Can someone help me find the actual law on this

This is a discussion on Can someone help me find the actual law on this within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've read, heard, and been told that Texas residents can only buy long guns within TX or the adjacent states. "Texas: Residents of Texas may ...

Thread: Can someone help me find the actual law on this

VIP Member

I've read, heard, and been told that Texas residents can only buy long guns within TX or the adjacent
    states.

"Texas: Residents of Texas may purchase long guns in the states of
    Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and New Mexico."

I can not however actually find the law.

Anyone know the citation or the wording of the Texas law?

Not sure if this is in the right forum-- apologies to mods if I got it wrong.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I'm not sure of the law in Texas, but in most states (if not all) you can order a firearm from a dealer in any state and have it shipped to a Texas FFL. If buying in person in another state and transporting back to Texas, you would need to not only make sure that your Texas permit allows you to buy in that state, but also carefully check the regulations in any states you'd have to traverse in returning to Texas.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

My local walmart has a poster posted showing what states you can be from and still purchase a rifle or shot gun in Mississippi. Next time I am in there I will see if the poster cites any law.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    I'm not sure of the law in Texas, but in most states (if not all) you can order a firearm from a dealer in any state and have it shipped to a Texas FFL. If buying in person in another state and transporting back to Texas, you would need to not only make sure that your Texas permit allows you to buy in that state, but also carefully check the regulations in any states you'd have to traverse in returning to Texas.
    I'm asking only about long guns, so the TX permit is not an issue. No permit needed for long guns.

Let me try to explain-- As I understand it, I could go to a state other than Texas to purchase a long gun but
    they may not sell it to me if they are not one of the states which share a border with Texas.

I've been told this by out of state FFLs, by a participant here who is an FFL in NY, and I can find
    mention of this on the web, too. But, I can't find the actual statute.

Federal law says it is OK to buy long guns out of state so long as the law of the state in which it is purchased is
    met, and the law in the state of residence of the purchaser is met. That makes sense. I understand that.
    [It is for us to buy a long gun in OK, for example. and our dealers can sell to someone from WA, if
    WA allows their residents to make the purchase.]

I'm looking for the text (or a citation) to the law which prohibits Texans from buying long guns outside of Texas except
    in adjacent states.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    My local walmart has a poster posted showing what states you can be from and still purchase a rifle or shot gun in Mississippi. Next time I am in there I will see if the poster cites any law.
    Thank you. I have been able to find lists on the net, and TX isn't the only state with a similar law. But,
    I can't find the actual code. So, yes, if you are able to see it on their poster please let me know.
    Andrew Jackson

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry...onth-2010.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'm asking only about long guns, so the TX permit is not an issue. No permit needed for long guns.

Let me try to explain-- As I understand it, I could go to a state other than Texas to purchase a long gun but
    they may not sell it to me if they are not one of the states which share a border with Texas.

I've been told this by out of state FFLs, by a participant here who is an FFL in NY, and I can find
    mention of this on the web, too. But, I can't find the actual statute.

Federal law says it is OK to buy long guns out of state so long as the law of the state in which it is purchased is
    met, and the law in the state of residence of the purchaser is met. That makes sense. I understand that.
    [It is for us to buy a long gun in OK, for example. and our dealers can sell to someone from WA, if
    WA allows their residents to make the purchase.]

I'm looking for the text (or a citation) to the law which prohibits Texans from buying long guns outside of Texas except
    in adjacent states.
    Gotcha.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Hopyard - not my state, so I'm not well versed, but I found two versions of Sec. 46.07:

from: ss.utpb.edu/media/files/university-police/TEXAS-WEAPON-LAWS.pdf

"46.07 Interstate Purchase
    A resident of this state, may if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in contiguous states. This authorization is enacted in conformance with Section 922(b)(3)(A), Public Law 90-618, 90th Congress."

And then from:

PENAL CODE**CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

"PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE. A resident of this state may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in another state. This authorization is enacted in conformance with 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(3)(A).

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Renumbered from Penal Code Sec. 46.08 by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994."

Amended by:

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 280, Sec. 1, eff. May 30, 2009.

"Contiguous" is used in the first version, but not the second. Hope that at least gives you somewhere to search for more info.

Links