selection

Federal #4 buck with flight control

Search here
    Or

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469122
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

Links