Hmm, wondering about....

Hmm, wondering about....

This is a discussion on Hmm, wondering about.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; doing something strange. I really like the 7.62x54R cartridge, even if it is kinda expensive in commercial loadings, and most surplus is corrosive. It has ...

Thread: Hmm, wondering about....

Hmm, wondering about....

doing something strange. I really like the 7.62x54R cartridge, even if it is kinda expensive in commercial loadings, and most surplus is corrosive. It has knockdown like very few modern military rifle cartridges, and is still in production. Plus, I love hearng the roar and lightning from my Mosins.
    My point is, I wonder what anyone would think about choosing the Romak 3 Dragunov clone as an MBR? Ditch the scope, and go to a reflex sight, or irons. 10 round mags, but I wonder if anyone will make 20s sometime later...
    Darn thing is expensive, way way outa my price range right now, at $800, but it just tickles my fancy, and looks useful/utliltarian. Whaddya think?

While I think there are better choices out there, it would work. The cartridge is a good one but unless you plan on stocking plenty, it may become hard to find ammo for it in the future. Myself I lean to a 308 because the ammo is far more common in the US. I think it would be a great extra gun but I'd go with a M1A, AR10, Garand, FAL or HK 91 as your MAIN Battle Rifle.
    Why not a Garand from the CMP instead for half the cost? With the Garand, there would be no extra mags to worry about buying, just the common and cheap Garand Clips, it has great sights, and the 30-06 is very common.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    i'd go 308. Cheap commonly available ammo, can be had in a practical carbine legnth rifle with high capacity mags. Nearly as much power as the russian cartridge.

JT
    I agree about the 308. Great round to build an arsenal around. You can get a Saiga, FAL, CETME, Springfield M1A, AR10, Remington 700, etc. All sorts of options to start cheap and move up to more expensive guns while staying with the same round.

VIP Member
    I have to agree on a .308 based platform for a MBR. I just don't trust government, ours or theirs. So while I don't think getting the ammo is an issue at this point, or for the forseeable future (2008), who knows what may happen later.

Then again you can probably get a lot of enjoyment out of a Combloc setup by 2008. ;)

Maybe I need my tinfoil hat.

Yeah, me too, passing fancy. I think sticking with the FAL idea would be best...but there is something about the way a Dragunov looks.....

I would skip it go with somethign more STD cetme fal ar etc etc

ArmoredMan, I hear you on the Dragunov comment, that rifle does have an inexplainable mystique about it.

But still the .308 is a better round to build your collection around. If you already have a few .223's it is a common progression. I have been looking at a G3 for sometime.

~A

Links